Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Someone has "fixed" Circle of the Moon!  (Read 2930 times)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: February 20, 2022, 09:03:06 AM »
No more random DSS cards!

A romhack just released that places the DSS cards around the game world of CotM, removing them as random drops entirely. I have my reservations about removing the random drops, but compared to the state of the game before, this is infinitely more playable and accessible. The lazy implementation of the card system was holding this game back more than anything else. Enemies also seem to drop more healing items which I honestly don't think harms the game because they're incredibly weak anyways, just reduces grind times.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Someone has "fixed" Circle of the Moon!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 09:50:25 AM »
Dropping more healing items I feel is a good thing. Especially when you factor in the arena run then you want all the healing you can get. Also, having the cards positioned in different areas of the castle rather then dropped from enemies would make them easier to collect. I've done multiple runs through CotM and I have never gotten all the DSS cards before. It's especially a pain in the @$$ to do multiple runs through the arena just to pick up several more of the cards. Maybe this mod author was thinking the same thing.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 10:26:22 AM »
Yeah, the card hack is a good mod. I have a review of it over on ICVD: https://www.inverteddungeon.com/index.php?section=fanworks&page=hack_castlevania_circle_of_the_moon_card_mode -- It's a simple but effective mod that really streamlines the gameplay of CotM.

It also, of note, forms the key basis for the CotM Randomizer, which is a heckin good time: https://www.inverteddungeon.com/index.php?section=fanworks&page=rando_castlevania_circle_of_the_moon

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 08:50:18 AM »
I've read the reviews but it's unfortunate that many of the life, heart, and magic power-ups were swapped out for the cards' placements. When the player collects power-up's it makes them that much stronger which I liked. They could've had both of them sharing the same room rather then edit them out entirely.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything