Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1821595 times)

Offline Lords of Shitow

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania Mirror of Fate ( 3DS per request )
« Reply #1140 on: May 27, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »
i know i probably shouldnt trust this cause its 4chan, but i was just on there and some guy was saying he went to a before e3 thing where they showed this game off.

what he said:
-main characters are alucard and simon
-alucard IS simon, and you use some mirror shift back and forth between them in the future and past
-game is 2.5d like rond of blood psp remake
-lvls are linear with branch paths and combinations result in different outcomes
-closest game it compares to gameplay wise is rebirth

could obv be BS and probably is but thought i should tell somebody before it 404s. dont know if i trust them with this after LOS and wtf at the simon/alucard part but if its anything like rebirth like they said then thats better. rather 2d and weird than 3d and shit. wish theyd bring back IGA tho

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #1141 on: May 27, 2012, 10:26:31 PM »
+1
seems so odd that this guy couldn't just have made it up.  must be true.  and it's got an explanation for what the plot device for the mirror does.  i'm being a little sarcastic, but not completely.

can't say i like Alucard = Simon, but what the hell, why not in this universe?  i'll get used to it.  i have to wonder if Alucard becomes Simon, or if Simon becomes Alucard.  Alucard becomes Simon once he learns how to use a whip?  or vice versa once he becomes a vampire or dhampir?  i'm very pleased to be able to switch between two characters again. 

i'm all for 2.5D on the 3DS.  i think there's a lot more neat things you could do to get 3D effects than if it was sprite based.

i'm liking the comparison to Adventure ReBirth.  if this is a full cartridge game and not a downloadable content, an "enhanced" version of a ReBirth style game is really what i've wanted to see the most.  give us the traditional Belmont gameplay, but also a little something "more", but without watering down the experience too much. 

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1142 on: May 27, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »
If true then it seems like their pulling the light world/dark world thing they did with Harmony of Dissonance. And bummer that the circle QTE's seem to be back as well as the Uncharted shimmying with the 3D gimmick. (Munchy's not gonna like that.)

On a positive note, I asked him if the sub weapons are back and he said that axe's, knives and cross boomerang appears to make a return the way you expect them to.

Edit: He also went on to say that hearts are not present as well as meat to restore health, the health shrines make a comeback and weapons have their own inventory like they did in LOS.

I shall take these with a grain of salt like all rumors but with the reveal coming very very soon, I wouldn't be surprised if %85 of them were right.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:04:04 PM by Kingshango »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #1143 on: May 27, 2012, 11:33:48 PM »
-alucard IS simon, and you use some mirror shift back and forth between them in the future and past
The title "Mirror(s?) of Fate" makes so much fucking sense now.
-closest game it compares to gameplay wise is rebirth
This makes me extremely happy if it's true.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:44:00 PM by OSM »

Offline Lords of Shitow

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #1144 on: May 27, 2012, 11:42:56 PM »
The title "Mirror(s?) of Fate" makes so fucking sense now.

ya i was gonna say. even the naming stuff makes sense now.

gabriel = dracul (dragon)
simon = dracula (son of the dragon)
mirrored, thats "alucard." maybe thats why they went with the simon/alucard/mirror theme for this game.

so maybe in one of those games (MOF or LOS2) he is simon and has to fight dracul the finally faces him has a luke/vader moment and finds out hes his son, lol. and he hates that so he he reverses his name and goes by alucard in protest or something.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:53:20 PM by Lords of Shitow »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1145 on: May 27, 2012, 11:51:00 PM »
I wonder what gameplay differences "Alucard" will have compared to Simon.

If he drinks blood from enemies like Laura I'll riot. Not really, but it would be a huge downer to see Simon do something like that.

Offline Lords of Shitow

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #1146 on: May 27, 2012, 11:54:35 PM »
+1
gonna copy/paste the posts from the thread b4 it dies and i go to bed:

Main character is Alucard but you use the Mirror to alternate between past and present. In the fucked up future you play as Alucard, and in the slightly less fucked up past you play as Simon. There are some obstacles you can't get past in one timeline so you have to go back and forth.

Narrative is that these two are "connected by a thread of fate" or whatever but it's pretty obvious Simon is Alucard. First they show Simon looking into the Mirror with Alucard on the other side of it, but then they flash "Dracula" and then use the same Mirror to show "Alucard" before introducing his character portrait.

Apparently it bridges LOS and the new console game.
 More along the lines of the 2.5D Rondo of Blood remake than Symphony of the Night, if you can stomach that. I'm not usually a fan of that art style, but surprisingly it works.
Definite Classicvania but with some small LOS-like touches. Not as bad as it sounds, though.
It's virtually identical to LOS's art style but has a sort of painterly filter over everything to give it a parchment-y look, if that makes sense? So more cartoony, but definitely not anime.
Honestly felt more to me like ReBirth than any other recent Castlevania game.
Well, it's kind of non-linear in that there are multiple paths through levels and secrets, which apparently you'll be able to go back and get whenever you want. Taking different combinations of paths through levels apparently results in several different outcomes.
It looks like LOS on a 2D plane with a weird combination Street Fighter 4-meets-Valkyria Chronicles filter over it, so I think you'll probably be disappointed. Definitely not sprite-based, unfortunately.
Closest thing to GOW was a QTE on a mini-boss, but only after taking it down in a traditional Castlevania way (whipping the hell out of it and throwing axes).

The other gameplay touch it has similar to LOS is some occasional Uncharted-like climbing on vertical structures, but the 3D effect looks really neat when you climb around a curve on a cliff for example to reveal a new vista. But whenever you get to the top it re-orients itself and goes back to 2D. In the demo they only ever used that to establish new areas and connect levels, and when it happens there's even a map overlay in the style of the early games, showing where you're move on to.
It wasn't that bad. Only happened once when the boss had low health, and it was the same circle-timing thing from LOS. You ripped off the monster's horns then mask so you could carry on whipping it until it's dead. Felt more like a stage in a Zelda boss fight than GOW.
Simon and Alucard both use whips, but Simon's is traditional and Alucard's is fiery and shoots fireballs when "charged."
Yep, all the classics and they behave the exact same way as well.
(in response to question about classic subweapons (axe, knife, cross boomerang, hourglass etc))
No, unfortunately each sub-weapon has its own inventory and health is only regained at shrines. I miss hearts and those so-called "pork chops."

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1147 on: May 28, 2012, 12:05:57 AM »
gonna copy/paste the posts from the thread b4 it dies and i go to bed:
Simon and Alucard both use whips, but Simon's is traditional and Alucard's is fiery and shoots fireballs when "charged."
And now it makes sense why he thought it was originally Trevor without any textures on.

These are the most believable rumors yet that tie into everything we've heard so far.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1148 on: May 28, 2012, 12:47:37 AM »
But Alucard using a whip? Shouldn't that..hurt him?

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #1149 on: May 28, 2012, 12:53:11 AM »
I do not like the idea of Alucard using a whip.

Not at all.

And hopefully the wall shimmying will, like he said, be relegated to the occasional area reveal.
I can't imagine too much wall shimmying taking place in a 2D game.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:55:22 AM by e105beta »

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #1150 on: May 28, 2012, 01:04:56 AM »
The Simon=Alucard thing is more or less confirmed in this rumor, which sounds no less stupid than Alucard using a whip. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they execute it if it is indeed true.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #1151 on: May 28, 2012, 01:11:34 AM »
ya i was gonna say. even the naming stuff makes sense now.

gabriel = dracul (dragon)
simon = dracula (son of the dragon)
mirrored, thats "alucard." maybe thats why they went with the simon/alucard/mirror theme for this game.

so maybe in one of those games (MOF or LOS2) he is simon and has to fight dracul the finally faces him has a luke/vader moment and finds out hes his son, lol. and he hates that so he he reverses his name and goes by alucard in protest or something.

This is how I kind of feel right now.

The Crying Indian Commercial

My least favorite character is my favorite character.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #1152 on: May 28, 2012, 01:25:24 AM »
This is how I kind of feel right now.

The Crying Indian Commercial

My least favorite character is my favorite character.

Which one is your favorite and least favorite?

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #1153 on: May 28, 2012, 01:34:21 AM »
Which one is your favorite and least favorite?

Simon is my favorite and even if I am playing Sotn Alucard is my least favorite, now excuse me I have to run to a corner and cry now  :'(
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:36:04 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1154 on: May 28, 2012, 01:54:31 AM »
I wish we could see who is who on 4chan. Somebody said the recent rumors are lies but doesn't explain why. Also, the rumor doesn't really say Simon and Alucard are the same character. Would have been funny, though.   
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:58:23 AM by Nagumo »

Tags: .....? 

anything