Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Dungeon Music Contests?  (Read 21113 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« on: November 24, 2014, 09:31:58 AM »
Ok guys I had an influx of contests ideas lately and this is another one I hope that the mods will look at and make a thread for:

I think we should have a Music contest each month similar to how Dwelling of Duels does each month.

We have a bunch of musicians on the Dungeon that can write, create, and perform music.

I think the contest should be limited to just Castlevania covers covering all era's all systems.

Each month the Dungeon votes on a particular Castlevania cover song and then the participants will have and opportunity to create and perform their version of the song via real instruments or software.

The Dungeon would then vote on their favorites, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, Place and alternates. (Also similar to Dwelling of Duels.)

1st place will get a sprite award (leftovers from the Sprite contest)

The remaining entries of each month's contest will be available for download each month in a single zip file. (Something DOD does not do, you have to download each file individually.)

Musicians please support my idea so that we get it green-lit!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:55:22 AM »
I can't really compose original stuff worth a damn, so at first glance this proposal's title set me off.

But if it's covers, I'm totally behind it. We've got some damn fine musicians on here, many of which are known for covers. I think it's a good idea.

Perhaps, should this be passed, the contests could center around a particular theme? It'd be easy enough to simply say "do a cover of Wicked Child," but there isn't much challenge in that. I'm thinking something more akin to "take Wicked Child and make it a more driving boss theme rather than a stage theme," or "here's a theme, or musical style, it's up to you to select a song which you feel best represents it, and cover it accordingly."

Requirements like that not only present more variety and challenge, but also give any entering musicians a chance to put their mettle to the test by way of mimicking well-known styles. For example, a contest whose theme is the Baroque music style that one has to convert a boss theme into. That sort of thing. While it's a given that not everyone has access to the same samples, banks, plugins, softwares, etc., and thus there will likely be limitations as to what each person could do, I think adding theme restrictions would serve to really provide a solid challenge to any participants.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 10:02:05 AM »
I can't really compose original stuff worth a damn, so at first glance this proposal's title set me off.

But if it's covers, I'm totally behind it. We've got some damn fine musicians on here, many of which are known for covers. I think it's a good idea.

Perhaps, should this be passed, the contests could center around a particular theme? It'd be easy enough to simply say "do a cover of Wicked Child," but there isn't much challenge in that. I'm thinking something more akin to "take Wicked Child and make it a more driving boss theme rather than a stage theme," or "here's a theme, or musical style, it's up to you to select a song which you feel best represents it, and cover it accordingly."

Requirements like that not only present more variety and challenge, but also give any entering musicians a chance to put their mettle to the test by way of mimicking well-known styles. For example, a contest whose theme is the Baroque music style that one has to convert a boss theme into. That sort of thing. While it's a given that not everyone has access to the same samples, banks, plugins, softwares, etc., and thus there will likely be limitations as to what each person could do, I think adding theme restrictions would serve to really provide a solid challenge to any participants.

Well in this case covering would totally fall in the category of remixing or exactly covering a particular song so I agree with all your points D9!

Each month would be a new song that the Dungeon would vote on and the participants could add any twists on the song or unique ones as they see fit!

Making the requirements mandatory may turn off some inexperienced participants while I believe leaving it opened ended could yield some unique results, however making requirements mandatory could also guarantee original entries only on the Dungeon each month hmmm. I am 50/50 on these ideas...

What do other people think?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:04:51 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 10:24:47 AM »
Well, here. Let me write up a mock contest proposal, to more accurately represent my theme ideas.

CV Dungeon Music Contest - Sega Does What Nintendon't

Contest summary:
Cover an existing Castlevania theme to fit the style of the Sega Genesis.

Contest requirements:
*The song choice is entirely up to the contestant. However, it MUST be a Castlevania tune. Any non-Castlevania songs will not be applicable and therefore disqualified, no matter how good they are.
*The instrumentation does not have to specifically be hard-ripped Genesis samples or a compiled soundbank. However, the sound style of the console must be emulated as well as the individual contestants can manage. Exact Genesis soundbanks or OPMs are not a mandate, but - for example - a contestant using a synth bass that sounds like it could belong on the Genesis is allowed. Sample rips and the like, however, add a certain flavor of accuracy to the song, and would be ideal if the contestants are able to utilize them.
*The main melody of the song must be recognizable. Contestants may add, remove, remix, or otherwise alter their song choices as they see fit, but the finished product must be recognizable as the song it is covering.

Stuff like that.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 03:09:47 PM »
Well, here. Let me write up a mock contest proposal, to more accurately represent my theme ideas.

CV Dungeon Music Contest - Sega Does What Nintendon't

Contest summary:
Cover an existing Castlevania theme to fit the style of the Sega Genesis.

Contest requirements:
*The song choice is entirely up to the contestant. However, it MUST be a Castlevania tune. Any non-Castlevania songs will not be applicable and therefore disqualified, no matter how good they are.
*The instrumentation does not have to specifically be hard-ripped Genesis samples or a compiled soundbank. However, the sound style of the console must be emulated as well as the individual contestants can manage. Exact Genesis soundbanks or OPMs are not a mandate, but - for example - a contestant using a synth bass that sounds like it could belong on the Genesis is allowed. Sample rips and the like, however, add a certain flavor of accuracy to the song, and would be ideal if the contestants are able to utilize them.
*The main melody of the song must be recognizable. Contestants may add, remove, remix, or otherwise alter their song choices as they see fit, but the finished product must be recognizable as the song it is covering.

Stuff like that.

Like the proposal set-up.

What happens if a participant wants to use real instruments instead of a synthesized software or do they always have the option to use both?

The way this example is written sounds to me like you are asking for specifically for the sample to fit the style of a Genesis title...or am I missing something?

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »
Aye, that was the idea.

Naturally it all would depend on the contest theme. I see no cause to exclude physical instruments, though of course some contests would make them a pointless choice. Ultimately it all boils down to whatever the contest is.

That wasn't a proposal, by the way. Just an example of what I'm on about.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 04:33:32 AM »
This seems to be a good idea.
But the theme/s and what-not have to be ironed out first before we start rolling with this additional contest.
If more people are agreeable with this contest, we can start this sometime on the first quarter of next year.

and... I must move this topic to the fan stuff area aka the collection of contest threads.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 07:46:18 AM »
I would love to see a music contest about transforming normal tunes in boss themes :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 08:26:02 AM »
I would love to see a music contest about transforming normal tunes in boss themes :P

Well there we go, seems like D9's idea of specific contest requirements stands up.

On a side note, Warmachine and I have already done something like that for Vamprotector and it's on the OST as well!

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »

That was another idea I'd had, coincidentally.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 09:34:39 AM »
I'm so fucking in.  :)

Offline Zannibal

• Sir Overlod Zannibal
  • Hunter in Training
  • I walk by the moonlit graves, I'm home...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 11:36:51 AM »
Hm, cool idea but...

There's the problem that you can't really compare different genres very well. Like you can't compare paltformer game to RPG. Same kinda goes for music. If majority of people happen to hate metal then those of us who make metal will always fail, or the other way around ;D

The idea of preset genre is kinda cool ("Sega does what Nintedon't", I mean that obviously excludes tons of genres). I mean experimenting with strange genre is always cool and all, but it would give huge advantage for those who are familiar with the genre already. Like if the genre was metal, those of us who have real guitar and bass (and even  drums) already have insanely huge advantage against those who have to rely on VST. It's easy to write close enough music of any genre, but it takes a lot of time and effort to really learn any genre.

I really liked the idea of "turn this into boss music", tho. Even tho even that one has some advantages; for example it's easier to make adrenaline pumping boss music with metal than with acoustic guitar and a flute ;D

The most "fair" contest would be that everyone are given a midi file and a big sound library and then we just try out who comes up with the best mix.

Having a music contest is very difficult thing really. But I'll definitely take part if you come up with something.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »
Hm, cool idea but...

There's the problem that you can't really compare different genres very well. Like you can't compare paltformer game to RPG. Same kinda goes for music. If majority of people happen to hate metal then those of us who make metal will always fail, or the other way around ;D

The idea of preset genre is kinda cool ("Sega does what Nintedon't", I mean that obviously excludes tons of genres). I mean experimenting with strange genre is always cool and all, but it would give huge advantage for those who are familiar with the genre already. Like if the genre was metal, those of us who have real guitar and bass (and even  drums) already have insanely huge advantage against those who have to rely on VST. It's easy to write close enough music of any genre, but it takes a lot of time and effort to really learn any genre.

I really liked the idea of "turn this into boss music", tho. Even tho even that one has some advantages; for example it's easier to make adrenaline pumping boss music with metal than with acoustic guitar and a flute ;D

The most "fair" contest would be that everyone are given a midi file and a big sound library and then we just try out who comes up with the best mix.

Having a music contest is very difficult thing really. But I'll definitely take part if you come up with something.

Well, we could add another prerequisite for the contests by making certain months different genre's but i wasn't thinking about going so in-depth.

I also didn't want to alienate anybody, in my opinion I think the free-for-all ensures the most variety for entries.

What do you guys think?

Also let's get the idea for the 1st contest next month, grading and all that, I would say let's just keep it similar to how we are doing the other contests!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:56:56 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »
Theme > Genre.

You should be able to review a track without taking into account the genre, but to see if the person respected the theme of the competition.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 10:56:23 PM »
Good. More people seem interested in this.

I prefer to start this contest on January (new year, new contest in addition to the older ones) so that we have the entire month of December to polish out the rules, judging, etc. and choose the appropriate winning trophies (unless you want the same shiny golden bat).

Tags: