Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What manga have you been reading?  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: April 26, 2011, 08:58:58 AM »
Consider this the sister topic to the "what anime have you been watching"

I recently read through Ludwig Revolution.

VERY good manga. Really recommend it. It is about a crazy prince who's father has kicked him out till he finds a bride. So he goes around looking for one, and encounters fairy tale princesses from the brothers Grimm stories, and re imagines them with dark twists.

Cant really be explained without wall o'text-ing. check it.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 11:11:43 AM »
I'm currently going through 'City Hunter' which is hella hilarious to read, and also its alternate universe sequel; 'Angel Heart'. Just as funny but also heavy on the other emotions too. I recommend these two to read even if they are still being translated.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 11:22:47 AM »
Ugh, City Hunter and Angel Heart... while I like it's premise... I can't get into it at all.

The recent stuff...

Kimi no Iru Machi
Noblesse
Kenji
Eden no Ori
Psyren
Mahou Sensei Negima
Beelzebub
Nurarihyon no Mago
The World God Only Knows
Half Prince
Kimi ni Todoke
Id
Iris Zero

The Breaker
Full Metal Panic Sigma
Rosario + Vampire
Kodomo no Jikan
Dance in the Vampire Bund

Triple Kiss

Some of which i've finished and some of which I'm incredibly annoyed at, like the Breaker... so many annoying characters... but the action is good.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 05:21:35 PM »
Print... is dead.

Sorry couldnt resist =D

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:48:14 AM »
I would just like to express my extreme distaste for digest-sized manga trade paperbacks. I understand it's far more economical and it would be difficult to publish a lot of these really long series in larger books, but I just hate how tiny the artwork is printed. I'd much prefer regular comic-size collections.

THAT SAID, I don't really read manga. Partially because I hate the printing format, but mostly just because there's never been much to catch my eye. I bought and enjoyed all of Hellsing, though, and hope the future (prequel?) volumes get published here. My brother's also been collecting Berserk, and that looks insanely cool from the little I've flipped through it, so I'd like to get through that someday.

I also bought a Mega Man manga collection. Haven't read it, but the art looks amazing. (It's the series from the early 2000s or something, not the '80s series.) And, I bought and sortofkindof enjoyed the first Vampire Hunter D manga volume. I haven't gotten any more because I still haven't read beyond the first book, so I'd hate to "spoil" the books by reading and looking at watered down versions of those. The first manga volume is kind of wonky...kind of a weak adaptation. Yet there's something about it I kind of enjoyed and would like to collect the further volumes eventually.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 10:52:15 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 10:43:59 PM »
Considering we all like Castlevania to atleast a certain extent... I would like to point out the Noblesse in my list, very good vampire web comic.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 04:40:51 AM »

I also bought a Mega Man manga collection. Haven't read it, but the art looks amazing. (It's the series from the early 2000s or something, not the '80s series.)
The Dreamwave comic? Because Megamix i pretty recent still, and there arent any other Megaman mangas licensed here yet...
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 01:18:43 PM »
Megamix by Hitoshi Ariga, which was originally published in the late '90s. :o Super cool art, just gotta get to reading it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 12:25:07 AM »
My brother's also been collecting Berserk, and that looks insanely cool from the little I've flipped through it, so I'd like to get through that someday.

Oh hell yes. I wouldn't say I'm a huge manga fan, but Berserk is awesome.

I haven't read any manga (or watched anime, for that matter) for quite a while, but I wouldn't mind picking up where I left off with Fist of the North Star. I'd kinda like to check out Devilman, one of these days, too. Other than that, I'd have no clue what else to read.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline darkjak951

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Re: What manga have you been reading?
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »
Gantz.....lots and lots of Gantz.....
Like giant robots? Join up if your interested:
http://www.amecha.co.uk/forum/index.php
My username on it is Gelboob794

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »
Gantz.....lots and lots of Gantz.....

I liked the beginning, but I quit a bit after I found out Lara Croft wasn't going to come back. Lame sauce.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 11:07:48 PM »
I just found out earlier today that the Old Boy manga has been translated to English and released here.

I know what I'm buying soon.

Also, I wish Riki-Oh would get a proper release. Was reading some fan translation a while ago but never got very far, and then the site got shut down.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline paulstanley

• Prince of Hearts
  • Hunter in Training
  • Love isn't sorrow and pain
    • Awards
Re: What manga have you been reading?
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 03:49:18 AM »
Riki-Oh is up on Mangafox. That's where I read it.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 08:57:20 AM »
Y'all should read Parasyte if you get the chance. GREAT stuff.

Aside from that, the Hokuto no Ken Manga, Change 123 (cut short lamentably ;_; ), and of course the Pluto manga. AWESOME stuff. Oh, and Berserk! Can't forget Berserk 8)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Tags:

anything