Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: 3DS vs Vita (Nintendo vs Sony) Thread  (Read 10281 times)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« on: October 09, 2013, 07:34:04 AM »
Since some people are interested in this debate, I've created a proper thread to this.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: 3DS vs Vita (Nintendo vs Sony) Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 01:20:05 PM »
I only own a 3DS and I love it and its library of games. The Vita is incredibly impressive and I would love to get one someday, but I'm not digging the games it has so far. It's sad to see all that potential go to waste.

So, to answer the question: 3DS wins for me, and at the same time noone would be happier than I if the Vita would get its shit together. Cause I'm genuinely interested in it. But for now: 3DS is my favorite gaming device out of basically everything out there, consoles included.

I don't do "Sony vs Nintendo" cause I love/hate both companies equally.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »
I did a side by side comparison during the 2 months I owned a 3DS. I downloaded many demos, bought a few games, and took in everything the 3DS had to offer. After that time, I found myself favoring the vita in just about every facet.

There's no question that the vita has fewer actual vita games to choose from than the 3DS. But I think that the games that are available are much better than what is out there on the 3DS.

But this comes down to preference. I love action adventure games, shooting games, fighting games, and racing games. The vita offers some seriously awesome games in all of these genres. And also, new RPG's are coming out on it all of the time.

Like I said, the vita may have a smaller actual vita library, but when you add what's available as vita games with all of the downloadable PSP, PS1 classics, and Mini's games, it ends up having more to choose from.

I don't think the 3DS is a bad handheld, I just think it's highly over rated and under powered compared to the vita. I wish more people would get on board with the vita. More sales of the vita will encourage developers to make more exclusive games for it.

I am a PS3/ future PS4 owner, and I love the compatibility between the vita and the 3 and 4. Apparently Sony plans to do even more between the vita and the PS4.

I only own a 3DS and I love it and its library of games. The Vita is incredibly impressive and I would love to get one someday, but I'm not digging the games it has so far. It's sad to see all that potential go to waste.

What games on the vita have you actually played? Also, what type of games are you into?

The worst monsters are human.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:31:01 PM »
I played Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, Wipeout, Muramasa, Gravity Rush, Soul Sacrifice and Disgaea 3. Only briefly, mind you. After all, I don't own the handheld. There was absolutely nothing wrong with these games but the only one I would actually consider buying was Gravity Rush. I already own Muramasa on the Wii, and I love it. So that's a greát game right there, but not a Vita seller for obvious reasons. Same with Disgaea 3 - great game but I've played it to death on my PS3.

I'm sure there are other games that are great too, so feel free to recommend some that I may not have considered. I play a little bit of everything, but RPGs are especially interesting, and platformers. And niche stuff, regardless of genre. I am not big on the Uncharteds/GoWs/Halos/GTAs/CoDs/Gran Turismos of the world though..

Persona is a favorite of mine, but much like Muramasa, I already have it elsewhere.

I want Ys: Memories of Celceta, so that might seal the deal. But I want more games! Maybe if a Yakuza game is released in the west I'd be more excited.

You do bring up something though: The PS4/Vita connectivity. I am 100% gonna get a PS4, so that could add a whole new selling point for me.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:31:28 PM »
More powerful hardware basically means diddly. It's that whole "Sega does what Nintendon't" thing all over again. I thought we were older than 8.

Get games I'd wanna play for it on the system and I'll consider getting a Vita, but as it stands it'll go as unplayed as my PSP was compared to my DS. I'm not making the mistake again of buying a system for a small handful of games.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 04:04:17 PM »
Haha, it's all about the games.

3DS wins hands down.
Vita's graphics are great but I don't give a shit about 'em.  And I'm not into its games, so there's that.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »
I want to know what great games you guys are playing on the 3ds?

I'm into action adventure. Does 3ds have something that beats uncharted and assassins creed?

Like I said, I also like shooters, fighters, and racers.

I've been really impressed with the vita in these genres.

And the hardware is important to a lot of people. It's not the most important thing, but you can't just write it off.

The shape and comfortability play a big role on handhelds as well. Did anyone ever try to play Metriod hunters on the DS? It was a hell on your hands. I like fps games, and the 3ds is Pretty much impotent in that genre. That's by no means all I play, but I like to have the option.

I had a 3ds XL for all of my comparisons btw.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »
Not really into FPSs myself, especially not on a handheld.

I like action games and shooters too, but probably not the same you're into. I'm also really into sidescrollers. 3DS has the following games which all satisfy my needs:

Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Liberation Maiden
Mutant Mudds
Mighty Switch Force! series
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Not a terrible lot of original content that catches my eye (and one of those is a port), and I border the lines between casual and hardcore gamer so gaming is a very leisurely, once-in-a-while thing for me, but you mentioned Vita's backcatalog, which the 3DS has as well through Virtual Console and DS backward compatibility.

Basically, for my needs, the 3DS meets them, and nothing on the Vita has caught my eye, and I'm not about to buy a handheld with better hardware just because it might get games I'd like.

I guess what bugs me in all your 3DS vs. Vita posts is your attitude that "Come ON!!! VITA R00LZ! Get wit' da program, gaiz!" rubs me the wrong way, especially since you're so adamant to point out the inferior tech of the 3DS—which, again, means jack to me and to a lot of others, and really shouldn't matter and doesn't determine how good a game will be. Get some good games on that shit (even you admitted there's not much original Vita content) and I'll consider it.

Basically, you kinda come off as the guy at the beginning of this video.

Sega CD - Angry Video Game Nerd

It's the '90s all over again.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 05:57:40 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 09:42:53 PM »
I want to know what great games you guys are playing on the 3ds?

I'm into action adventure. Does 3ds have something that beats uncharted and assassins creed?

Like I said, I also like shooters, fighters, and racers.

I've been really impressed with the vita in these genres.

And the hardware is important to a lot of people. It's not the most important thing, but you can't just write it off.

The shape and comfortability play a big role on handhelds as well. Did anyone ever try to play Metriod hunters on the DS? It was a hell on your hands. I like fps games, and the 3ds is Pretty much impotent in that genre. That's by no means all I play, but I like to have the option.

I had a 3ds XL for all of my comparisons btw.

Not really into FPSs myself, especially not on a handheld.

I like action games and shooters too, but probably not the same you're into. I'm also really into sidescrollers. 3DS has the following games which all satisfy my needs:

Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Liberation Maiden
Mutant Mudds
Mighty Switch Force! series
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

That's just the tip abnormal  :P .

There's also fire emblem awakening not to mention all the support atlus has given with the megami tensei franchise you have soul hackers , iv, updates to devil survivor 1 & soon to be 2. Shooters like Recca 92' which I am going to get soon. Tales of the abyss, zelda oot3d, and shinobi 3ds are some. The 3ds has software and the vita lacks that, also all these titles mentioned on the 3ds do have quality. And the games do not stop coming out either. As for the comfort of the 3ds it's not the worst but the gbc,gba/sp to me still rocks all others handhelds in terms of comfort and accessibility.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Kaori

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 10:01:48 PM »
I don't own a Vita, and really don't plan on it unless they release an English Tales of game, Kingdom Hearts, or Castlevania game on it. I have a PSP, and like my Wii, the only use I have for it is as an emulator...and even then, I use my Wii for that 80% of the time. I do have a few games for the PSP that I really enjoy, but overall the PSP really didn't have a whole lot I was interested in. If more things from Japan were brought over to English speaking countries, then maybe I would have thought the system was better. However, we just didn't really get too many things that interested me over here in America. This is the main reason why I haven't purchased the Vita. I don't want it to become a pretty decoration like my PSP has become over the years, and plus, there is no game on the Vita that I feel like is worth purchasing the Vita for. I've considered on numerous occasions selling my PSP because I haven't touched it in 3 years.

Now, my 3DS on the other hand, gets use all the time. At first I had no interest in the 3DS at launch...but SO MANY GOOD GAMES have come out on the 3DS, it's amazing. I have high hopes for the 3DS. The DS had a pretty good library of games too, so I'm hoping that the 3DS continues to be really good as well. I'm sure will only get better with Pokemon X and Y...but yeah.  :P

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 11:35:16 PM »
Option C, who gives a shit.  ;D

All these kinds of threads tend to do is cause folks to argue over the most moot of points, which console is better. See it still with the 16 bit systems some 20 years later, enjoy whatever the heck you want, who cares what someone else thinks.

The same thing could be said about the DS and PSP, truth be told I have a slight balance more PSP than DS stuff, but then again I have what I want out of those systems. I don't go around saying, "OH HEY NINTENDO IS BETTER" or "HEY I TINK SONY BE BETTA YO" because honestly both have been in the doghouse for me for a few years now. And M$ is not ever in the equation for me.

Truth be told, my GBA kills the other 2 in time played and in library, it can play my GB and GBC (I save my GBA stuff for my DS oddly), though I need to get ahold of a GBA SP with AC adapter so I can save on batteries on my original model GBA. Plus my GBA, DS, and PSP don't have shitty region lock, every console I own and handheld is region free, modded to be region free, or has some device that lets me play imports (except my Wii, but it has import VC games on it). Nintendo chose to make the 3DS region locked, they can go fuck themselves for that.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:50:00 PM by Bloodreign »

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 06:20:13 AM »
IMO 3DS wins by a landslide because of the GAMES. It's basically just the PSP and DS battle all over again. If you want a large selection of quality games get the 3DS. If you want a bunch of PS3 ports, get a Vita.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 09:45:34 AM »
The games that you guys have listed that interested me were Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. 2, and Shinobi 3. The rest I'm just not into. I would still choose Gaucamele, Little Big Planet, Rayman Origins, Limbo, and Muramasa over those.

I think something I'm forgetting to mention here (as far as PS3 ports go) is that I rarely get to play my PS3. My fiance and my daughter have the living room TV pretty much on lock down all day, so the only games I really get to play anymore are on my vita. So having a handheld that gets console games is a huge plus to me. And the remote play is also going to be huge for me with the PS4. So for me, having a hand held system with the hardware to be able to port console quality games without degrading them is essential, because the ports are often all I get to play. Vita just got another really cool game called Malicious Rebirth. That's right that a good chunk of vita games are on PS3, I think that's kind of the point, to put a console in your pocket. This is another reason why the vita beats out the 3DS for me, besides the fact that the games you guys listed just don't appeal to me all that much, though I don't doubt they are good.

I actually had a DS instead of a PSP. But I was jealous of my friends who had PSP's.. Still, I enjoyed my DS, but I cried a little when the Dracula X chronicles came out.

If this were 13 years ago we would be having this debate over the Neo Geo Pocket Color and the Gameboy color. Because I was in favor of the Neo Geo back then!

@ Abnormal Freak.
FPS on a handheld has never been done well until Killzone Mercenary came out. So If you haven't played that game, I can understand why FPS on a handheld might not appeal to you. Then again, Killzone might not be your thing, but either way, that game represents a shift in what a handheld FPS can be like.

I guess what bugs me in all your 3DS vs. Vita posts is your attitude that "Come ON!!! VITA R00LZ! Get wit' da program, gaiz!"

Come on man. I'm not like that, and I don't spell like a giant douche. Is mocking me really necessary?

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 10:09:33 AM »
I've never tried the Vita out. I'm still waiting to see if any games come out for it that might catch my eye (I'm looking at you Ys 4!!)

So until that game comes out or something else that I find interesting I won't have the need to pick one up.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »
+1

I want to say something like. "REAL GAMERZ OWN EVERY CONSOLE AND HANDHELD!!!1" because that is truly the ideal situation for me, as a huge fan of video games in general. And as such, I want a Vita too. I'm just waiting for a couple of exclusives that makes it worth it. Or a couple of PS3 games that I would much rather play on a handheld.

Apart from Ys: Memories of Celceta and Gravity Rush, maybe Arkham Origins Blackgate could be a nice game to start with, even though it's coming to the 3DS as well. But it's gonna look a lot better on the Vita and sometimes nice graphics are...y'know, nice.

I'm also a bit curious about New Little King's Story (forgot that it was on the Vita) cause I liked the original.

Then we have Dragon's Crown which I still haven't played on PS3. That might be something I could potentially see myself playing on a Vita...

The Final Fantasy X/X-2 bundle could also be interesting on a handheld.

Finally, if Tales of Innocence R is released in the west, I would seriously consider a Vita.

So yeah. I guess there are games that I want after all.

Tags: nintendo Sony psx vita 3DS PSP Wii Wii U Ps4 Ps3 

anything