Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Contra Return is the greatest Contra ever, should come to consoles  (Read 8641 times)

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Contra Return is the greatest Contra ever, should come to consoles
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 04:26:20 PM »
psshhhh for me my favorite is easy

hard corps on the sega genesis babeeeee

I always have a hard time attributing any "favorite" game in a series to the Genesis. That system always seemed to lag behind both in graphical and sound capabilities. Granted, I think the inferiority of the hardware , compared to the SNES for instance, forced Sega devs to innovate with better ideas for games compared to Nintendo devs, I rarely have any favs from the Genesis.

The only exceptions I can really think of are Streets of Rage--graphically not as sharp, but made really good use of the soundset of the system, I play that far more than I do Final Fight. I still like Quackshot for some weird reason, too. Tazmania was also better than it's SNES counterpart, too.

I generally preferred the TG16 or even original Master System in their own time periods. But that's just me.

Gameboy Contra was cool, too.

Still , gotta lament the death of the series, no matter what the fav is...
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 10:43:24 PM »
I WANT TO PLAY AS THE BEAR.  Irrelevant as most everyone in that lineup is, they look RADASS!!! 

Contra: Hard Corps for the win, Hard Crud: Downflushing, Contra in subtitle-as-title only; might've been best disassociating itself from the Big C to just be its own thing, like how that Bloodstained game can be regarded as the latest entry in a genre CastleVania III established: fighting through scary places with teammates you can switch into on the fly. 

#justmyopinionman

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 11:51:33 PM »
psshhhh for me my favorite is easy

hard corps on the sega genesis babeeeee

*high five*

It was the last of the "good" Contras that I played, but probably my favorite. I may have to replay Contra 4 just to be sure, heh.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 01:00:29 AM »
Give Contra 4 a shot. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nine stages over Contra 3's six (not sure why it was so short.) Plus it has a s**t tone of unlockables. It was the perfect way to calibrate Contra's anniversary with a bang.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 01:41:26 AM »
I love Contra 4. Beat it on Hard Mode (came down to an absolute miracle on my last life of my last continue, lol), I just meant that although Hard Corps is my favorite, 4 makes it a tough choice.

I remember how tense it was on Hard Mode, because in a lot of spots, if you die and lose your weapon, you're absolutely screwed. And dodging between the projectiles on the waterfall boss...yikes.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 09:54:23 AM »
Yeah, sorry. I didn't quite see the 're'play part, lol.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 05:29:48 PM »
CONTRA FOUUUUUUUUR!
But I do love The Alien Wars on the SNES.
And Shattered Soldier I really liked, too.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 02:03:22 AM »
Shattered Soldier usually gets no love. I think it's a solid game. So many hours spent perfecting the first 5 stages...could never get a perfect playthrough to unlock the secret "ending", though. The last 2 boss fights were super tough.

Alien Wars is the bane of my Contra experience, heh. Always wanted to get to the "true" final boss on hard, but that damn boss on the second overhead stage always takes most of my lives.  :'(

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 09:39:59 AM »
I still use game genie to finish CIII on hard mode. What i noticed also helps is using an ASCII turbo pad. I switch the X button (my second gun) to auto-fire and voilà! It looks like i'm using only one gun but I'm actually firing two at the same time. This makes any weapon twice as strong (so long as both guns have the same weapon equipped. It actually brings the Spread guns strength up to where it's supposed to be, like it was in the previous games.

Shattered Soldier was also an awesome game. I had given up hope after the two misfires that were Contra: Legacy of War and The Contra Adventure. I guess Appaloosa had an obsession with Contra: Hard Corps that they completely forgot about Bill and Lance entirely. My only nit-pic about shattered soldier was the over-usage of mini-boss fights they crammed into the game. And that there was no spread gun!! Sacrilege.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 10:19:25 AM »
Contra 4 and Contra Evolution were great. WTF is this? Soooo, are we just making characters up as we go now? This divergent "Contra" concept could have actually worked, but I am sooo done with these types of games, can we just get true epic 2D Contra Sequels??

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 11:32:54 AM »
I still use game genie to finish CIII on hard mode. What i noticed also helps is using an ASCII turbo pad.

Dude, Asciipad Turbo was seriously the best controller for the SNES. I don't often find that I like 3rd party controllers, but that one was the sweetest ever.
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 12:16:25 AM »

Shattered Soldier was also an awesome game. I had given up hope after the two misfires that were Contra: Legacy of War and The Contra Adventure. I guess Appaloosa had an obsession with Contra: Hard Corps that they completely forgot about Bill and Lance entirely. My only nit-pic about shattered soldier was the over-usage of mini-boss fights they crammed into the game. And that there was no spread gun!! Sacrilege.

I know that the frequent boss battles were a big issue with lots of people when it came to Shattered Soldier and even Hard Corps. But I honestly loved it.  :-X Probably why I liked Furi so much too, lol

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2018, 05:14:56 AM »
I will cherish my ASCII-Pad for my SNES until it dies.  And then I will pay money for its repairs.
Love the Turbo and Auto-Fire Switches.  Saved my thumbs from dying back in the day.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags:

anything