Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The first sign rises with the full moon.  (Read 1045495 times)

Offline affinity

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
Re: The first sign rises with the full moon.
« Reply #2910 on: May 16, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »
Except that boss fight was basically to show the player how to use Magnus, a glyph which is heavily used throughout parts of the game. This is arguably favourable game design.

a boss shouldn't be a tutorial.  I mean like if millions even adapt to Dark Souls bosses, tutorial boss is basically telling the player they are too dumb to figure things out for themselves.   and Castlevania bosses are generally easier and gimmicky patterns than Dark Souls bosses.   

that being said OoE's first boss wasn't that bad, but it's a pushover compared to Slogra and Gaibon. 
tutorials are just spoiling people into thinking less and expecting games to think for them.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2911 on: May 16, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »
+1
Except that boss fight was basically to show the player how to use Magnus, a glyph which is heavily used throughout parts of the game. This is arguably favourable game design.

Exactly. It was a road block to make sure the player understood the functionality of Magnus. A very nice way to do so honestly. If you didn't figure it out yet you're taking damage and probably will lose. Once you do get it, you can win and progress.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2912 on: May 16, 2017, 04:14:15 PM »
a boss shouldn't be a tutorial.  I mean like if millions even adapt to Dark Souls bosses, tutorial boss is basically telling the player they are too dumb to figure things out for themselves.   and Castlevania bosses are generally easier and gimmicky patterns than Dark Souls bosses.   

that being said OoE's first boss wasn't that bad, but it's a pushover compared to Slogra and Gaibon. 
tutorials are just spoiling people into thinking less and expecting games to think for them.

joke's on you i died to that crab like 40 times more than i ever did to any first souls boss

Offline Zargon

• Hunter in Training
  • Its up to you!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2913 on: May 17, 2017, 12:58:01 AM »

*whispers

Psst.... the first boss of dark souls was a tutorial boss.... don't tell anybody or they'll figure out that dark souls isn't actually as hard as people say!

Seriously though, tutorial bosses are fine, so long as they are handled correctly. Just so long as it doesn't feel like you're in an extended tutorial for a long time in this sort of thing. I'm not sure why we're getting all riled up about Order of Ecclesia here anyway, after ol' Arthroverta the game starts to get challenging pretty fast.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2914 on: May 17, 2017, 03:53:52 AM »

All bosses should not be tutorials, but if the very first boss informs you on a glyph you have to use for the rest of the game, and that boss fight is very short then this is acceptable imo.

Regardless of the Souls series and patterns, you can't slam OOE for bad boss design, it had some of the more intelligent bosses in the series, particularly Blackmoore, Eligor and its versions of Death and Dracula.

I've never had issues with Gaibon/ Slogra.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2915 on: May 17, 2017, 07:37:21 AM »
I remember dying to that crab waaay too much until I figured out how to use the glyph correctly.  It was an interesting fight, and didn't feel as tutorial-y as some tutorials, which I appreciated.  OOE does has a fairly steep curve though.  I'm still completey stuck on the Maneater skull boss, still can't defeat him despite watching loads of guides.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2916 on: May 17, 2017, 08:22:42 AM »
I remember dying to that crab waaay too much until I figured out how to use the glyph correctly.  It was an interesting fight, and didn't feel as tutorial-y as some tutorials, which I appreciated.  OOE does has a fairly steep curve though.  I'm still completey stuck on the Maneater skull boss, still can't defeat him despite watching loads of guides.

Luminato is very effective against that boss.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2917 on: May 18, 2017, 02:41:05 AM »

One of my favourite glyphs, useful for much of the game.

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2918 on: May 22, 2017, 03:45:44 AM »

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2919 on: May 22, 2017, 04:46:59 AM »

Cheers, I'll have to give that a go. :)
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Zargon

• Hunter in Training
  • Its up to you!
    • Awards
« Reply #2920 on: May 23, 2017, 03:20:35 PM »
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/05/bloodstained_ritual_of_the_night_is_only_20_to_30_percent_complete

Unsurprising, though as usual, I would rather it not be rushed. I am wondering when in 2018 they are shooting for now, though.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2921 on: May 23, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/05/bloodstained_ritual_of_the_night_is_only_20_to_30_percent_complete

Unsurprising, though as usual, I would rather it not be rushed. I am wondering when in 2018 they are shooting for now, though.

#2019ftw

v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2922 on: May 23, 2017, 06:32:27 PM »

Honestly, I don't think it's as bad as the article made it sound, and it might have been a mistranslation of the interview with IGA. Our community manager, Mana, explained things in the bloodstained forums shoutbox, you can see a summary in this post:

http://bloodstainedfanforums.com/thread/2377/iga-bitsummit-interview-famitsu-2017

"Right now it's 20-30% complete due to the fact mass-producing system isn't complete. Once we have those systems complete, the process afterward should come much faster :)" Mana further clarified by saying, "Mass producing is how all the readily available models, stats, text are implemented into the game system."

So really, it's more of a matter of "implemented" rather than "completed." The example she gave was, "Let's say we have all enemy models completed, but if we only implemented 10% of it, that would really mean only 10% is actually complete inside the game." So I think it's fair to assume they have most of the assets, models, etc. are complete, they just haven't added them into the framework of the game yet, and that should be an easier task than building all those models out of scratch in the first place! So yeah, while IGA's correct in saying that they need to pick up the pace, I don't think they're really as far behind as the article is implying :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #2923 on: May 23, 2017, 07:10:54 PM »
That makes sense, and is good news as well  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #2924 on: May 23, 2017, 11:02:06 PM »
Take as long as you need IGA, the last thing I want to see is Castlevania's reincarnation fall before it even began.

Tags: