Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Dust: An Elysian Tail out on Steam  (Read 2698 times)

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: May 26, 2013, 09:16:26 PM »
+1
► WTF Is... - Dust: An Elysian Tail ?
When TB's actually gushing over it, you know it's a must get.
...I kinda wish we had more Metroidvania May Cry games like this.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 02:57:34 AM »
+2
Was really impressed with this game, it deserves all the praise it's gotten. Back in the day (90's, so SNES or Gen), we'd have all gladly paid $50 and upwards for a game of this caliber, and hailed it as a masterpiece.  We'd be still talking about it today, and bitching about how much the sequels had 'sold out', or weren't innovative enough.

Game isn't perfect, there is some cheese. Some of it is still funny, if you allow yourself to chuckle at it. The fact that this game was done almost entirely by one guy, in only 4 years, is almost hard to believe. The man must've been eating, writing, coding, and doing artwork even while going to the bathroom. What he really deserves a pat on the back for is how enjoyable and fairly easy to pick up the combat is. I wish Bloodrayne: Betrayal (still a great game mind you) had been this fluid. And the combat, while fluid, also thankfully has a feeling of weight to it. Any action game fan, especially of the 2D variety, will appreciate this.  IMO, one of the most enjoyable and tightest combat systems in any 2D action this gen is The Dishwasher series. Even so, the game often feels like you're just a cursor darting around the screen. Dust finds a happy medium.

Visually the game is a treat. Like in SotN, I often found myself enjoying the environment as much as the gameplay. While some may find it a bit too Adobe Flash/Newgrounds looking at times, I can't help but reiterate that if Dust: An Elysian Tale had been released, as is, on either the SNES or Genesis, or heck even the Dreamcast or PS1 (but no N64, they couldn't jam enough chips in one of those carts to hold all the voice acting in this game), we'd still be talking about it today. I'm not saying it's the best game in the genre I've ever played, but it is a fun and deep game, and one that leaves me extremely excited for what this guy has in store for his next game.

So, yeah, if you've been waiting for this to come to PC, or never picked it up on XBLA, and you like Metroid style games, and have a thing for DMC or Ninja Gaiden (or LoS  ;D ), you might wanna think about getting this.  Just sayin'.
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 03:19:06 AM »
Been looking at the game since before X360's release. Definitely great. Was wondering myself to get it early or wait for a price drop. But TB's impression of the PC port pushed me over to getting it right away.

Been having a blast, but I'm dying quite a bit, mostly from spikes and those shielded trolls. But I went almost full on attack and magic.

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 03:40:08 AM »
lol, just finished watching the vid (great review btw), and he said pretty much what I've said. Great fluid combat, great visuals, ect.... He even went into how this would be considered an absolute classic had it been released back in the day.

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:42:50 AM »
Been looking at the game since before X360's release. Definitely great. Was wondering myself to get it early or wait for a price drop. But TB's impression of the PC port pushed me over to getting it right away.

Been having a blast, but I'm dying quite a bit, mostly from spikes and those shielded trolls. But I went almost full on attack and magic.

I died a lot too when I first stated playing. You have to learn to properly block, dodge and parry. Set it to easy if you need to, for a bit. No shame in just enjoying the game.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:00:14 AM »
You .... can block?

One of the big reason that I die is that I don't dodge because, unlike TB's opinion, I don't think the controls (at least for dodging) is good for PC. Wished it was just one button (shift) with direction button.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 12:56:19 AM »
OMG....... you guys have to play this game. Just found the most hilarious Castlevania Reference in the game.

Beat the game too.

17 Hours, and 117%.
Had to look for help twice or three times I think, for hidden locations.

Tags:

anything