Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CASTLEVANIA THE LECARDE CHRONICLES II April 2017  (Read 283183 times)

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: CASTLEVANIA THE LECARDE CHRONICLES II April 2017
« Reply #300 on: December 14, 2016, 05:29:07 PM »
So I finished the demo.  I'll try to organize my thoughts as best as possible but they may be a bit scrambled.

Criticisms - I'll just get these out of the way.
(click to show/hide)

Nitpicks - These are just mostly me and take them with a grain of salt.
(click to show/hide)

Bugs (And potential bugs)
(click to show/hide)

Pros
(click to show/hide)

One final overall thought - perhaps try to distance yourself from the stock Fusion representations such as the string object, included SFX and default fonts for counters that I've seen and make your fonts consistent across the board or at least personalized.  This will add a bit of extra professionalism.

Overall, very good job!  This is by far one of the best CV fangames that I've had the pleasure to play.  I look forward to playing more.  I probably played this around 70-80ish minutes.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: December 14, 2016, 06:18:49 PM »
Thanks Pisces!

All useful stuff!

This game is much bigger than you guys may realize.

And keep in mind guys this a different kind of open world CV. It's big like a metriodvania but has has the platofrming and challenges of a classicvania. It's a migavania. Lol

I'd say it's an 8 to 10 hour effort without uncovering all the secrets. Couple that with boss rush and Alucard boss rush mode and you've got a lot of play time and replay value.

Mig is wrapping up the main game now and he should have a good few months to polish it.
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #302 on: December 15, 2016, 12:35:16 AM »
Finished the demo for public.

The questionable spots I can tell by playing the demo for public - Not too much but there are something to talk about
(click to show/hide)

The things I enjoyed, enjoying and will enjoy
(click to show/hide)

My personal attitude towards this game which is still in work-in-progress status
(click to show/hide)

At last, I have faith that this game will be A Great, Satisfying and pleasant Adventure in the New Generation when the full game is out!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 05:30:06 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Jop

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2017-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2017-12-Holiday Sprite Award First Place 2016-04-Story Contest - 1st place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Gold 2015-05- Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • Awards
« Reply #303 on: December 15, 2016, 03:23:10 AM »
Well i enjoyed a lot, at 1st i need to know the rules so have problems but later I understand all.
Thanks to god the game accept my controller and didnt have problem (except one that i find the solution)

Dracula9 I have the same problem with the submenu, i use the start button and didnt work so i put in the R2 and works so try that, stil i think you finish it.

I dont know if this is the way to obtain this relic but if you use it in the beggining of the game you have more advantage (its more easy):
Its a video
(click to show/hide)

Have problems with the submenu but after that i didnt have any problems and enjoyed all, Im not the type of person that can give advice like all the others make so sorry if what i say sounds like all its fine XD.

By the way Mig
Dont read it, its spoiler!!!
(click to show/hide)

Offline Castle34hk

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #304 on: December 15, 2016, 04:04:28 AM »
Great demo I have not played the whole demo but really good demo thnxs:)

Offline The Puritan

• Vagabond
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #305 on: December 15, 2016, 05:23:10 PM »
After Death takes your sword and you move onto the right, you might find Death just floating there near the rope. This happened to me only once and I was pressing the attack button to skip through his dialogue. Didn't happen on my second time through.

Two minor gripes:

1. I don't know if it's intentional or just my timing, but the hitbox for candles seems a little too precise.

2. Might want to add downward swings in midair.

Otherwise it was a blast! Can't wait for the whole thing.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #306 on: December 15, 2016, 10:55:23 PM »
I dont know if this is the way to obtain this relic but if you use it in the beggining of the game you have more advantage (its more easy):
Its a video
(click to show/hide)
Probably... I got the relic, but I don't think it's as useful as it should be... in LC1 it was used more frequently than here

By the way Mig
Dont read it, its spoiler!!!
(click to show/hide)
It's so cool...
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline BloodStorm83

• Awards
« Reply #307 on: December 16, 2016, 03:04:33 AM »
Sorry to say this but for me it's unplayable. When I enter main menu the cursor moves itself up or down and when I suddenly start new game the control's don't work at all. (apart from esc button) I've also tried it using snes usb gamepad and the result is sadly the same.

Lecarde chronicles I work's perfectly for me.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: December 16, 2016, 03:47:34 AM »
Probably... I got the relic, but I don't think it's as useful as it should be... in LC1 it was used more frequently than here

This is like 5% of the game you've played in the demo here and it's a relic that you've all managed to obtain early. Please keep in mind the context that this is a small demo. I've watched the entire game up to its current place of development be played and that relic was used constantly.

This game is huge compared to LC1. A lot of these critiques you guys are making make sense, but some are being made way too hastily and without the proper context in mind.

This is a demo!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:43:31 AM by Belmontoya »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: December 16, 2016, 04:06:01 AM »
Sorry to say this but for me it's unplayable. When I enter main menu the cursor moves itself up or down and when I suddenly start new game the control's don't work at all. (apart from esc button) I've also tried it using snes usb gamepad and the result is sadly the same.

Lecarde chronicles I work's perfectly for me.

Sorry to hear that man...

We expected there to be some issues as only a few people had played up until now. Mig may do a demo update to try to address some of these problems. But I assure you that the final game will address this. I hope you get a chance to play the demo!

Offline eryson

• The Fangaems Connoisseur
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: DraculaXX (SNES)
« Reply #310 on: December 16, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »
I've played the thing until the end, so I'll do my impressions.

First, the atmosphere of the game is awesome, the musics fit very well, and i've loved that the music changes during each phase of the day, its a really noice touch. But making the phase of the day change EACH TIME that you go to another session of the map gives a feeling that the day is very short and passes very quicky. maybe can be good to, instead to EVERY time, add a "more time" to the period change, for the example, its morning, pass 2 screens (can return to the same screen), afternoon, pass 2 screens, evening, 2 screens, night, etc. it could make the day naturally long. Please consider that Its just a suggestion, Mig can think different.

About the gameplay, I think that Mig is using the same idea that was applied in his older game Haunted Castle 3; each new area of the game is hard and the monsters are tough at first, but in the shop have a weapon that can help you to kill them normally, so all weapon in the game is really valuable in its own time. so, with patience and a bit of trial-error, the difficulty can be  fair and balanced.

After finishing the demo, the map is showing 37%, maybe is it that is giving the players a WRONG feeling that the game is short. but its a demo :)

For last, i'd like to suggest a couple of things, add the diagonal-down slash during the jump too, it can help to kill some annoying enemies without obligatory need of holy water.
And... Will (or can) be added that Awesome "Torture chamber" remix in that Skeletons-filled dungeon of the screenshots? i'd love to play a "death-filled" stage like that with that music!!

Offline Ralph

• Professional Lurker
  • Master Hunter
  • Hai.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Ralphy's Nonsense
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #311 on: December 16, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
I really enjoyed the demo and I am stoked for the ultimate final release. There's a few problems I had but overall it was a very good experience.

What I Loved:

+ Atmosphere is spot on, when a game gives me a feeling of dread, I am sold. The final area of the demo did this superbly.
+ The music is top notch. Absolutely experienced frisson when playing this demo because of it.
+ The spritework and art is also satisfying. This was to be expected though, I've played Mig's games since HC3 and I've always admired his original work.
+ Areas constantly evolving with the day/night cycle was cool, hearing music cycle in the same areas was a really nice touch.
+ The difficulty seems fair for early game. Everything is a threat, but nothing is too overly hard.

Criticisms:

- The jump ring had some very unforgiving hitboxes.
- I felt like candles were a chore to hit, the hitboxes are also not very forgiving.
- The ropes feel like they are hard to grab onto when reaching for them from below. This is most apparent in the spiked area with the two monsters on the ceiling.
- The loading time when going in and out of the menu was very disorienting. Personal nitpick of mine, but I'm haunted by the PSX Chrono Trigger port's menu.
- As a person who loves using the Xbox 360 controller for PC gaming, I felt disappointed I was only able to use the control stick.

Suggestions/Questions:

Is there any way for you guys to let us change what the menu buttons are for "accept" and "cancel"? Perhaps a toggle to let us alternate the two between attack=cancel and, jump=accept and attack=accept and jump=cancel, or map it whatever keys/buttons of our choice, etc?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:35:13 PM by Ralph »
A wild Ralph appears.
Wild Ralph uses Teleport.

Offline mig3

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: December 16, 2016, 01:48:44 PM »
Hi everybody.

Thanks for trying the demo and for the feed back. I'm working on some add but for now i have release the demo1.9
-The nasty bug that stucks the players in gaps ( as in the pit bottom ) while crouching is fixed.
-The words "independently" is now good.
-I'm sorry but the wind relic wasn't supposed to be available at this part of the game so it cannot be taken now.

I will try to input xbox controlling but for now i suggestI to use JOY2KEY and only set up the d-pad on the keyboard arrows.

By the way the completed percentage is something about 35% but it's only 35% of the current map, there are many maps.

I will give more explanations laters.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 01:55:27 PM by mig3 »

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: December 16, 2016, 09:23:13 PM »
We all had a chance to talk about the game a little with Joel.

http://dlvr.it/MvPRhn

And just be clear. At one point he asked us why we're going to such lengths to make a free game. I gave one reason that we could easily do an original and we have some planned but we really wanted to make a new 2D CV game. I said there at a lot of Castlevania-like games out there, but when it's not CV it's not the same.

Let me clarify that I in no way meant that as a jab at bloodstained! I'm excited as hell for bloodstained and it's place as a spiritual successor to cv. Bloodstained wasn't even in my mind when I wrote that. I was thinking of another Castlevania-like game we are working on called Wallachia that originally started as a cv clone and then morphed into more of its own thing.

Just want to clarify because I can see that someone took it that way!

It's horrifying to me for anyone to think I would take a jab at bloodstained. The game looks amazing and they are great people.

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #314 on: December 16, 2016, 11:13:33 PM »
I just completed the demo, and enjoyed it! Here are some of my thoughts:

Criticisms and Bugs:
- The game is programmed to be " Full Screen / Change Resolution Mode" which is probably one of the most frustrating types of resolution settings there is. The game looks like the resolution is approximately 640x480, so I'd highly suggest disabling the "Change Resolution Mode" in CF2.5 and just upscale the game to whatever resolution the player is using. Please add a setting to adjust screen resolution settings.
- Holding Left + Right at the same time makes Lecarde run in place.
- Holding Up + Down on a rope makes Lecarde climb in place.
- When crouch attacking, it looks like Lecarde twitches 1 pixel during his animation. Not a big deal, but looks like a Hotspot issue to me. Should be easy to resolve.
- No sound effect plays when the player jumps and lands on the ground.
- There's a bit of a delay or loading time when you enter the map and start screens. Depending on how the game is programmed I'm not sure if it's something that can be changed.
- I think there should be more of a margin of error when it comes to grabbing onto the floating rings. They seem to require super precise jumps which are difficult to land.
- Suggestion: Make it so Lecarde can switch to and from standing /crouching while attacking.

Things I liked:
+ Really loving the music! Fits the game nicely!
+ Atmosphere is surprisingly good for what's here. Some parts totally gave me a bit of a Momodora feel, which is awesome.
+ The controls are responsive and easy to handle.
+ The gameplay is solid.
+ Boss battles are engaging and some of the fights feel pretty original.
+ The art fits the theme of the game well and is a huge upgrade from Lecarde Chronicles 1.
+ Day and Night cycle is a nice addition and isn't frustrating like Simon's Quest.
+ Different music based on time is a welcome addition as well.

Overall I had a great time playing and looking forward to getting my hands on the final release!