Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Hans Zimmer  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:14:26 PM »
I used to be a big fan of Zimmer back in the times of Pirates of the Caribbean. From Gladiator, through King Arthur and The Last Samurai, until Batman Begins.
The neoclassical sound with chord progressions and melodramatic style was just what I liked to hear in a movie.
But somewhere along the way, he lost it.
From The Dark Knight, my first disappointment, all disappointments followed, saved only by some portions of Rango.
The same happened with Media Ventures, back in the day a great source for great film music, and now just bombastic generic sound producers, with some exceptions like Happy Feet Two (yeah, I know... but the music is great).
And I didn't see the movie, but all I'm reading is that The Man of Steel music is bad.
So... I'd like to know what other CV fans think about Hans Zimmer, and his other composers from Media Ventures.
Do you find similarities between his works and some CV music?
Do you like the older scores or some of the new ones?
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:49:51 AM »
I've enjoyed his musical scores a great deal, but like any other artist he needs to know when to change up his style in order to keep it fresh. Let's take Danny Elfman as an example. Almost all of the films he's ever scored for, his music is somewhat repetitious ie it carries the same theme. But the one movie where I didn't hear any familiarity with his usual style was Terminator Salvation. In fact the music was so different that I had no idea Elfman had scored it in the first place. It definitely surprised me! I think it's important that every artist scoring for a movie do their absolute best to give the film something unique. A musical score that will help it stand apart form all the other films composed by the same artist. Sequels aren't an issue with me cause they are expected to carry a certain theme with them. But a completely different film is another story (figuratively and literally). But for The Dark Knight movie it wasn't the music that disappointing me, it was how the Joker was portrayed. And not just his personality, but also his overall design. He looks like a colored-up version of The Crow. Tim Berton did a much better job with his Joker. The only villain that stole the show and did a damned good job was Two-face.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »
Yes, the same happened to me with Terminator Salvation. It surprised me when I read it was Danny Elfman. During the film I didn't notice about it.
I used to like Danny Elfman scores when I was a teenager, but the last one I really liked was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Since then, he's been lacking in his fantasy works.

With Hans Zimmer the problem is that now he doesn't care about melody, he is experimenting while repeating the same sound over and over. Years ago he was criticized for rehashing the same theme over and over, but at least there was a nice melody, nice chords... now all he does come across as noise to me, with some exceptions like Rango or Sherlock Holmes 2, that anyway can't hold a candle to his best works.

And yes, I agree with the Joker. Tim Burton's one was so much better. I don't know if it's because Nicholson was more capable of doing a compelling Joker than Ledger. I think it's Nolan's fault, Ledger did pretty well from what he was asked to do, I believe. It made me sad during the movie knowing that the actor had passed away. But the performance was OK, it wasn't glorious as most people says.
Another brilliant villain from the old Batman movies was the Penguin.

I remember that during the hype of Batman Begins / TDK, I decided to pick up the old films, and I didn't expect anything, but the first 2, especially the 2nd, really surprised me. They are excellent.
The 3rd and 4th film are laughable  :P

And I loved Batman Begins and TDKR, but just not TDK.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 06:06:47 PM »
For all the hate the old Batman movies get, Nicholson, DeVito and ... oh shit I forgot her name... But they were all EXCELLENT villainous actors. The sequels were just hamming shit up. Robin was detrimental to the series. The first two Batman movies were so dark and I actually felt SAD when Penguin died. Sad funeral progression of penguins already primed in proper pallbearer's attire.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 07:47:24 PM »
Wojciech Kilar all the way baby.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:22:47 PM »
Yes, the Penguin's death made me sad too, it's one of my favourite scenes ever, and the theme from Danny Elfman for that scene is glorious!

Nice list Waffle! There's a good deal of HZ there, though... but that's the good HZ.

And yes, Wojciech Kilar's Bram Stoker's Dracula was fantastic!

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 01:56:25 AM »
I thought the Man of Steel music was fine.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Pfil

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
I'm glad to read a good opinion.
I still didn't watch the movie but my hopes kept going down from everything I've been reading.
The review from Filmtracks for Man of Steel soundtrack was lapidary (score 1/5).

Tags:

anything