Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Haunted Castle  (Read 70869 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2013, 09:29:54 AM »
Is it the exact same, though?

No it isn't. The hanged man boss in Castlevania Quest was taken from the hanged men BG sprites in the mansions of CV II Simon's Quest. What you're using there is a custom rendered sprite based on them. It's nice to see it again though  ;)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2013, 12:51:26 PM »
So it will be even better, since in Rebirth its just a sub-boss that clings at a wall like any normal bone Dragon but can launch every piece of his body at you, them they return to their original place.

At 6:32
(First Look) Stage 3-1 - Castlevania ReBirth / ドラキュラ伝説 ReBirth

This one can act a bit like Serris, but not so much After all it is only a sub-boss.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:06:08 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2013, 03:55:23 PM »
Yeah, sort of. Thinking about it, Angel Mummy is a pretty similar comparison, too.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2013, 03:51:51 PM »
Well, the engine's gotten pretty solid and smoothly-running, so I have time to fiddle around with various effects and polish it a bit before the demo release gets finalized.

Currently I'm working on something to make the Stopwatch feel more "real," and not just a floating clock. Something that shows that there's a field of energy or something. This is what I've come up with so far, but it's still being worked on. I'm actually discussing possible effects and changes for it on Inc. as I'm writing this up.

Chronomage ain't got shit on me

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »
Looks fabulous D9!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2013, 05:43:48 PM »
Well, the engine's gotten pretty solid and smoothly-running, so I have time to fiddle around with various effects and polish it a bit before the demo release gets finalized.

Currently I'm working on something to make the Stopwatch feel more "real," and not just a floating clock. Something that shows that there's a field of energy or something. This is what I've come up with so far, but it's still being worked on. I'm actually discussing possible effects and changes for it on Inc. as I'm writing this up.

Chronomage ain't got shit on me
Love the effect! I am assuming that everything on screen will be in slow mo  and not totally stopped . Maybe, a blurred effect on the actives in the screen would help sell it a little better!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2013, 04:55:41 PM »
Blur effects might be possible. I know what you're asking, and THAT might be difficult to pull off, but I may be able to create a generic grey-white blur over the enemies. I could also maybe get all the enemies to become black-and-white, assuming I can find a cheap workaround.

But as for the light effect itself, it isn't too much or too flashy?

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2013, 07:05:48 PM »
It certainly gives the Stopwatch a sense of greater power.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2013, 07:19:20 PM »
Instead of black and white, why you dont use a "negative" effect? Like using the opposite color, its classical in games like Megaman X 5 and even DoS when you fight this boss that control time (forgot his name).
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2013, 08:27:53 PM »
Doing that would require me to make negative sprite sets of every single instance in the game, which would take up a shit ton of space. This is really the only way to do that, since AFAIK GM has no way to mass-invert a given set of graphics.

I would need some external .dll or .gml, probably written in C+, to make such an effect possible; and I don't know of any.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: September 30, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
Or you can use a semi transparent sprite that does this negative effect and have the size of the screen (its only a idea, I dont know if GM can do it and if it would work as intended), but all things that are immune to it would be a layer above from it.

This way you can do it with 1 object. In MMF2 we can do it creating a object and setting it to semi transparent, then we choose the % that we want and add XOR (or its OR? I ever confuse them) and it already gives this negative effect. If something similar could be done them it can be helpful.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2013, 07:24:05 AM »
I think by turning the surrounding environment and enemies all greyscale would be a more visually entertaining effect than transparency. I wouldn't change the stopwatch effect, I think it's good where it's at now.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »
I rather like the mist effect, even if it might look somewhat overdone. After all, you're freezing time -- you won't really need much of an "area of effect" animation.
Personally, I'm pretty confident that the stopwatch looks good as it is; but, if anything, you might give it something of a slight bounce or spin effect, for some added livelihood. That shouldn't be too hard to implement. And maybe make the stopwatch feel more like a clock -- less like a circle with a number in it.
But for the rest, it's quite good!
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking of making some kind of clock face bound to the view that changes like the Stopwatch in DXX/Rondo. Maybe even using Roman numerals.

As for the effect, I've been digging around on GMC boards, and the only way to ideally make everything grayscale would require me to make two sets of every single graphic and write a code trigger in every object, and I sure as shit ain't doing all that.

However, I'm looking into a surface redraw effect that would (if I'm reading it right) make the background solid white and all objects(though I'm sure I could edit Simon's shit to be exempt) solid black. Assuming I can get it to work without using up too much memory and the exemptions work as I'd like, do you think that would look okay? I don't know if sudden shifts to solid colors would look good, though the idea is very appealing, since on a technical stretch stopping time around you would also stop the visible rebounding of color in things and all that.

EDIT: OR, I could scrap the desaturation of color and make the enemies slow down their movement and animation speed before stopping completely. That way I can sell the effect better and not have to go nuts on potentially-good-potentially-failing script implementations.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:55:55 PM by Dracula9 »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking of making some kind of clock face bound to the view that changes like the Stopwatch in DXX/Rondo. Maybe even using Roman numerals.

As for the effect, I've been digging around on GMC boards, and the only way to ideally make everything grayscale would require me to make two sets of every single graphic and write a code trigger in every object, and I sure as shit ain't doing all that.

However, I'm looking into a surface redraw effect that would (if I'm reading it right) make the background solid white and all objects(though I'm sure I could edit Simon's shit to be exempt) solid black. Assuming I can get it to work without using up too much memory and the exemptions work as I'd like, do you think that would look okay? I don't know if sudden shifts to solid colors would look good, though the idea is very appealing, since on a technical stretch stopping time around you would also stop the visible rebounding of color in things and all that.

EDIT: OR, I could scrap the desaturation of color and make the enemies slow down their movement and animation speed before stopping completely. That way I can sell the effect better and not have to go nuts on potentially-good-potentially-failing script implementations.

How about making a solid 50% grey color (or whatever's convenient)and then just changing the opacity in a paint program until it's semi-transparent. That way the color won't be so solid. Just a thought...

Tags:

anything