Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Games that you liked at first but soon grew to dislike.  (Read 19474 times)

Offline Trevorcard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Castlevania Games that you liked at first but soon grew to dislike.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 02:53:50 AM »
Rondo of Blood. This is game I loved as a kid. But replaying it recently I don't know it doesn't seem to do it for me. The controls are very frustrating for me to play and makes it unenjoyable and I don't feel they complement the level design like Castlevania 1 or 3 so I don't understand why it doesn't have controls like Bloodlines or Super Castlevania IV. It's shame really because the graphics, the ideas and branching paths makes it really appealing as a concept but I don't get any enjoyment out of playing it.

Offline cereal killer

• Cereal Killer
  • A castlevania fan from China
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 03:31:07 AM »
Harmony of Dissonance,I hard to bear it strange gravity and music, someone behind me can't stop kicking my ass it feels like
What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 09:37:11 AM »
Dawn of Sorrow.

I might still play it now and then, but i've grown to rather dislike many aspects of it that at first, didn't bother me. particularly, the music grates on my nerves. I dont like the way Castlevania sounded on the DS.

+1 for this. It was the first DS CV game I played and it was really pretty and new and shiny. But on the second play through I was like  :P The DS installments were generally weak but that was probably the weakest one, and I've always kind of found the Sorrow games a bit bland, but Aria is the better of the two. I actually kinda liked the seal drawing bit a little even if it felt shoehorned in. The castle design isn't good, the music's not great, and the first section is probably the best one in the game.

Honorable mention to CoD. I've only actually finished the game once, but started up many plays after and just never managed to finish them.  :P
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 09:43:44 AM by DoctaMario »

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 11:52:24 PM »
Hm, maybe dislike is too strong a word, but I guess Mirror of Fate. It looks great and... it looks great, but when you discover how the combat works, it becomes basically the easiest game in the series. If you are press X X X X X, L+backwards, X X X X X, you will most definitely not be sucked. And once you've found everything, there isn't really much incentive at all to go back to it. Definitely the weakest of all the handheld titles.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 11:53:54 AM »
Dawn of Sorrow.

I might still play it now and then, but i've grown to rather dislike many aspects of it that at first, didn't bother me. particularly, the music grates on my nerves. I dont like the way Castlevania sounded on the DS.
I personally loved NDS soundfonts on Castlevania.
But the music itself? I'm surprised.

Even these tracks?

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow: Pitch Black Intrusion Extended

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow: Dracula's Tears Extended

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow: After Confession Extended

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow: Demon Guest House Extended

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow: Into the Dark Night Extended

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow: Condemned Tower Extended

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow: Cursed Clock Tower Extended

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow: The Pinnacle Extended

They are all excellent in my opinion, and really different from one another; and you have also (if you care about remixes, I really don't, though I think it's a nice touch sometimes) remixes of Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears, Beginning, Dance of Illusions and Underground Melodies.

I think Dawn of Sorrow, while not so great as a game (it's the weakest MetroidVania in my personal tastes) have a hell of an excellent soundtrack.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »
+1
Dawn of Sorrow melodies did it right, they sound sorrowful and are beautiful.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »
Hm, maybe dislike is too strong a word, but I guess Mirror of Fate. It looks great and... it looks great, but when you discover how the combat works, it becomes basically the easiest game in the series. If you are press X X X X X, L+backwards, X X X X X, you will most definitely not be sucked. And once you've found everything, there isn't really much incentive at all to go back to it. Definitely the weakest of all the handheld titles.

Ehh that goes to Adventure but hey now I can get to the fourth level yay  :P
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 04:48:42 PM »
+1
I actually like Adventure better than MoF.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 05:38:01 PM »
Definitely DoS for me as well. I loved it at first, but nowadays it's the weakest link in the DS trilogy for me. But I don't dislike it, I still replay it and enjoy it, but I think it's probably my least favorite of the GBA/DS titles (all of which I love for various reasons, including DoS).

Offline SilentCircuit

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 06:48:24 AM »
Portrait of Ruin; Super Castlevania IV to some extent.

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 11:26:12 AM »
+1
There are more than I'd care to admit, and some of them really surprise me.

The most surprising ones for me are Aria of Sorrow, Lament of Innocence, and Circle of the Moon. I really loved each of these games when they first came out, and I still like aspects of them, but I find that I cannot get enthused enough to play through them, and find them sort of a grind. Also, I should probably add Rondo of Blood. I was super excited to play this game, which looked and sounded awesome, but I found it a game better in theory than in practice. I always think it's going to change my mind when I pick it up, but it doesn't.

A little less surprising to me:

Lords of Shadow 1 had me pretty excited during the demo, and I enjoyed the game well enough despite not agreeing with the overall direction; but now, I can hardly replay a level. Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin were both solid (if a bit repetitive) games that I enjoyed more or less, but neither inspires me to play them now. Harmony of Dissonance was a game I had a hard time getting through to begin with, and even now I seem to dislike it/lose interest around the time you make it to the alternate castle.

It seems to me that the games prior to, say, 2000 hold up the best. Though, I will say Simon's Quest I used to hold in higher esteem when I was younger; but I can still play through it and enjoy it. I just don't like it quite as much.

Offline Zannibal

• Sir Overlod Zannibal
  • Hunter in Training
  • I walk by the moonlit graves, I'm home...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 03:48:12 AM »
+1
Harmony of Dissonance.

At first, I just quickly tested it, but 2 or 3 hours later I found myself still "testing" it. I loved it. It was my first Metroidvania. However, later in the game it became incredibly horrible mindfuck with those 2 castles. Hell, I though there were 4 castles at some point ;_; So yeah, I completed it just because "I can't stop now, I've never been this far in any CV game".

Well, as you can see from my profile, nostalgia has done it's job. I kind of have good memories of that game nowadays. I mean the music was ok, graphics quite good, story was fine and I like Juste Belmont.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 11:51:14 AM »
I personally loved NDS soundfonts on Castlevania.
But the music itself? I'm surprised.

Even these tracks?

They are all excellent in my opinion, and really different from one another; and you have also (if you care about remixes, I really don't, though I think it's a nice touch sometimes) remixes of Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears, Beginning, Dance of Illusions and Underground Melodies.

I think Dawn of Sorrow, while not so great as a game (it's the weakest MetroidVania in my personal tastes) have a hell of an excellent soundtrack.

Dawn of Sorrow's soundtrack always makes me think of a dance party. Not that it's a bad thing inherently, but it never quite made the atmosphere "click" for me in the way that games like Symphony of the Night, SC:IV, or LoS did. I'll agree the music is good, and it did fit the game, but I guess that's the problem.

I'd have to say the ones I grew to dislike the most were OoE and MoF.

I started off liking OoE for its increased difficulty and traditional level design, but the more I played it, the more the difficulty felt artificial (i.e. not due to the design, but simply because enemies did a boatload of damage) and the more the level design felt bland and repetitive. It was like everything I didn't like about PoR's portrait level design.

I loved MoF for the whole playthrough. I really did like the game, but once I was done, I quickly grew disappointed at how little was actually in the game, and how easy the journey had been. Double the game's size, and at the very least get rid of all those checkpoints, and I'd like the game a lot, lot more.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 01:52:33 PM »
Dawn of Sorrow melodies did it right, they sound sorrowful and are beautiful.
Dawn of Sorrow's soundtrack always makes me think of a dance party.
Well, admittedly I've never heard this one before. But Castlevania has made quite a name for itself with its characteristically "upbeat" music. And why Dawn of Sorrow, in particular?

I started off liking OoE for its increased difficulty and traditional level design, but the more I played it, the more the difficulty felt artificial (i.e. not due to the design, but simply because enemies did a boatload of damage) and the more the level design felt bland and repetitive. It was like everything I didn't like about PoR's portrait level design.
Hmm. Didn't come off as quite so bland or repetitive to me... If you could elaborate?
As for the "boatloads of damage", it's a decent way, among others, to scale up the difficulty; it forces you to be more mindful of your position, to minimize taking hits. And in Castlevania it's almost always been that way -- frustratingly so!
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2013, 04:35:31 PM »
+1
For me, DoS and CoD.

DoS was ok at first, but it quickly became apparent that it was just an excuse to use Soma again. The story could have been handled better and the ending was too much like a saturday morning kids cartoon in which everyone is happy and is kind of open ended leaving the possibility for there to be another one. The AoS ending gave a sense of finality. Soma defeated the Chaos that would have turned him evil and thus freed himself from his destiny of being the Dark Lord. DoS took that and basically said: yes, we said he was free, but we decided to change that and now he's got to worry about turning evil for the rest of his life. Not to mention that it doesn't advance the overall CV storyline what so ever. Oh, and let's not forget the drawing of the seals which was a stupid excuse to use the stylis. We've all said it. DoS as it exists should never have been made.

CoD started out ok, but the quick realization of the lack of platforming and no real relation to the other games other than the cameos of Trevor kind of ruins the experience. Again, like with DoS, this game doesn't impact the overall CV storyline what so ever and thus doesn't matter. It's a shame. This game had a lot of potential that was wasted. The innocent devils could have been used to solve puzzles and grab items you couldn't reach. Hell, the number was kept to one of each type, instead of them spawning devil shards which allowed you to have more of each type, they could have been given their own personalities and actually had cutscenes in which they talked to you and other characters. Imagine in the first cutscene with Saint Germain if the fairy and/or the battle type weighted in and gave Hector their person opinions on whether to trust the stranger or not. Something like this could have added some much needed depth to the characters. Hell, it there were appearances of Alucard, Sypha, and Grant as well as a fair amount of platforming in the game, it could have been a lot better. So much potential and all wasted.

All that said, both games had potential and seemed decent at first, but I quickly began to hate them.

OoE was a tad difficult and required a fair amount of farming, but I felt is was a nice change to the other Metroidvanias that were either very easy or could be exploited.
Behold my power and tremble

Tags:

anything