Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Encouragement Tips and Inspiration Thread  (Read 19385 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Re: Encouragement Tips and Inspiration Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 10:38:11 PM »
This is in my signature at Game Maker Community:

Do not think about where you want to be and how to get there; think about what you want to do and how to do it.

Unfortunately, most people at GMC either never read the sig or have no idea what it means. It kinda makes me out to be a bit of an asshole on those forums, although compared to some members like GameGeisha I do exhibit a bit more patience toward some wannabe programmers. I mean, sure the saying is a bit cryptic (and it's original, too -- copyright of TheouAegis), but it has its place in programming as well as life in general.

How the saying pertains to programming is a lot of wannabe programmers at GMC ask questions like, "Can GameMaker be used to make trading card games?", "How do I make moving platforms?", or, "Why can't my player move?". These are examples of where you want to be and how to get there. If they would just stop and think about what kind of steps need to be taken to reach their goal, they'd be able to read the Help File and figure things out on their own. What do you need to happen with a moving platform? Who is controlling the player when the player is on a moving platform? What components of a trading card game do you want in your game and what functions in GM sound like they might work for those components? And the one all too often newbie programmers fail to comprehend: When you're checking for collisions, which collisions do you actually care about at the time of the check? These are all examples of what you want to do and how to do it.

But yeah, the saying can be used to apply to everyday life too. Like, don't stress over being rich, worry about doing what makes you happy now. Or don't worry about getting married, first find a girl that makes you happy. Or don't worry about having kids and raising a family, first find a woman who you'll still love and want to be with even when she's fat and cranky -- finding one that's already fat and cranky can hasten the application process.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 12:46:07 AM »
"We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness."
~Charlie Chaplin

"Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great."
~Orison Swett Marden

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 12:57:21 AM »
+3
"I'M INVICIBLE!"

Black Knight

Black Knight
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 10:51:46 AM »
"You're a loony." LOL!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 06:36:03 PM »
"She's a witch! Burn her!"

Nothing more motivational than an angry mob.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »
That would inspire me only if they say "no" and burn the guy that said that. Saying things like that can get you burned you know? By witches.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Lone Wolf

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 11:38:17 PM »
"I'M INVICIBLE!"

Black Knight

Black Knight

My god, i fucking laughed a lot when the knight kicked his head while he was praying. LOL XD
Amazing video! Now an encouraging quote of mine:

"When someone beloved has departed, don't keep the bad memories, but yes, the good ones; don't think of how he died, but yes, of how he lived..."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 01:59:22 AM »
"She's a witch! Burn her!"

Nothing more motivational than an angry mob.

Not only motivational, also educational.

Monty Python Scientific Method
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 03:17:52 PM »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Lone Wolf

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 08:12:54 PM »
Not only motivational, also educational.

Monty Python Scientific Method

What the fuck did i just watch? xD
2:17 Man stopped shaving himself just to see this??? 8/

And they didn't do well with those scales... Why a duck? Why not 50 food?

Age of Empires Drum Mix

Argh, so many questions... Urgh! X|

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 12:38:51 AM »
+1
My god, i fucking laughed a lot when the knight kicked his head while he was praying. LOL XD
Amazing video! Now an encouraging quote of mine:

"When someone beloved has departed, don't keep the bad memories, but yes, the good ones; don't think of how he died, but yes, of how he lived..."

This reminds me of the last samurai

The Last Samurai: I Will Tell You How He Lived
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Mooning Freddy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 08:03:30 AM »
Bought a pair of trousers today. Really nice ones. But dammit those Chinese manufacturers really need to stop making horrible spelling mistakes.

~Charlie Sheen

Lone Wolf

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2013, 11:28:56 AM »
This reminds me of the last samurai

The Last Samurai: I Will Tell You How He Lived

Yes! I took the second part of the quote from there, actually. Then i added the first part, myself, due to some reflections i had about this one.

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 01:07:34 PM »
+2

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 01:11:51 PM »
Thanks, that worked better than the last attempts. :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Tags:

anything