Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: "Metroid Other M" Review Wackiness *No Spoilers!*  (Read 22308 times)

Offline Hanniballistic

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: "Metroid Other M" Review Wackiness *No Spoilers!*
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2010, 06:10:01 PM »
No, people knew she was a

But Other M turned her into a

While this is comical, I would have to disagree.  Ripley from the Alien films (Aliens especially) show her to be very emotional and maternal.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  She still kicks ass, but let's not pretend she was a killing machine with no emotion.  She was a multi-layered character and I think people only want to remember the parts where she is kicking Alien ass instead of the parts where she shows genuine fear or grief.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2010, 06:11:24 PM »
I agree totally. Lt. Riply is a tough-as-nails woman, but she's still human with human weaknesses. Samus is no different. We just had to wait awhile before we could see the human side of Samus and I personally think it worked out well. Samus is tough, but she's still human. Giving super hero characters morehumanizing traits gives them more depth and dimension. Even though Samus is the best of the best out of all the bounty hunters and never fails at her missions (even the impossible ones) she is, at heart and soul, human.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2010, 08:53:37 PM »
I own and have played through "Other M," but I just saw it in action (trailer form) the other day at a retail store, and was reminded that this really was an amazing game. I think it's better than I gave it credit for because I had so many expectations.

Offline Hanniballistic

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »
I own and have played through "Other M," but I just saw it in action (trailer form) the other day at a retail store, and was reminded that this really was an amazing game. I think it's better than I gave it credit for because I had so many expectations.

It's funny how you can play a game and be kinda cold towards it until it sinks in days, maybe weeks later and you realize what a great game it actually was.  Happened to me too. :)

I loved Other M, and I think some criticism was valid, but most was just nitpicking.  I personally was okay with the story, the voice acting and even the "crying" scene.  I thought it was a nice bridge from Super to Fusion.

Tags: