Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Carpathian Night Starring Bela Lugosi  (Read 104805 times)

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 02:08:19 PM »
Thanks, you aren't the first person to mention the walk speed actually. I'm trying to keep the lance character close to Simon, but my second playable character, Irina, is still in early stages of design. I do know for a fact that I want her to play very different from the lance hero, and the feedback that keeps coming back is the movement speed. I think I'm going to experiment with her a lot to make sure she fills in the gap of fast playstyle, while keeping the lancer slow and Belmont-like.

I'll be sure to show some videos of Irina once I feel confident that she's a good alternative character.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 03:16:54 PM »
if you're going for a pseudo-retro look and sound, then get rid of the angling-based rotation on that spikeball platform circler

for one the angling rotation isn't going nearly fast enough for how fast the enemy/hazard itself is actually moving, and it draws unnecessary attention to itself

it also just doesn't look very good

it immediately detracts from the intended pseudo-retro vibe (the above plays into this also), which is a problem when everything else seems to know what it wants to be

it's one little geometrically simple spiker enemy--having actual frames for that shouldn't be any kind of trouble, hell even the CV this draws inspiration from had a twoframe for its version of the same enemy

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 05:44:52 PM »
I'll be sure to show some videos of Irina once I feel confident that she's a good alternative character.
A female character lead in a game with "Wallachia" in the name? nice Migami reference there!

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 08:40:18 PM »
if you're going for a pseudo-retro look and sound, then get rid of the angling-based rotation on that spikeball platform circler

Okay, I didn't know that people would be distracted by the tween animation. Noted.

nice Migami reference there!

I'm not familiar with their work nor have I ever played their games. I've been asking for feedback for Wallachian Night online since 2016, back when it was just a side hobby project of mine. I'm clearly taking many ideas from other games, but I've been transparent about the source material this whole time, namely Super Castlevania IV, first and foremost. Last year I did an interview describing the various movies and games that have influenced my design of Wallachian Night, and that interview can be found here:

(click to show/hide)

Offline aensland

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Music Concert 1st Place 2017-02-Music Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 09:21:39 PM »
I'm not familiar with their work nor have I ever played their games. I've been asking for feedback for Wallachian Night online since 2016, back when it was just a side hobby project of mine. I'm clearly taking many ideas from other games, but I've been transparent about the source material this whole time, namely Super Castlevania IV, first and foremost.
This will be my last post regarding this coincidence since it could be a thread derailment, but that part kinda ticked me off because

Anyways, my point is that you should be careful of people not confuse both project, would harm both of Migami people and you in the end if potential players get confused about which game is which

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2018, 08:37:07 AM »
This will be my last post regarding this coincidence since it could be a thread derailment, but that part kinda ticked me off because

Similarly, this will also be my last post on the name as well. So it seems they mentioned a game called Wallachia in 2015, and that's fine. If you consider that the historical prince Dracula of Wallachia has been connected to the fictional Dracula since Stoker's novel from over a century ago, and that Castlevania incorporates the location of the games into the title of the game (Castle+Transylvania = Castlevania), it could only be expected that fan games would have either Transylvania or Wallachia as a setting and within the title to make the tribute to Castlevania clear. In fact, my game development folder for this is still called Transylvania Legends, which was the title of the game before I found out that a mobile game with that exact name already exists on the app stores.

I don't know how the Migami guys feel about it, they may see it as unfortunate that they have to worry about a competing product with a similar name, but that's just the hand we were dealt. With the recent increase in Castlevania's popularity due to the Netflix show and Bloodstained, we can probably expect to see more indie games with similar names to ours. I have only shown kindness to the Migami guys since they first notified me of their game, and I will continue to see them as fellow Castlevania fans more than anything.

But yes, let this be the final post about this, because so far, I've really appreciated all of the feedback I've received and I wish for this thread to continue being primarily for that.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2018, 09:00:25 AM »
just a detail clarification, wanna confirm that the other project's been in the works since at least late 2011, but it went by a different name then (setting/plot was largely the same though)

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2018, 02:49:22 PM »
+1
I don't believe that because this game has "Wallachia" in the title and features a female character to play as means he took the idea from Mig, or even that his project was inspired by it. As Dracula9 brought up, it certainly looks like Mig's game has been around for some time, but I don't think that really matters. It's a project heavily inspired by both Castlevania and Vlad Tepes, so it's not unusual that Wallachia or Translvania could be used in the name. It's also possible that Vlad was completely unaware of Migs game.

Seems like a silly thing to talk about, but maybe that's just me.

*shrugs*
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:33:49 PM by ProjectDread »

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2018, 05:17:02 PM »
+1
The second playable character, Irina:

Offline Briraka

• Hunter in Training
  • \m/
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2018, 02:18:56 AM »
cool, is she going to be the belmont of the game or something different?

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 08:52:39 AM »
cool, is she going to be the belmont of the game or something different?

I'm still test playing various weapons and playstyles for her, so I'm not sure exactly how she will turn out yet. But yes, the whip is one of the weapons I'm considering.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »
Plot and Character details below:

Plot:
(click to show/hide)

Characters:
(click to show/hide)

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 10:26:58 AM »
+1
I'm making an announcement about a major change in the design of this game.

In a previous reply, I explained that I have changed the name and setting of this game once already. My announcement is that I will once again be changing the name of the game and it's setting. While I feel happy with the progress we've made with the gameplay, art, music, and programming, the story seems to be the one aspect of the game I can't ever find myself satisfied with. I feel like placing the game in a real world setting with real historical figures limits my creative freedom, and every writing sessions feels like I have to stay within self imposed confines.

This game will now take place in a completely fictional world, with a different storyline and characters. Stay tuned for updates on the new name and story.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 10:32:25 PM »
This will likely be my last update before releasing the demo to you guys. Below is a more recent gameplay video showing some graphical improvements and a new section of the opening level:

https://youtu.be/OYSN9HTIef8

Let me know if you guys have any questions or feedback, and thanks!

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 11:25:05 AM »
Name change is official and permanent- Carpathian Night. The story will revolve around the fictional Bram Stoker Dracula, not the historical prince of Wallachia. However, like the movie Dracula Untold, I will attempt to combine the fictional and historical Dracula into one.

Update on the game:
I quickly hacked together a simple speed run mode, and streamed my Level 1 attempts on the Castlevania fan group Facebook page a few days ago. I'm going to leave this feature in for the demo.

I lost some dev time over the last few weeks due to personal issues, so unfortunately, the demo will be delayed. Despite the setback, I am very confident that the demo will be ready at the end of April, or beginning of May. End of May at the latest.

Additionally, while I was speed running the game, I felt that some parts of the mechanics need refinement. This is also part of the reason the demo will be slightly delayed.

Stay tuned.

Tags: