Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (1999 Fan Project)  (Read 448360 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania: Umbra of Sorrow (Fan Project)
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »
You should go ahead and sprites some maps for this basically treating this as a fan-game even though no actual programming has taken place yet.

That would be a good start.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2015, 08:24:57 PM »
*coughs inconspicuously*

Just imagine. This becomes a game and we already know it'd be stellar.

Talk about one-upping Ericard in the best possible way.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 09:11:36 PM »
You should go ahead and sprites some maps for this basically treating this as a fan-game even though no actual programming has taken place yet.

That would be a good start.

The main narrative and feel was entirely designed with a game in mind, and how these things would work as a game. What I'm doing now is the Plan B. I'm rewritting everything in story format and adjusting all problems.

*coughs inconspicuously*

Just imagine. This becomes a game and we already know it'd be stellar.

Talk about one-upping Ericard in the best possible way.

I'm dying to fill you guys in many details, but I can't. You must know how incredibly frustrating it is to have an idea on your mind and not be able to transfer the "scenes" you envision into other people's heads.

If I get to make this into a full-fledged game, the best team I could ask for can only be found here.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2015, 10:09:53 PM »
1. Find the correct CVD team
2. Create a small demo
3. Contact Konami and Kickstart the project
4. Create the game
5. ??
6. Profit

;D

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2015, 07:45:19 AM »
2. Create a small demo
4. Create the game
5. ??
6. Profit

;D

Konami would probably shut it down, but it is weird how they will leave some projects alone and issue cease and desist orders for others. Kickstarter would most likely shut it down as it would be a copyright concern. Though, you never know. Capcom DID publish the fan made SF X MegaMan game.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2015, 09:45:04 AM »
Capcom DID publish the fan made SF X MegaMan game

The game I'm still unable to play on my machine, lol.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2015, 10:33:00 AM »
2. Create a small demo
4. Create the game
5. ??
6. Profit

;D

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2015, 10:49:23 AM »
Capcom's much better at being cool to their fans than Konami.

>inb4 but what about legends 3 that means they hate us raaaaaaaaaaaaage

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2015, 11:18:23 AM »
Capcom's much better at being cool to their fans than Konami.

>inb4 but what about legends 3 that means they hate us raaaaaaaaaaaaage

Let's not forget what they also did to Dante and Vergil for DMC. Yes, Capcom hates it's loyalists. They are too concerned with putting out whatever iteration of Street Fighter they are on or capitalizing on the mediocre success of the Resident Evil Movie franchise by releasing sub-par titles since Resident Evil 2.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 11:51:17 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2015, 06:43:11 PM »

Konami would probably shut it down, but it is weird how they will leave some projects alone and issue cease and desist orders for others. Kickstarter would most likely shut it down as it would be a copyright concern. Though, you never know. Capcom DID publish the fan made SF X MegaMan game.

That's also what I think.

Even though I never saw Konami have an issue with a Castlevania project, I also think that they would never endorse it in any way. Would never publish or even recognize its existence. I have zero hopes for this even reaching Konami's ears.

Anyway, about the project itself: Right now, I'm building a timeline to make it easier for everyone to see where I'm going with the story. This timeline will show what interesting bits I'm taking out of the games/official media themselves to build the story of 1999, and I'm also adding things I have created/interpreted to fill in the holes of the plots. Soon I'll post it over here so you people can scrutinize and tell your minds about it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 06:45:55 PM by theplottwist »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2015, 07:34:38 PM »
Every RE movie sucked, let's not be generous.

It's very easy to blame the corporation as a whole, isn't it? Because, after all, the execs are the ones responsible for writing and designing DmC and every Capcom employee wakes up in the morning asking themselves how to best shaft their fanbase that day.

Oh, but let's not forget the time Capcom took a fan project and made it official. Street Fighter X Megaman isn't a solid and popular title, after all. Or the time they'd given their blessings to ACE_Spark for his Christmas Carol games. Or the time ACE and I made a PSA about three music labels working under Capcom illegally overstepping their bounds and issuing takedowns of Megaman content on Youtube, showed it to and got others to bring it to Capcom's attention, and appear to have gotten the labels to stop (flagged videos losing their flag status and becoming public again were mentioned many times). Or how they totally issue C&Ds on fan projects using their content like Square-Enix does. Boy, it sure is a good thing that piece of garbage Chrono Trigger: Resurrection got shut down, right? Who knows what would have happened if that trash got finished, right?

But as we all know, it doesn't matter whether or not you support your fans' endeavors if you don't cater to every single whim they have. If you don't give them exactly what they want exactly when they want it, take no risks whatsoever with reboots or reinventions out of fear of fan aggravation, and pay no heed whatsoever to economic conditions and the financial feasibility of what you put out, then you're a shit company who hates its fanbase, right?

Oh. Wait.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2015, 08:03:20 PM »
Even though I never saw Konami have an issue with a Castlevania project

Shortly after I stopped working Cv Bloodletting Konami issued a cease and desist order. I had lost my files in a hard drive crash, and they didnt act terribly fast, but they issued the order nonetheless.

I always wondered if it was just because the name was based on one of their official titles.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2015, 08:17:51 PM »
Shortly after I stopped working Cv Bloodletting Konami issued a cease and desist order. I had lost my files in a hard drive crash, and they didnt act terribly fast, but they issued the order nonetheless.

I always wondered if it was just because the name was based on one of their official titles.

That's... Useful to know... And kinda sad too. I wonder how far can I go with this before they kick the crap out of me :P

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2015, 08:28:12 PM »
Every RE movie sucked, let's not be generous.

It's very easy to blame the corporation as a whole, isn't it? Because, after all, the execs are the ones responsible for writing and designing DmC and every Capcom employee wakes up in the morning asking themselves how to best shaft their fanbase that day.

Oh, but let's not forget the time Capcom took a fan project and made it official. Street Fighter X Megaman isn't a solid and popular title, after all. Or the time they'd given their blessings to ACE_Spark for his Christmas Carol games. Or the time ACE and I made a PSA about three music labels working under Capcom illegally overstepping their bounds and issuing takedowns of Megaman content on Youtube, showed it to and got others to bring it to Capcom's attention, and appear to have gotten the labels to stop (flagged videos losing their flag status and becoming public again were mentioned many times). Or how they totally issue C&Ds on fan projects using their content like Square-Enix does. Boy, it sure is a good thing that piece of garbage Chrono Trigger: Resurrection got shut down, right? Who knows what would have happened if that trash got finished, right?

But as we all know, it doesn't matter whether or not you support your fans' endeavors if you don't cater to every single whim they have. If you don't give them exactly what they want exactly when they want it, take no risks whatsoever with reboots or reinventions out of fear of fan aggravation, and pay no heed whatsoever to economic conditions and the financial feasibility of what you put out, then you're a shit company who hates its fanbase, right?

Oh. Wait.

I actually enjoyed the Resident Evil Apocalypse.

And of course the execs aren't the ones directly writing or directing any of the Capcom titles, but they sure are the ones issuing the orders from down top on these million dollar money making ideas that in reality are a crapfest and stiffing creativity as a whole.

And about reboots and reinventions let's not talk about Lords of Shadow shall we?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:31:44 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2015, 08:30:33 PM »
It took them about 2 years to issue the order for me. I guess it just depends on how far your project reaches the internet. I released 3 betas, and that's when it happened. I would say if you wish to pursue a game, don't get too giving with the downloadables until you are ready to distribute and they'll probably leave you alone.

It's a fine line to walk. They may leave you alone entirely. But based upon your sprites and their high quality, I'm sure the game would rival official material quality. I don't want to sound discouraging because I would love to see more of your work in action.

Tags: 1999 Awes 

anything