Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 145841 times)

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »
why does every1 think iga will automatically make metrovania-style games

what if his new studio will now focus on his true passion, the puzzle genre

Leedmees Gameplay

Because he says that he wants to make a game that appeals to his fans.

And lord knows his fans all want another IGA directed Metroidvania game, Castlevania or not.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2014, 03:23:01 PM »
we want leedmees, Kingshanghai

leedmees

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2014, 03:25:29 PM »
+3
Good for IGA, the total lack of respect from Konami was unwarranted given all he has done for them.  Now if only Konami would just kill off the series entirely instead of continuing to sour this once proud franchise these abominations aimed at casuals.

I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2014, 03:26:34 PM »
RIP IGA-Sama. We will NEVER forget u...

Seriously though, I wish him well. Maybe we'll see a renaissance of the Metroidvanias, even if they can no longer be called Castlevania. XD

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Charlotte-nyo:3

• Bloodstained is our hope
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2014, 03:28:08 PM »
I don't think it would reach MN9 heights, but if IGA did a kickstarter by the end of the week I'd say he'd get a pretty penny. I mean, Yamane is now freelance and both of them are on good terms with Ayami Kojima, so conceivably he can get that 'gang' back together.

I also wonder if some of the other Konami people have also left in the past five years as well, like Curry the Kid, KO-G, and Soshiro Hokkai. The team behind SotN and HoD seemed to have disappeared from the map after 2002. I ask because IGA seems pretty confident he has the actual resources to create a studio, and studios beyond the ZONE and Pixel type tend  to have more than one person.

If anyone still has contacts with those people, it'd probably be IGA, so let's hope he can get some of the old team members together for his new studio. 2D artists are especially valuable in this day and age.

Offline Viskod

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2014, 03:31:09 PM »
Konami choosing profit over fans? How do you have profit in this industry without fans? Or do the people who buy games you don't like not count as fans?

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2014, 03:55:06 PM »
+1
Konami choosing profit over fans? How do you have profit in this industry without fans? Or do the people who buy games you don't like not count as fans?
Well obviously the fans weren't pulling through or we'd be on Metroidvania 35 by now. IGA's pitch wasn't chosen over Mercurysteam's, and that says something about how Konami saw the reception to IGA's latest projects. Especially Judgement. That i think- is what really drove the nail into IGA's CV coffin.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2014, 04:06:47 PM »
Lords was already in development before Judgment was released. Plus Adventure ReBirth and Hodespair came out long after Judgment.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2014, 04:09:42 PM »
Lords was already in development before Judgment was released. Plus Adventure ReBirth and Hodespair came out long after Judgment.

Well SOMETHING prompted Konami to give MS the torch. That I know, Japanese studios are not exactly that likely to do that for no reason unless they are Capcom.

Maybe it's just coincidence, who knows.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
+2
Well obviously the fans weren't pulling through or we'd be on Metroidvania 35 by now. IGA's pitch wasn't chosen over Mercurysteam's, and that says something about how Konami saw the reception to IGA's latest projects. Especially Judgement. That i think- is what really drove the nail into IGA's CV coffin.

either that, or konami, like most once-great game companies nowadays, are totally out-of-touch with their fanbase

Offline derision

• It's dangerous to go alone. I'm robbing you.
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2014, 04:12:05 PM »
+2
Wow that's big news.
I'm not sure how I feel about it.I understand why he had to leave, and I'm happy that he decided to create his own studio.But at the same time I'm kinda sad because that means he won't ever work on Castlevania again.
One thing is for sure, I blame Konami for this. The way they decided to handle the series is the worst that could happen to Metroidvania fans. I guess that all IGA haters are rejoicing now. Have fun with your fancy Belmont Dracula and rat stealth.

"People like who liked the LoS games MUST be 'IGA haters!' it's the only explanation!"

The fact that posts like this pop up often, and are supported for that matter, speaks volumes about how toxic the CV community is. Maybe the Castlevania series should just die.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »
+3
Let me know when the Undead Whipper 1999 kickstarter launches.

Offline machetespeghetti

• Hunter in Training
  • Maria?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2014, 04:30:29 PM »
+2
I want a linear 2d sidescroller castlevania game that goes on forever. Then the battle will last for eternity!
hmmmm ........... I wonder whats for dinner?

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2014, 04:48:44 PM »
Obviously fans of LoS didn't pull through either, or LoS2 wouldn't done better. I always have a problem with this kind of thing. It's like that guy from Square Enix who said they'd only THINK about a sequel to the Chrono series if Chrono Trigger DS sells well(which it didn't, so it's the FANS fault we aren't getting a third game). LOL!

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2014, 04:52:24 PM »

You aim for a different audience. Isn't this what the reboot was about. To get that God of War audience?

Tags: