Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania (Working title) - Screenshots & Videos  (Read 19556 times)

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Castlevania (Working title) - Screenshots & Videos
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2008, 05:48:38 AM »
In Reply To #30

Let me clarify:

There's not enough physical room to shade the arm in that position, as it's at the edge of the frame. From what I can tell, adding more dark pixels on the existing arm would just make it confusing and crowded. Not like you're going to notice missed shading while it's in motion anyway.

I've edited sprites myself, not nearly as much as you, but... I had to sacrifice shading or proportion in order to fit it into the frame in a sensible manner. I mostly worked with NES sprites though.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 05:50:18 AM by A N T R A X X »

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2008, 04:55:50 PM »
In Reply To #31

Ah, I think I get what he means.  He's referring (I think) to how when you look at the sprite sheet in, say, a ROM, sometimes the sprites are all chopped away and in order to not have to make yet another 8x8 'tile' for those extra pixels, they just choose not to put them.

This was the way of the older ROM formats.  In SotN though, ANTRAXX, I believe they had plenty of room in the spritesheet since it wasn't chopped away too much.

They've gotten sloppier over time.  If you look at the DoS Spritesheet from the ROM, I believe they left out all of the space (basically having the entire frame, even though it's got lots of empty 'air' mask space, it's still accounted for.

I do somewhat agree that the shading (or lack thereof) was done probably to give a sense of perspective, as since one of the arms is facing 'away' from the Camera, and it's supposed to be moving kinda realistically, it would appear 'smaller' to give it the sense that it's actually folded away or pointing away from the camera...

The frame where the leg disappears is because of the 15-color sprite limit.  They did not have a dark enough gray/black to compensate for the shading of the leg under the little tunic-bottom, so they went with Black and that almost turquoise-like color. 

The 'spike' on the knee I think is supposed to be a knee-pad that his boots have, though I agree that it's inconsistent with the way that same area looks in other frames.  I'm guessing the new spriters misconceptualized that part of the boot (whether it's the top of a high boot, or a kneepad/kneeguard attached to the top of a boot), so they went with their gut on it.

That still doesn't explain the pixel holes though, or the missing tunic-bottom missing in some frames, or the tunic-bottom sometimes looking longer/shorter... etc.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »
In Reply To #32

Well it's certainly got nothing on Alucard's sprite :)

Best sprite evar.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2008, 10:01:31 PM »
Alucard has almost no hair on one of his frames, falling slash forward and has 2 stray red pixels on it. :P

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2008, 11:26:34 PM »
In Reply To #34

That may be so, but you can't tell while its moving, can you.

But if they took the celerity blur away it might be more noticeable.

I just love his sprite in motion.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 12:36:58 AM »
Announcement time!

http://bbs.dimondsoft.com/index.php/topic,420.msg7399.html#msg7399

Starting next week, I will have an open discussion. A question and answer session about the Castlevania game. You can ask anything you want, but I will take only so many questions per session.

This week's topic for our group discussion is TV shows you watch (downloaded and otherwise) if youd like to join that too.

Each session will start at 3pm (Eastern time) on Saturdays, and have no designated ending time.

Not all weeks will initially be Q&A sessions, but feel free to suggest a subject if you'd like.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 11:55:58 PM »
Change of plans. I no longer have Saturdays available. It is now SUNDAYS AT 3PM EASTERN.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008, 11:20:59 PM »
Ok, work is jerking me around on days left and right, so...

For this week ONLY, there will be a Castlevania project Q&A SATURDAY August 23rd. I cannot attend the 3pm Sunday chat due to working that day. This is an additional chat day fro Saturday, and does not replace tomorrow's.

All subsequent chats will remain Sundays 3pm Eastern. Sorry for the inconvenience, but there isn't anything I can do about it.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2008, 02:22:58 AM »
http://www.dimondsoft.com/castlevania/

HUGE update, new site! Also, the IRC Q&A sessions have been replaced by an email answering system. Check the site out for more details.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2008, 10:25:36 PM »

there's gotta be a story there somewhere.  why would Maria's owl abandon her to be with Richter and be replaced with a she-devil?  very cute/cool picture.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2008, 05:19:04 AM »
In Reply To #40

yeah, there's a very good story behind it. it's a test to get the familiars working correctly, richter was first, so was the owl. :P

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2008, 09:41:26 AM »
In Reply To #41

Heh, I can just imagine the she-devil chasing the owl away from Maria and then whispering mischievous things into her ear.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2008, 10:00:33 AM »
http://www.dimondsoft.com/castlevania/

Some site updates. Basic FAQ questions, Help Wanted section, etc.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2008, 08:49:34 AM »
I decided to post a preview of whats to come, since I haven't posted anything in a while.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2008, 07:34:01 AM »
I love the new Richter sprite. But I recall you saying the game was going to use new characters. >.<

Tags:

anything