Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Soccer and Politics  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« on: November 09, 2007, 06:20:25 AM »
For the first time in Israel's history, supreme court has penalized a soccer team for (highly) inappropriate behavior of their fans.

The Israeli soccer team "Beitar Jerusalem" (my home team) is one of the best soccer teams (if not the best) in Israel. However, they have always been well-known around the country for another thing as well: the violent attitude and the political attribution of their fans- who are almost entirely (radical) rightists. So it is not in anyway surprising for hardcore soccer fans to hear Beitar fans shouting out "death to the Arabs" during games or calling Arab-Israeli soccer players "terrorists".

But on the previous week, the supreme court of Israel has decided it had enough of the fans' inappropriate behavior.
On last week, it was the 12th memorial day for the murder of Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabbin (in 1995). Every year, ceremonies are held in schools and in several places around the country, in memory of Rabbin's "legacy": a legacy of putting an end to violence, teaching values like pluralism and understanding between the two nations (Israelis and Palestinians). Today, many Israelis are against holding the memorial day, whether out of practical reasons (they think Rabbin did not do any more than any other leader for Israel, and therefore does not deserve a memorial day) and others because of disrespect to the man himself, who they believe did more damage to Israel than use.

On the day of Memorial, a soccer game has been held. Beitar was playing against Maccabi Haifa. The game organizers decided to have a short memorial ceremony before the game, and the players wore shirts with the writing "end violence" on them. Obviously, the Beitar fans did not like that. As protest, hundreds of fans interrupted the ceremony with loud shouts and songs in condemn of Rabbin and in favor of his murderer, Yigal Amir.   

Supreme court has declared the fans' actions as disgraceful and hurtful of Israel's democratic society, and penalized the team with playing two game without supporters.

The opinion of the team owner, Arkady Gaidamak, however, was different. He said that the behavior of the fans was only a protest against the ceremony, that was intended to harm their feeling and political views. "Political ceremonies have no place at soccer games"- he explained.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3469169,00.html

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3467773,00.html

What do you think? Was it fair holding the ceremony at the soccer, knowing that the fans aren't "very fond" of it? Or was the fans behavior totally inappropriate, and there is no excuse to such behavior?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 06:24:39 AM by Freddy Krueger »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 07:12:55 AM »
In Reply To #1

If the team itself isn't supporting such ignorance, than the team shouldn't be punished.  If they're taking part in the extremist behavior, however, than yes, they should be punished.
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Azmodan

• Vampire Hunter
  • Captain Obvious :(
    • Awards
Re: Soccer and Politics
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 10:45:55 AM »
In Reply To #1

I imagine it comes down to the right to state your opinion. No matter how ignorant or ill-informed it is, I guess it is your right to have your views acknowledged.
---------------------------------------
The Chapel of Resonance- OST's, reviews, translations, and the latest Fan Games- any and everything Castlevania!

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 11:37:35 AM »
In Reply To #1

If the team itself isn't supporting such ignorance, than the team shouldn't be punished.  If they're taking part in the extremist behavior, however, than yes, they should be punished.

The funny thing is, that the players in the team are not partial to that behavior. Several players, in interviews and messages to their hardcore fans, requested from them to "cease this foolishness" several times, mostly because fans of the team often started fights with fans of other teams, what too frequently ended with hospitalization. The team exists for 70 years, it's fans are like one, big (barbarian)  family, and some of the fans are 3rd generation fans. Violence and racism is like a tradition among the fans, and that lack of sportsmanship is very embarrassing considering that it's the best team in the country.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Tags: