Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: IGA's new project finally teased at PAX?  (Read 53588 times)

Offline Anonym

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
Re: IGA's new project finally teased at PAX?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 02:25:52 PM »
It's a reference to something from a game magazine.
It seems to refer to this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/Gamefanblunder.jpg

By the way, is Alucard a copyrighted name of Konami or is it free to use, like Dracula? As far as I know, Alucard, as a name at least, appeared in old draculamovies.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »
There seems to be an Alucard in every Dracula fantasy tale conceived, so no, Konami couldn't possibly hold a trademark.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 02:59:04 PM »
It seems to refer to this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2b/Gamefanblunder.jpg

By the way, is Alucard a copyrighted name of Konami or is it free to use, like Dracula? As far as I know, Alucard, as a name at least, appeared in old draculamovies.

As far as I know Alucard first appeared in the movie "Son of Dracula" in 1943. So, no Konami won't have a copyright on that either.
(ninja'd)
"Stuff and things."

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 03:22:45 PM »
Now begs the question, 2.5D with HD sprites or 2D with HD sprites?

Personally, I vote for a 2D with HD sprites. Looking at Mighty No. 9 and its 2.5D is very cool, but I prefer the looks of, for example, DuckTales Remastered. Not too cartoonish, but that quality...
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Anonym

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 04:09:21 PM »
There seems to be an Alucard in every Dracula fantasy tale conceived, so no, Konami couldn't possibly hold a trademark.

As far as I know Alucard first appeared in the movie "Son of Dracula" in 1943. So, no Konami won't have a copyright on that either.
(ninja'd)
Ok, thanks.
So...there's nothing stopping a "Symphony of the Vampires: Alucard vs Dracula" then. :)

Oh, and 2D please, 2.5D usually looks horrible, looking at you psp-port of rondo of blood.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 04:13:42 PM by Anonym »

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 08:00:09 PM »
honestly i would prefer if IGA did not use the dracula/vampire mythos again. leave that for konami. he has a golden opportunity to make something his own rather than his game being a "love letter" to konami, a "castlevania jr" if you will. screw that. there are thousands of mythologies in the world to take advantage of, some having the potential to be even bigger than the Dracula mythos itself. or hell, why not brainstorm and create his own world mythos instead of reimagining something else? why should he restrict himself to using Dracula, his castle, etc. again, that makes no sense

Japan has a shitload of culture & mythology he could be inspired by, and i'd rather see a unique fresh take on that rather than a retread of Romanian mythology. time for something brand new from scratch that we havent experienced before. im not saying he should do away with the gothic aesthetic i love all that, but please no "belmont family 2.0" or 100 year resurrection cycles again. i want it to be familiar, but not so much where it has us saying "i feel like im playing a remixed version of Portrait of Ruin or something."

ppl gotta be careful what they ask for cuz the end result may not always be what its promised to be

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
Now begs the question, 2.5D with HD sprites or 2D with HD sprites?

I'd be fine either way, although I have always wanted to see a 2.5D vania game with symphony's metroidvania style.

honestly i would prefer if IGA did not use the dracula/vampire mythos again. leave that for konami.

Considering the fact that Konami can't get their shit together in reference to the CV series, I don't agree with just leaving the dracula/vampire mythos for Konami since there could be a very long wait before we even get a new CV game and even then I'm not to sure if it will be a CV I would want to play.

So I don't see the problem with letting IGA give us a dose of CV with a potential CV clone to to speak, at least until we get to see what Konami has in store for the series in the future.

The very same thing is happening with Capcom/mega man,Keji Inafun/Mighty No 9 right now and I feel the same way towards that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:48:06 PM by DarkPrinceAlucard »

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »
I'm fine with either 2D or 2.5D.
Just give me a sprawling map!

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 11:56:52 PM »
honestly i would prefer if IGA did not use the dracula/vampire mythos again. leave that for konami. he has a golden opportunity to make something his own rather than his game being a "love letter" to konami, a "castlevania jr" if you will. screw that. there are thousands of mythologies in the world to take advantage of, some having the potential to be even bigger than the Dracula mythos itself. or hell, why not brainstorm and create his own world mythos instead of reimagining something else? why should he restrict himself to using Dracula, his castle, etc. again, that makes no sense

Japan has a shitload of culture & mythology he could be inspired by, and i'd rather see a unique fresh take on that rather than a retread of Romanian mythology. time for something brand new from scratch that we havent experienced before. im not saying he should do away with the gothic aesthetic i love all that, but please no "belmont family 2.0" or 100 year resurrection cycles again. i want it to be familiar, but not so much where it has us saying "i feel like im playing a remixed version of Portrait of Ruin or something."

ppl gotta be careful what they ask for cuz the end result may not always be what its promised to be

I'd love it if we got a strong female villain personally. Like Carmilla.
Also I'm pretty sure there's going to be Japanese influences, if you look at the screencap on the lower left there appears to be a row of Torii there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torii reminds me of AoS :)

I'm fine with either 2D or 2.5D.
Just give me a sprawling map!

Yeah. I might have a slight preference for sprites but it depends on the artstyle and how it all comes together for a spooky atmosphere. But gameplay/level design is king at the end of the day.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:12:46 AM by Ratty »

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 08:00:14 AM »
While it'd be cool if IGA would move away from the gothic, vampire flavor for his games (and going by Leedmees and Nanobreaker, he can), I think he's going to play it safe and establish himself first with what people associate him with. Once that's done, I imagine then he'll move on to different types of games. Anyways if those mock-ups are indicative of what he's planning, then I'm looking forward to it. Since Aria, it seems like he's really wanted to meld Japanese occultism with European occultism, and it'd be interesting to see him go all out.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 11:01:24 AM »
I would like to see something sci-fi from IGA instead of gothic myths.

Japanese mythology would be awesome too though!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2014, 11:55:41 AM »

The very same thing is happening with Capcom/mega man,Keji Inafun/Mighty No 9 right now and I feel the same way towards that.
It's not the same thing at ALL. Konami actually still cares about CV and is trying out new things, which is not a bad thing. LoS was just another stepping stone to finding a new identity post IGA. Castlevania will be fine.

Mega Man and Capcom are FAR worse off than anything Konami/CV related
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2014, 12:44:56 PM »
It's not the same thing at ALL.

You took that out of context, perhaps I should have elaborated further, I meant it was the same thing as far as ME wanting to have some mega man flavor while waiting on Capcom to get their shit together with the Mega Man Series and release a game. Mighty No 9's flare and feel is pretty darn similar to Mega Man, it will make for a very nice substitute until we get the real thing one of these days.

I said it was the same thing to me since Castlevania is in a bit of a rut and we probably will not be seeing one anytime soon, so I would love to have some castlevania flavor while I wait on the next potential CV to be released, and the only way I will get that dose of CV in the meantime Is if IGA's new game is vampire/castle focused (which I hope it is).

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2014, 12:57:48 PM »
...I don't see the problem with letting IGA give us a dose of CV with a potential CV clone to to speak, at least until we get to see what Konami has in store for the series in the future...

...I think he's going to play it safe and establish himself first with what people associate him with. Once that's done, I imagine then he'll move on to different types of games...

Yeah...I think I'd like to see him start with something very similar to what we know and love (even though we all don't quite agree on it!), and branch out from there as he gets his new "business" rollling.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »
I was pretty tired posting yesterday so forgot a few things.

(ninja'd)

I'm not so sure. I think Alucard from Hellsing might have been officially trademarked as "Arucard" to avoid conflicting with Konami. (At least I know for figures and things in the past he's been advertised as "Arucard") But I'm not sure. Konami could have a trademark on "Alucard" as related to games. But since the player character in the poster is just referred to as "Alchemist" I don't think it matters too much.

Also for all those saying they're tired of Gothic and or cheesy horror I can only say- wut? If I wanted to play a sci-fi Metroidvania I'd play a Metroid game. There are far more sci-fi and fantasy games out there than gotchic/classic horror themed action-exploration ones. Why you would complain about having "too much" of something so relatively rare I don't know. Personally I think it's an under-served market and I'm hungry for more.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 03:23:50 PM by Ratty »

Tags:

anything