Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The latest Nintendo Direct (2013-01-23)  (Read 8245 times)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: January 23, 2013, 06:51:17 AM »
+1
Nintendo's "Nintendo Direct" Video for 2013-01-23

Nintendo Direct, the video that plays periodically courtesy of Nintendo, gave us some news and some videos.  Here are the highlights:

-Iwata apologies that there will be no new first-party Nintendo titles during January or February for Wii-U.
-A Platinum Games showcase of their studio, and them programming "Bayonetta 2" and "The Wonderful 101" for Wii-U.
-A Collaboration Game - "Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem", Atlus+Nintendo.
-What APPEARS to be a.... Sequel?.... to XENOBLADE CHRONICLES (But I'm not certain... the title is just "X" but the "X" looks like the one in Xenoblade.  The combat also resembles Xenoblade a lot but with new characters).  It showcases huge HD monsters and visuals with a fight menu similar to Xenoblade.  Also (obviously), it's made by Monolithsoft.
-New Pikmin3 features (a photo snapshot mode)
-A new "Yoshi" game (NOT Yoshi's Island with Baby Mario) seems to be in the same universe as Yoshi's Story, and now looks VERY similar to it, only in HD.  Also, everything is Yarn, like in "Kirby's Epic Yarn".

-Although they talked about Super Smash Bros. they are not able to release any visuals but claim that more info will be shown at E3.  Seems like this year's E3 will be when more of Nintendo's 'beefier' content will be shown.

Additions to Miiverse:
-Dedicated communities, and possible allowing user communities.
-Users can spot Game Developers based on the way their Mii Icon looks.
-Allows users to filter content better so that good posts don't get lost in the stream.

Virtual Console for Wii-U will hit this Spring, but not every title will be available right away.  Titles are being redeveloped for Wii-U and Off-TV play.
-If you own a Wii version of a Virtual Console game, the price to get the Wii-U version falls to $1 for NES, and $1.50 for SNES.
-They are launching a "Famicom 30 Year Anniversary" by launching one game per month during this year at a low special Anniversary price of $0.30 (that's thirty cents).
Games that are part of this include Donkey Kong, Balloon Fight, Super Metroid, and others (see video).

They're remaking Wind Waker from scratch, with Wii-U HD Visuals, for Wii-U, to quench the Zelda thirst, until the new Zelda game is revealed.  Wind Waker will come out in the fall.  They have also optimized the gameplay but were not specific how, exactly.  Visually it looks pretty stunning, however.  And you can play it on just the Gamepad, too.
Wind Waker HD Kotaku article
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:53:40 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: The latest Nintendo Direct (2013-01-23)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:00:39 AM »
At first I thought Nintendo was gonna let me down.

Then the last 10 minutes was just a ultra combo over and over and Xenoblade 2(?) was the upper cut. And then there's the games they're keeping for E3.  :o

Now I know for a fact that im getting a Wii U this summer.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:02:31 AM by Kingshango »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 07:08:20 AM »
Wow, I can already hear the money bags piling up.
Also, MegaTen X FE? Goddamn, MegaTen alone is already buttrape-y enough, and now you add freakin' FE into the mix? Lucifer help me.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 07:09:51 AM »
The Yarn Yoshi looks adorable.

But yeah.... oh god Xenoblade... I won't be able to mod the forum for a while when that comes out...

Also, at E3 it seems we will get some news about a new 3D Mario title (from the Super Mario Galaxy developers), the info on Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart, and the info on Zelda.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:26:47 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Profbeanburrito

• Vampire Killer
  • Master Hunter
  • The Mask is a powerful device...
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 08:19:42 AM »
I've wanted a Wii U for awhile now, but now I'm really going to have to get one.  New 3D Mario is enough to get me excited, but the Yoshi game looks great and the Wind Waker remake sounds great. And with news of Smash Bros at E3 that must be coming sooner than I thought. Now I just want to see Metroid and F-Zero
What a horrible night to have a curse!

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »
Wow, I can already hear the money bags piling up.
Also, MegaTen X FE? Goddamn, MegaTen alone is already buttrape-y enough, and now you add freakin' FE into the mix? Lucifer help me.

Fire emblem is getting some serious love that alone got me the most pumped out of all of them

and developers see wind waker that looks like a true hd remake dang it take lessons. I will have to buy a wii-u when fire emblem comes out but man how will it work ahh the wonders...
Also as far as smash bros is concerned the only way I'll buy it is if there is a castlevania character or maybe a tales of character  :P
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:31:42 AM »
A Tales character is most likely gonna happen.
LLOYD'S OUR BOY! LLOYD'S OUR BOY!
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »
Thanks for the share Jorge! A lot of really exciting news indeed!

Looks like Nintendo feels bad about the lack of titles for this and next month and are definitely ramping things up! My free time is just going to vanish.  ;D

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:15:15 AM »
Why does Wind Waker HD not look as pretty as the original? :< Colors aren't vibrant enough and the cartoony look isn't as strong.

The character shadows are also less comic booky/cel-shaded and more "natural light"/less interesting.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:26:58 AM »
Heads up!
Nintendo's Wii-U Virtual Console lets you configure the controller layouts finally.

@Freak:
It just looks sunny to me.  It does look a bit oversaturated but I'm hoping that's a 'time of the day'/'type of weather' effect.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »
Custom button mapping is good. Too bad they won't be implementing that on the original Wii. :\
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
A Tales character is most likely gonna happen.
LLOYD'S OUR BOY! LLOYD'S OUR BOY!

Tales of Symphonia: Fatalize

this has to be one of the music themes for a tales of level

but at the same time I think the tales series goes by popularity and I think the most popular is leon magnus but yeah I love me some symphonia

as for an assist trophy I would want genis and I like him because he is an awesome glass cannon, he uses a kendama as a whip, and because he grew 1/16th of an inch or so he said to his sis iirc ;)

still want cv the most come on  we have pit we only need mega-man and simon and all will be complete.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 02:42:48 PM »
Lloyd is severely popular with the Gamecube/Wii crowd, though.  I drew a picture of him for Miiverse and I got 176 "Yeah"'s overnight.
If they add him, they'd probably add Emil as the assist trophy though, as Emil is from a Wii game (even though Emil sucks :P).

Tales of Symphonia: Like a Glint of Light
I'm partial to the Tethe'Alla battle theme.

If Kirby copies people's B moves, MegaMan should be able to copy their Forward+B moves.
There you go, new character. :D
Oh and his outer armor colors could change to match the copied character, while the inner colors stay matching whatever color outfit you picked originally (or maybe the reverse of this?  Inner changes, Outer stays the same?).
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 02:58:08 PM »
+1
But yeah.... oh god Xenoblade... I won't be able to mod the forum for a while when that comes out...

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 03:42:12 PM »
The character shadows are also less comic booky/cel-shaded and more "natural light"/less interesting.

I agree entirely, the shading in the original worked perfectly for the style of the game and this remake just doesn't look as good without it.
I bet the chances of them releasing it unaltered on virtual console in the future are pretty slim now as well :'(

anything