Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: How should Aria be played? Or how do you play it?  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Sinful

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
How should Aria be played? Or how do you play it?
« on: April 27, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »
+2
You know how your character has the ability to collect souls, and how it's random? Well, I want to ask this. Do you think the designers added this in for you to play one playthrough with only collecting some, thus leaving the rest to add variety for other playthroughs? Or do you think they wanted you to spend more time in the castle hitting the same enemy over and over to get what you want? And how do you prefer to play it (forget about what you think is right or wrong, just how you prefer it? ie. What gives you maximum enjoyment?).

All I know is that I don't think I'll get addicted to collecting them all or using and FAQ to look for what I'd think would be more interesting (such as luck to make drop rates easier... they do increase enemy drop rates, right? Because i got lucky for some luck boosting souls so far). Even though I'm so far not planning on replaying this game again anytime soon, if ever. Though if I'm caught going through a previously played area, I do get tempted to try and hit at least the enemies near me, or even go a bit out of my way.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: How should Aria be played? Or how do you play it?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:44:05 PM »
I went for an any% Good Ending run on my first run, and then a 100% souls one for my Hard Mode run. Personally, you're better off just doing an any% run since 100% souls just give you a couple extra lines for the good ending and a Chaos Ring which breaks the game sideways (as if Claimh Solais weren't enough).
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »
you're better off just doing an any% run since 100% souls just give you a couple extra lines for the good ending and a Chaos Ring which breaks the game sideways (as if Claimh Solais weren't enough).

Don't forget about the 'Headhunter soul'. That little yellow beauty ups almost all of your stats for the rest of the game. I also like to acquire the 'Ancient Belt' from those jumping bone dragons. It ups even more stats.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sinful

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:53:07 PM »
+1
Don't forget about the 'Headhunter soul'. That little yellow beauty ups almost all of your stats for the rest of the game. I also like to acquire the 'Ancient Belt' from those jumping bone dragons. It ups even more stats.

DON'T TEMP ME!!! (Joking, but yeah, still tempting. So use spoiler tags for revealing which enemy gives what, please).

Hmm, so the designers did want you at one point to collect them all if they added more to the ending for it then. Thanks for mentioning this, VladCT.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 03:45:47 AM »
Yeah like said before getting all souls gives you a Chaos ring that makes you practically invincible which is cool but quite useless at that part of the game.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 04:38:04 AM »
The big problem with AoS is that the soul drop rate is very low. I only have few souls in the end of the game.

I once did a playthrough in which I tried to collect almost every soul during the main game. It was a bit boring.

Offline VladCT

• Dark Lord of Wallachia
  • Master Hunter
  • The night is still young...
  • Awards 2015-01-Sprite Contest Gold Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 04:59:37 AM »
Death's Sickle (or Scythe, don't really remember) + Death's Robe + Soul Eater Ring, these should boost the drop rate a fair bit. Of course, you need to be on hard mode for the first two, while you may need the help of a Tsuchinoko soul for the last one.
It is precisely because it never cared, that people do care.  It's something which it's lacking, because that which it has, it has lackluster of.
^^
You are now reading this in Robert Belgrade's voice.

Then Lords of Shadow 2 just takes a big, semi-solid, smelly, pea-green dump all over everything.

Offline Sinful

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 06:39:54 AM »
+1
The big problem with AoS is that the soul drop rate is very low. I only have few souls in the end of the game.

Personally, I don't see this as a problem at all. To me it just helps a ton to balance the game more + add replay.

Of course, you need to be on hard mode for the first two, while you may need the help of a Tsuchinoko soul for the last one.

Alright, more incentives for replay (I'm talking only about hard mode here). So you can play Hard mode with any character then I take it? Plus what does hard mode change? I hope it's not something like lame like only increasing enemy health, strength, speed (plus of projectiles), etc. But more like more enemies scathered everywhere on top of taking more damage to kill, and maybe some to most of that other stuff I mentioned? Super C4 handled it with just more enemies and damage, right? Or was there a slight speed increase too? (Or am I thinking Bloodlines now?)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
Hard mode; besides upping the difficulty (though not by much) there is also many items lying about the castle that weren't available in the Easy Mode. I did notice however that there are some items that are in areas of the castle that you cannot get until you are almost finished the game, and by that time they become almost useless. I really don't know what the developers were thinking when the thought this through or if they thought about it at all.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything