Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: King Diamond  (Read 9400 times)

Offline Wallachia

• hath risen
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« on: July 03, 2011, 12:49:05 AM »
VWho here listens to King? What's  your favorite album/story? I've been a long time fan. Mine is probably Abigail. Charon is probably my favorite song tho.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=EFIuoRyC7Cc

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 12:58:11 AM by Wallachia »

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 08:59:27 AM »
I've never liked his music too much, even though I know he is an important figure in heavy metal. I just can't stand his vocals. Even though I usually love high vocals, like Rob Halford's or Brian Johnson's, Diamond's manner of singing is going too far, it's just too screeching and annoying IMO.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Juno106

Re: King Diamond
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:18:16 PM »
Oh please..

I bought Mercyful Fate's Don't Break the Oath even before getting my NES.
The last album I remember hearing was Conspiracy. I thought it had fairly OK tunes though.

None of my friends liked him
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 08:20:17 PM by Juno106 »

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 08:31:51 PM »
I liked metal back when it wasn't all screaming ear-rape.

...Wait, what?

Nah, I'm kidding. I listen to groups like In Flames, Atreyu and Trivium (and their rock-ish branch Roadrunner United). They're all pretty fierce screaming groups.

This guy, though? Well, look at the last word + last hyphenated word in the top line. I didn't like this one at all.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 11:52:03 PM »
The only song I have of his is Mercyful Fate's A Dangerous Meeting. Not too bad. I never really got into him any further than that, though.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 01:58:56 AM »
While I enjoy Judas Priest and other high-flying operatic metal bands, I could never really get into King Diamond all that much. That said, this song and video is in equal parts both awesome(guitarwork and songwriting) and hilarious(content and video). GRAAAAAANDMAAAA!

King Diamond - Welcome Home
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 02:27:51 AM »
I like high-pitched vocals but his voice annoys me.

GRAAAANDMAAAAA!

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »

This should be served with a surgeon general warning: Will melt your face off.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 01:45:23 PM by Slayer »
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Wallachia

• hath risen
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 12:13:56 AM »
Haha, nice one Slayer :))

Cool opinions people. King def. is an aquired taste. I find myself having binges every few months. I love how imaginitive and bold his stories are. If you have the patience, read along as you listen to Abigail, or Them and others. Pretty twisted ghost/undead stories, asnt he singing style fits the moments or what's happening in the chapter of the given story. One album is about the medieval witch trials and the priests raping the nuns, pretty heavy stuff, and not done in a glamourizing way or anything, from The Eye:

King Diamond- Burn

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better" - Albert Einstein

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 04:52:22 AM »
I liked metal back when it wasn't all screaming ear-rape.

...Wait, what?

Nah, I'm kidding. I listen to groups like In Flames, Atreyu and Trivium (and their rock-ish branch Roadrunner United). They're all pretty fierce screaming groups.

This guy, though? Well, look at the last word + last hyphenated word in the top line. I didn't like this one at all.

Err, I think you've got things a bit confused. Though I can't say with In Flames, Atreyu and Trivium definitely rape the ears. Diamond, however (well, of the Mercyful Fate stuff I've heard), is awesome.

But seriously... Knocking King Diamond but admitting a love for Atreyu and Trivium... I cannot express how baffled I am. That's like saying The Stooges are awful but Green Day totally kicks ass—and that's really not a far-off comparison.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 05:04:45 AM »
But seriously... Knocking King Diamond but admitting a love for Atreyu and Trivium... I cannot express how baffled I am. That's like saying The Stooges are awful but Green Day totally kicks ass—and that's really not a far-off comparison.

Uh... Yeah. That's a pretty far-off comparison.

I compared King Diamond with Atreyu and Trivium. You compared the Stooges with Green Day. (Are we thinking of the same stooges?)

Atreyu's screamer doesn't use a high screaming voice, nor a stupidly low one (like the generic metal bands). Trivium, while their scream can get annoying, their choruses rock, and sound awesome.

King Diamond on the other hand...

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 05:34:15 AM »
nor a stupidly low one (like the generic metal bands)

Wait. So are you saying all death metal is generic? :p
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 05:36:26 AM »
Wait. So are you saying all death metal is generic? :p

Well...

Wait. How many different types of metal are there? Jeez.
Metal
Death Metal
Speed Metal
Gothic Metal
Go on...

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 06:20:36 AM »
power metal
thrash metal
industrial metal
doom metal
neoclassical metal
melodic metal
symphonic metal
classical metal
power symphonic metal

I can't remember anything else right now......
Ruler of Chaos

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 09:59:12 AM »
I'm not really into metal, but I just read through the lyrics to Abigail.  Pretty inventive stuff.  I wish more bands did this, but so many "albums" are just collections of unrelated songs.  You gotta respect an artist that can put a concept album together.  (Unless it's Green Day.  No need to respect them.)

I remember hearing about King Diamond when I was a kid.  Didn't he sing from an altar built of skulls in his concerts, or something like that?

Tags:

anything