Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Rondo of Blood on the 3DS?  (Read 26701 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2011, 01:59:35 PM »
You're bound to get hit once in a while unless you've memorized every enemies attack pattern. btw, when you say that, does that occur for just the remake or both remake and original?
The mapping applies for both remake and Original, unfortunately, SoTN hates the analog pads.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Not even the legend of Belmont can withstand time
    • Awards
Re: Rondo of Blood on the 3DS?
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 02:01:44 PM »
Nope. mostly...
The ability to change direction mid jump is a biggy, but the Recoil of being damaged is the Huge part why IV was better, while Rondo Bumps you off a cliff, IV Just bumps you vertically making a huge difference on Death Ratios. All Eight Whipping would have been nice and Crouch walking was upgraded to Slide in later games.

Rondo is a Good Game, but a bit unworthy to succeed IV, gameplay-wise.
The Stage Select, Animated Cutscenes! (ironically MIA in all other 2d Vanias After), and Charcter Change were the better parts.
Well, I actually just ran a few levels on rondo of blood just because we were talking about it xD I do see where you're coming from; rondo of blood can have its share of cheap shot deaths from being knocked off. Guessing since you do prefer being able to change direction mid jump possibly means you became a fan from one of the castlevania games that does this (probably SCIV). For those of us who started with the classics or Rondo of blood, stiff jumping is something we're use to. Just to rephrase what you had said earlier, "Rondo of Blood is a good game, just SCIV's game mechanics in my opinion are better". Your initial statement was that "Rondo of Blood was terrible in comparison" (rephrased it a little). However Rondo of blood has its own little quirks that make it stand on an equal ground as a whole, least from how I see it.

Point here is Rondo of blood has its own ways to shine, and there's no hurting in it being ported to the 3DS for those who never got to play the game on another system. Super Castlevania IV will have its time at some point, and though I have no plans to get the 3DS I still think it would be a good idea that both games could get ported as both are good games in their own rights.

also...
btw, when you say that, does that occur for just the remake or both remake and original?
Even though I just played it on my psp now, I still didn't notice any blurs. hmm...

Offline Deko21

• Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Vampire Hunter
  • The world is corrupt
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2011, 02:08:35 PM »
The mapping applies for both remake and Original, unfortunately, SoTN hates the analog pads.
Ah. I never knew that since i never bothered changing the default config. Except on SotN where it has its own config.

Btw, i might be wrong, but in RoB, you can maneuver your jumps in midair, albit your jumping speed slows down as you turn. Also you can prevent yourself from being thrown off the edge by crouching down. It helps especially on the part on the boat part where a bunch of mermen leap out of the water. That's probably one thing SCV IV doesn't have. Not to mention it increases your chances of survival if you can use it properly.
"I may not be able to use the whip, but i can still kick your ass!" -Jonathan Morris

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2011, 02:19:55 PM »

Btw, i might be wrong, but in RoB, you can maneuver your jumps in midair, albit your jumping speed slows down as you turn. Also you can prevent yourself from being thrown off the edge by crouching down. It helps especially on the part on the boat part where a bunch of mermen leap out of the water. That's probably one thing SCV IV doesn't have. Not to mention it increases your chances of survival if you can use it properly.
That is correct, the mid air jumping isn't as stiff as in the original NES castlevania; the jump can be altered a bit depending on how far you jumped. The crouching down does work sometimes for taking hits without knockback, just depends on how and where the enemy hits you. It'll come down to the player's skill and memorization of enemy patterns, but that statement can be used for almost any game.

Offline bariant

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2011, 03:00:16 PM »
If you keep the jump button pressed in rondo, you can change your direction at any point during the jump.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »
Nope. mostly...
The ability to change direction mid jump is a biggy, but the Recoil of being damaged is the Huge part why IV was better, while Rondo Bumps you off a cliff, IV Just bumps you vertically making a huge difference on Death Ratios. All Eight Whipping would have been nice and Crouch walking was upgraded to Slide in later games.

Again, strategy. It's like level 3 in the original NES game, you can't just run and jump and breeze through the level without stopping, you have to actually stop and wait, time your jumps and whip hits right, and it's a very strategic way of playing. I find that to be more fun than constantly going with no worry of nothing knocking you into a pit. And whining about the back-throw when getting hit and dying in pits... Come on, man, where's your sense of classic gaming? :\
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2011, 04:03:56 PM »
SCV4 is too easy to be a classicvania.

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »
Again, strategy. It's like level 3 in the original NES game, you can't just run and jump and breeze through the level without stopping, you have to actually stop and wait, time your jumps and whip hits right, and it's a very strategic way of playing. I find that to be more fun than constantly going with no worry of nothing knocking you into a pit. And whining about the back-throw when getting hit and dying in pits... Come on, man, where's your sense of classic gaming? :\
Like I mentioned earlier, it depends on where you started as a gamer. For him, the way SCIV handles is the way he prefers it, and the future 2d castlevanias eventually picked up a few mechanics from this game and polished it further (which shows that some of the concepts were popular). Although SCIV and Rondo of blood were some of the last 2D castlevania games with instant death mechanics. For us who started from/prefer the harshness of being knocked back (even to the point of it being cheap), we see it as little a problem.

I can say that the knockback isn't exactly something anyone can use to say that the game is inferior to another, its more something to get use to. Also the fact remains that not everyone will be as receptive to dealing with knockback and falling to their death after working hard not to die from damage alone. Just gotta get use to it is all.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2011, 04:39:11 PM »
I started with IV though. :p Well, aside from a short bit of II when my brother's friend brought it over. I didn't really play any more games in the series until Symphony of the Night came out; it was then that I got really into the series and started backtracking and playing the older ones. I just really like the feel of those older-styled games. 'Course, I love IV's "refined" controls as well. And SOTN's floatiness. I just love all those older games—it's too bad none of the Metroidvanias have come anywhere close to being as good as SOTN.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2011, 05:18:56 PM »
oh I love the classics, I have 1 on 3rd playthrough and 3 on second.
But the Classics are supposed to be stiff it fits to the 8-bit era

Rondo's major flaw was the control on richter beeing too stiff, at times I felt like the NES games were more smooth.
This is probably why the stiff Controls Died with Rondo too as Bloodlines delivered Smooth controls and also one of the most Badass CV titles out there.
Oh and this is also why most people just switch to maria, since she was more smooth and she could dodge everything.

But Like I said, the gameplay isn't what made Rondo, its the stuff that wasn't in all the others, like Stage select, Character Select, Animated Cutscenes and Instrumented Music.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2011, 05:27:49 PM »
The NES games' controls aren't "stiff" due to some limitation. If that were the case, the Super Mario Bros. and Ninja Gaiden games would all have stiff controls. It's a design choice, not a restriction or clunky ineptitude on the developers' end.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »
The NES games' controls aren't "stiff" due to some limitation. If that were the case, the Super Mario Bros. and Ninja Gaiden games would all have stiff controls. It's a design choice, not a restriction or clunky ineptitude on the developers' end.

*Slaps Forehead* If its all by choice, explain Simon's quest, was that fundimentally flawed by choice?

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2011, 05:52:39 PM »
My point was that saying a game has stiff controls because of an 8-bit limitation is bullshit.

And yes, the game controls are stiff by choice. Just open your eyes to the way that the first game is designed: it's very obvious by the level designs and enemy move patterns that the controls are the way they are for a reason. Castlevania plays the way it does just as Contra plays the way it does; swap the controls in both games but keep everything else the same and you have broken games.

Your mention of Simon's Quest doesn't really have a place in this discussion because we're talking game controls. SQ is in many ways experimental, and I guess one could say flawed, though I personally adore it. Compared to the first game, yeah, the level designs are lazy, the strategy is missing, and the controls aren't custom-fit for the game, it just takes the way the first game controls and slaps it in bizarre levels. But again, we're talking controoooools, and it's obvious by the way that Castlevania I, III, and Rondo are designed that these controls are intentional.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Kusanagi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2011, 06:02:02 PM »
I hold Rondo of blood in higher regard as that was the first Castlevania game I finished xD (well, technically DXC, but funny enough I found the original easier than the remake). I watched one LP of Rondo of blood, then I remembered I had DXC and decided to give it a shot. Never regretted it since xD To be fair, I only played a bit of SCIV, which I really need to get around to playing through (that, Bloodlines, and especially the classics 1 - 3). Call me bias on defending Rondo of blood xD Out of preference I always use Richter, since I once heard Maria was broken as a game character (though her taking more damage balanced that out to an extent).

Either way, I respect all of the games and still can't wait to try out the others (SCIV will be next on my list). Though the 3D games are not really my cup of tea.

Offline Pemburu Vampir

• Nameless
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I can speak Engrish fluently.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2011, 06:13:07 PM »
My point was that saying a game has stiff controls because of an 8-bit limitation is bullshit.

And yes, the game controls are stiff by choice. Just open your eyes to the way that the first game is designed: it's very obvious by the level designs and enemy move patterns that the controls are the way they are for a reason. Castlevania plays the way it does just as Contra plays the way it does; swap the controls in both games but keep everything else the same and you have broken games.
 we're talking controoooools, and it's obvious by the way that Castlevania I, III, and Rondo are designed that these controls are intentional.

This is true.

Give Richter in RoB or Trevor in CV3 a 8 way whip and a controlable jump and you'll get a broken game.

Tags: