Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Nosferatu remake announced!  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 09:04:57 AM »
Don't get rose-tinted vision simply because it's got A Symphony of Horror's name attached to it, now. It's still early.

Also, gonna call you on this:

I'm assuming that by "decades" you mean more than two, in which case 30 Days of Night, Shadow of the Vampire, Fright Night, Near Dark, Interview, Thirst, Coppola's Dracula, Daybreakers, and Let the Right One In would all like to have a word with you.

I'm saying that The Witch looks great and that this director has promise. Everything is indicating that he knows what he's doing. Read the sundance reviews of The Witch. What reason do you have to think this won't be good other than blind pessimism?

By decades I meant decades. The last tasteful and frightening vampire movie was Bram Stokers Dracula.

Shadow of the Vampyre is great but it's a dark comedy. It's not comparable to what I'm talking about. Interview was good too, but again were talking over 20 years ago.

The other films you listed are inferior in my opinion. Not that some of them aren't really good. But not on the level of the Nosferatu films.

But hey it's nice to see you reciprocating communication with me in some way. Even if it is to try to pointlessly "call me out" for being excited for a movie that I've been hoping for since the 20th century. Nice to hear from Dracula9.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »
Like I said before, I'm mostly just concerned about how they are going to go about the hordes of rats in the film. It will be next to impossible to do what Herzog did with the rats. I just really hope they don't turn to CG for those scenes. We'll have to see.

Still, it would be understandable.

My wife is a killer stage make up artist. Check out our halloween costumes from 2010! Getting de-clawed after that Halloween was traumatizing.

This news makes me want to bust the costume out again this year!

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 01:26:31 PM »
Wow, your wife did a great job on that costume! :D

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 01:50:10 PM »
But hey it's nice to see you reciprocating communication with me in some way. Even if it is to try to pointlessly "call me out" for being excited for a movie that I've been hoping for since the 20th century. Nice to hear from Dracula9.

I'm sensing some unresolved grievance.

Regardless, you're absolutely correct. I am going to call you on generalizing an entire genre based on one specific style of it. A Symphony of Horror is frightening for a multitude of reasons - it's silent, the vampire's somewhat feral-looking, his powers are subtle but terribly dangerous, and he's much less composed than the vamp he was originally based on, to name a few.

What I'm saying is, there's more than one type of vampire movie, and more than one type of vampire, and I take issue with a generalization cutting off or ignoring aspects of vampires as characters and entities that are just as warranted as the creepy pale guy who can move his shadow. They're immortal, and immortality comes with its own price, and some vampires have contexts where they lose more than they're prepared to (Let the Right One In, Interview,). They have to watch as the world changes while they remain the same, and some go with this flow (Lestat), and others are broken by it (Armand). Some vampires are aristocratic, and some don't give a shit about formalities and just want blood. Some are feral and wild, others are feral but still retain unique kinds of social interactions (30 Days). Some have created myths and rumors which to this day remain unresolved (Shadow).

You know your vampire mythos. You know it well. As such, it's more than a little off-putting to see you more or less sweep anything that's not the castle-dweller in nice clothes off the table.

As for why I said not to get your hopes up just yet? That's because they more than likely won't make it silent, and as such a lot of what made the original scary is going to be lost. So much of the original's charm and horror elements stemmed from the film being silent, as well as other little nuances that they will doubtlessly alter. I'll call it now that his shadow manipulation will be more action-y than the subtleties of the original, or that his death scene will be much more over-the-top and dramatic than his original going-up-in-smoke.

That's not blind pessimism, that's acknowledgement that the film industry's changed in 95 years and awareness that remaking a 95-year-old film is probably gonna come with a shitload of changes from its original incarnation, and as such the things that made the original so good would be lost.

Also, I've seen The Witch. A great film made once doesn't make all the potential problems and changes for a 95-year-old remake suddenly disappear.

I'm skeptical about horror films in general, this is nothing new.

Also,
Getting de-clawed after that Halloween was traumatizing.
Spirit Gum?

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 04:38:06 PM »
I'm sensing some unresolved grievance.

Not really a grievance. I just think it's kinda rude that you won't respond to a friendly hello PM that I sent you days ago, yet you have the time to try to call me out on a thread.

Of course I'm aware that there is more than one type of vampire movie. I'm saying I think that Nosferatu is better than all of them. Both Nosferatu films. You act as if you've never heard of Herzog's film. It's my favorite vampire movie of all time. And it's not silent. I'm excited to see this movie because I know it can be remade well.

I'm not sweeping other films off the table. I'm saying Nosferatu is better. And that's how I feel. For me it's the 2 Nosferatu films and Bram Stoker's Dracula. Those are the best vampire films ever made in my opinion. I'm excited for the possibility of a fourth.

How did you manage to see The Witch already? It hasn't been released yet outside of Sundance as far as I know.

It's Egger's only major film so far. That by default gives him a clean track record. He hasn't put out any crap for anyone to be weary about.

We're not talking about a 95 year remake. With Herzog's Nosferatu this will be a remake of a remake from the 70's. At least Egger will have Herzog's to go off of for ideas on how to make the silent film with sound. It's already been more than proven that Nosferatu can be remade well. Worrying about how a silent film can be made with sound is ridiculous when we already have it proven right there.

The nails kept falling off with spirit gum. We went with acrylic nail glue. It was probably overkill. But at least they never fell off!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 05:02:13 PM by Belmontoya »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 07:43:46 PM »
I don't like using PMs for small talk. It's not a slight against you, I do it to a lot of people. Catching up and "hey how ya doin'" aren't so essential as to use the board PM system. Plus, don't you have me on Facebook? I could have sworn you did at one point...

Anyway, if it's going to be a remake of Herzog's, then I'm not entirely sure the horror factor is going to be present, as Herzog's film humanizes the shit out of Orlock. I'm presuming it'll draw more from the original based on this fact.

How did you manage to see The Witch already? It hasn't been released yet outside of Sundance as far as I know.

There are ways.

The nails kept falling off with spirit gum. We went with acrylic nail glue. It was probably overkill. But at least they never fell off!

Haha, been there. Went covered in burns one year and, thanks to some knockoff makeup effects company not labelling their shit properly, I wound up attaching large pieces to both arms and my face with "Halloween Horror Makeup Adhesive," which actually turned out to be rubber cement.

Oh, the pain that followed.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 07:47:08 PM by Dracula9 »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 08:40:09 PM »
I'm not on Facebook and haven't been for nearly 4 years.

I was geniunly reaching out to see how you've been and what you've been up to. What difference does the medium make?

I think its safe to assume that Egger will draw influence from both Nosferatu films. They are both classics. But I guess you being a pirate and having seen the Witch before it's even in theaters, have the best grasp on Eggers style.

The big questions. Will the vampire be named Orlok or Dracula? And more importantly, who will play the vampire?

And could a Nina Harker more sultry and beautiful than Isabelle Adjani ever be cast?

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 11:07:07 PM »
@Belmontoya: Awesome costume and make-up!

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 07:32:02 AM »
Huh. Could've sworn...

The medium makes a difference here because I don't really check these boards much lately. Me popping in for a once-in-a-blue-moon checkup of the place isn't exactly reliable for getting an answer. I've posted more in the last two days than I have in quite awhile, but me being currently active doesn't make the above any less true. If I hadn't posted in any threads, and then gone AWOL from the site for several more months, would you still have believed I was intentionally ignoring you? If you're wanting idle smalltalk on how things are, you'd be better off hitting me up on Youtube or something, where I'm far more active. I dare to say it's more or less a waste of time to do so here, as the chances of me seeing it within an acceptable window of reply time are currently at an all-time low.

I think its safe to assume that Egger will draw influence from both Nosferatu films. They are both classics. But I guess you being a pirate and having seen the Witch before it's even in theaters, have the best grasp on Eggers style.

Not really. It's not like the quality was anything spectacular, anyway. I'll see the thing proper once it's actually out before making any judgments.

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 10:26:47 AM »

I'm not sweeping other films off the table. I'm saying Nosferatu is better. And that's how I feel. For me it's the 2 Nosferatu films and Bram Stoker's Dracula. Those are the best vampire films ever made in my opinion. I'm excited for the possibility of a fourth.

Bram Stoker's Dracula is a masterpiece.  I love the level of creepy special effects which were actualy shot in camera.  It's the best way, in my opinion, whereever possible.  It's one of the vampire films which made a huge impression on me as a kid, and what helped fuel my addiction to vampire films.
  Another vampire film I adore which has likewise had a huge impact on me is Interview with the Vampire.  It's influenced my fashion tastes, and all sorts.  Yes, it's got some changes to the book, but some of them are just so well done that you can't complain.  Antonio Banderas is playing a black haired Marius, for starters, not Armand, imo.  Also, I don't care that Tom Cruise is a bit off his rockers, and is a bit short, but he definitely played Lestat, unlike Stuart Townsend in Queen of the Damned.
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2015, 01:40:05 PM »
Other way around. Antonio was Armand.

Yeah, Interview was great. Much better than Queen as far as film adaptations go, considering the excellent job of adaptation the film did (the Babette arc, some minor backstory on the Theatre, more development for Madeleine, and toning down just how fucking psychotic Claudia is at times are about the only things Interview didn't get right, meanwhile Queen cuts out two-thirds of the damn book and decides Jessie in goth garb is more important than the backstory and arc of Maharet and Mekare, which totally isn't the entire fucking plot of the book or anything).

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2015, 02:56:25 PM »
Just saw Ex Machina last night... Holy fuck was that awesome.

It was like a modern day Dracula how Caleb was flown out to a super remote location shrouded in mystery and secrets. Being discretely thrown into this massive underground complex where one man lived alone with the machines.

I loved it and I recommend it to anyone reading this!

There's a lot to discuss about that movie so maybe I'll make another thread for it. ????

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2015, 03:37:30 PM »
Other way around. Antonio was Armand.

Yeah, Interview was great. Much better than Queen as far as film adaptations go, considering the excellent job of adaptation the film did (the Babette arc, some minor backstory on the Theatre, more development for Madeleine, and toning down just how fucking psychotic Claudia is at times are about the only things Interview didn't get right, meanwhile Queen cuts out two-thirds of the damn book and decides Jessie in goth garb is more important than the backstory and arc of Maharet and Mekare, which totally isn't the entire fucking plot of the book or anything).

Oh, don't get me started on the isues with QotD.  The music was the one bit about it I truly loved.... aside for being able to bitch about it big time.  It's one of those films that I love to be able to hate on and bitch about.  I have to take it as a glorified, 90 minute long music video, and not an adaptation of one of my favourite novels.  I seem to remember the makers sayign something like they couldn't get why such a men-hating woman like Akasha ha a pair of women as her arch-nemeses.  The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned, to really be done properly, would need to be done as a tv mini series apiece.  I still dream of this. 

*Laughs*  This thread really has made me want to go on a long bender of watching as many different versions of Dracula as I can, in chronological order.  Coppola's Dracula is on on the telly in a few days, but I'm too impatient, and going to watch it tomorrow.  A box of tissues will be to hand for the ending. 

Another version of Drac that I love is George Hamilton's Drac in Dracula: Love at First Bite.  It's so gloriously cheesy, and a million miles away from either Lugosi or Count Orlock.

"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Tags:

anything