Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 147093 times)

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #465 on: March 21, 2014, 11:27:15 AM »
I KNOW OFFICIALLY THEY DO. But symphony of the night alucard is not the same alucard as arikado, who isn't the same as CV3 alucard. Geez, I'm just rambling now...

The bolded part, why do you say that?

They are the same, didn't you play Julius mode in DOS?

Its shown that Arikado is just a disguise and that he can revert back to his vampireic SOTN appearance when need be.

But you have a point about CV3 Alucard, but that had more to do with them wanting to base him on on classic/mainstream interpretation of Dracula's son at the time.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #466 on: March 21, 2014, 11:31:01 AM »
I don't mind that the Belmonts are fallible. They're human. They're supposed to be.

I just don't want them picking up the 4e "Vampiric Heritage" feat.

And that's where I disagree: I think them having a little vamp in 'em explains why they're even more superhuman down the line.  Could be a recessive little trait that comes on occasionally or something.  They're not paragons of Holy Purity at all.

My favorite heroes have a little vamp in 'em (Alucard is one of 'em, Blade is another).

I don't understand why the concept is so icky to you fucking holybelmont purists.

Can we get back to the main topic again? Or is this recurring set of arguments going to happen for ALL ETERNITY?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:32:38 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #467 on: March 21, 2014, 11:34:59 AM »
I think the Belmonts being descendants of Alucard was a reference to Slavic mythology about Dhampirs, which states that it's their nature to hunt down their vampiric fathers. It's a pretty cool nod, so it's a shame most people don't seem like it very much.   

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #468 on: March 21, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »
The bolded part, why do you say that?

They are the same, didn't you play Julius mode in DOS?

Its shown that Arikado is just a disguise and that he can revert back to his vampireic SOTN appearance when need be.

But you have a point about CV3 Alucard, but that had more to do with them wanting to base him on on classic/mainstream interpretation of Dracula's son at the time.

I know they are the same, I suck at explaining myself. The whole point of that long rant was to explain that to me, none of the games follow each other, I know I sound crazy. But after years and years of time to get used to it, I still can't see the symphony of the night alucard being the same guy as the Dawn of Sorrow alucard. Am I making myself clear? I know I sound like an idiot right now.

Offline ganonfloyd

• Hunter in Training
  • Listen without distraction.
    • Awards
« Reply #469 on: March 21, 2014, 11:35:24 AM »
+1
I feel like with Alucard, Soma and other similar characters there's enough of the "hero with a dark side/origin" to scratch that itch, which is why I dig the Belmonts being straight up holy men in a sense.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #470 on: March 21, 2014, 11:37:52 AM »

I know they are the same, I suck at explaining myself. The whole point of that long rant was to explain that to me, none of the games follow each other, I know I sound crazy. But after years and years of time to get used to it, I still can't see the symphony of the night alucard being the same guy as the Dawn of Sorrow alucard. Am I making myself clear? I know I sound like an idiot right now.

I know what you mean. For example, I can't really imagine any of the NES games taking place in same universe as Symphony of the Night. The whole nature of the world just seems too different to me.     

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #471 on: March 21, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »
I wonder if the protag for IGA's next game is going to be a dhampir. I mean he loves his dark heroes, since we also got Soma and Hector.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #472 on: March 21, 2014, 11:50:30 AM »
the whole devil forgemaster plot of cod would actually serve as a nice template for iga's new universe. of course he wouldnt be able to call them devil forgemasters, but anti-hero(s) that betray dracula or an original vampire lord would be a good place to start imo

start a nice simple bloodfued origin story that way, "i once was in league with dracula but when he killed my family, i renounced him & my lineage will forever make sure he wont take over earth"
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:53:15 AM by crisis »

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #473 on: March 21, 2014, 12:23:24 PM »
I know what you mean. For example, I can't really imagine any of the NES games taking place in same universe as Symphony of the Night. The whole nature of the world just seems too different to me.   

Exactly. Not that curse of darkness is a bad game or anything. But thinking of it being a sequel to draculas curse is too weird... It like The Thing and the Thing prequel. They make sense together, they're both good, but still can't see one happening before the other. Nobody can convince me that Bloodlines dracula is Mathias.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #474 on: March 21, 2014, 12:37:31 PM »
Not that curse of darkness is a bad game or anything

lol so you think its good? i'd say its okay.. "passable" at best. a couple steps back from loi
if it wasnt for the excellent soundtrack & other little things here n there, then the game would be downright terrible in my eyes. but as hard as it is to believe, there are much worse games out there than curse of darkness

Offline EstebanT

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #475 on: March 21, 2014, 01:21:11 PM »
lol so you think its good? i'd say its okay.. "passable" at best. a couple steps back from loi
if it wasnt for the excellent soundtrack & other little things here n there, then the game would be downright terrible in my eyes. but as hard as it is to believe, there are much worse games out there than curse of darkness

I agree. It's ok at best. But quality has nothing to do with the fact that it doesn't fit at all with draculas curse. Which is understandable because of the age gap, but every recent game before LOS still felt separate from others that came out around the same time. It's hard to take continuity seriously in castlevania games so I don't even try. Which is why the Sonya talks are so silly to me.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #476 on: March 21, 2014, 01:23:12 PM »
+1

I did love how when Maria asked Alucard if he'd heard the name Richter Belmont, and he says "Of the Belmont Clan? Of course." Maria thinks of an actual unique image of Richter, but Alucard thinks of an image of Trevor that's designed after his old NES sprite.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #477 on: March 21, 2014, 01:41:55 PM »
Sorry for beating a dead horse but I was always under the impression that Belmont's got their power through Sypha? Which I guess you could say is another form of holy power.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #478 on: March 21, 2014, 01:45:55 PM »
iirc trevor was already an outcast because of his POWER

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #479 on: March 21, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »
Good point. I guess Leon has powers too.

Tags:

anything