Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Liking things from Lords of Shadows?!  (Read 9489 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: Liking things from Lords of Shadows?!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 01:06:35 PM »
-Zobek Death was neat I guess. Not particularly interesting as a fight because lol MINION SUMMON GANK cliche but at least the design was neat. Also why is Zobek the only Lord who gets to keep his voice when he transforms? We ever gonna get a fuckin' answer on that? It's been driving me nuts for ages.
Patrick Stewart.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I shall give you the answer along with your death!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 03:27:06 PM »
Actually on a more serious note

-I ain't in the "dislike most but still like a few" in regards to 1. I overall enjoyed and like 1.

-MoF IMO is just stupid. Looks pretty but that's about it and even that's a stretch at times (LOL CELSHADED BRIGHTASS CUTSCENES WHY NOT).

Now as for things I liked, either genuinely or somewhat ironically. Should be able to tell which.

-2 has Carmilla's glorious bust and I have no shame in admitting I enjoyed it. The implication is that the castle consciousness or whatever gave her her original form because her vampire form couldn't seduce Gabe the first time, and that's the only sensible reason I can think of as to why she's suddenly human again. So since the actual plot intent was sex appeal and seduction, I have N O S H A M E. Carmilla in general I liked a bit (partly yes because she's damn hot), though the seduction aspect doesn't really work when you're literally just a mental figment and can't actually offer anything substantial.

-Death by blowjob symbolism? Totally stupid and nonsensical but damn if I won't give 2 points for that ballsy shamelessness and continuation of the tease.

-2 has Marie actually taking a somewhat more active role than in 1, and I like this. Doesn't change that she still stays a damsel in distress a few times, but at least the Carmilla fight takes an interesting approach of "yes, I'm a born-again Heaven Human that can't really help you much here because I can't fight, but I can offer you my body and my blood so that you may be healed and strengthened to destroy this great foe." I mean Marie is basically a Jesus redemption allegory in that respect.

-I liked Nergal, oddly enough. Reminded me a lot of how I always pictured Olrox to be personality-wise. Can't say much else for him though.

-Gabula mic-dropping the Paladin by doing the same freestyle rap only better. 10/10 scene.

-The triumphant return of Japan's favorite metal cylinder portable ashtray that all the cool videogame smokers use! (these things are actually p. handy for that but they're shoddily made and fall apart easily)

-Zobek Death was neat I guess. Not particularly interesting as a fight because lol MINION SUMMON GANK cliche but at least the design was neat. Also why is Zobek the only Lord who gets to keep his voice when he transforms? We ever gonna get a fuckin' answer on that? It's been driving me nuts for ages.

-I liked the modern aspect of 2, at least in concept. Its execution was shit because of little things like how the fuck is a dude that's been asleep/away for a thousand years gonna know what the term "pharmaceutical company" means without any explanation given, but at least it tried.

-Oh man remember those punching weapons ripped straight from Devil May Cry and God of War? Those were awesome!

So you only spoke for MoF and LoS2, good. Because if you liked LoS1, that would defeat the purpose of this thread. Thanks for the actually genuine answer.
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Offline Gaawa-chan

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 09:26:44 AM »
Voice acting.  Some good art direction.  Some good songs.  I can't stand the LoS series.

Offline gallandryal

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 09:54:59 AM »
Honestly, the only thing i liked is the character's design and art diretion in general. Those games are more plot focused, but the atmosphere was off in a way. Dunno, it didn't feel like Castlevania, LOS could be any other random adventure game. The reboot i wanted was a serie of games with good gameplay and graphics, consolidating all the classic timeline in a cohesive fleshed out story, that probably the castlevania's tv show will do it, insted of Lord of Shadows.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 10:35:24 AM »
I liked the fact that you play as a Belmont again  is one of it greatest  selling points. as I really feel that if IGA had  used a Belmont in his new 3d trailer, instead of Alucard  he would have kept CV.

As when I saw it I was like wow a what's this, then  I saw Alucard.   I groaned and rolled my eyes, yet again another try to get the same magic SoTN had. just a cash grab.
and yet then we  Mercury Steam, they showed us a cool holy knight, finally A Belmont is back, the guys  that made CV what it is.
and I feel that's why  MS got CV, and really some of this is on  IGAs shoulders.

As no one can say that IGA did not save Cv, as it was going under and he brought back to life.

but he never evolved the game play, it just got more and more far removed from what CV was.
 And I feel not using the Belmont's in favour of item collecting was just a really lazy way of doing things. there's so much you could do with the whip. And the worst part was that MS really dropped the ball in a lot of places.

But nuff of that. and yes robert carlyle was fantasic in it, as well as Patrick Stewart . and the gameplay of LOs1 was  really well done, it made you feel like you were on an epic quest. It was a shame that there was no real Vampire Killer and that he became Dracula. But all and all a great game.
Last son of family Belmont.

https://thebelmonthold.home.blog/

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 06:17:18 PM »
The graphics. And Carmilla's sexy bode  8)

Nothing else in that series is relevant to me.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 07:12:30 PM »
The graphics. And Carmilla's sexy bode  8)

Nothing else in that series is relevant to me.
No I know what you mean, I feel that LoS1 was like a great side story but it should never had been pushed as the new look For CV. and its sad. they should have gone with  Platinum Games fail that  Team Ninja. keep in japan, Only few western developers, could handle a full reboot  of CV and  Mercury Steam was just not up to the task. I mean when you look at CV it is that great Japanese idea of the west, and gothic architecture. it something that really only japan can do.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 08:41:16 PM »
I liked the overall character design and characterisation of Gabriel in the first LOS. I think it worked and suited "Castlevania", even if you were to minus the deceased wife aspect - which was basically plot-fodder for commencing and concluding your quest. (Unfortunately the overall world itself didn't work as well as Gabriel did.) The whole Gabriel became Dracula hook i.e. the end of his characterisation didn't really work for me, I mean I think the concept was cool and would've worked better as an alternate ending/ spin-off series, but not as the main story.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:46:14 PM by zangetsu468 »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »
There are a LOT of things I disliked about the LoS series. Though, what I DID like was the look and representation of Dracula's Castle in LoS2 (and the parts in the first LoS). I think they made it (especially with the scenic vistas) look like the MASSIVE behemoth-of-a-castle I always thought it was to be in the pre-LoS games. That and the whole Toymaker area of LoS2. I thought that area (for as small as it was) looked cool.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 04:14:24 PM »
im bored so I feel like debating some of yous guys points, disclaimer that I stilll respect everyone's opinion.. just doing this for fun

Quote from: gallandryal
Those games are more plot focused, but the atmosphere was off in a way. Dunno, it didn't feel like Castlevania, LOS could be any other random adventure game.
The irony here is, had it been titled "Folklore: Tale of the Lords of Shadow" or somethin, while still maintaining all the gameplay, story, etc. everyone here will be pointing out how much in common it has with the Castlevania series.

Quote from: Guy Belmont
as I really feel that if IGA had  used a Belmont in his new 3d trailer, instead of Alucard  he would have kept CV.
Im not sure how you came to this conclusion. Alucard is arguably more popular than any Belmont; there are many non-fans of Castlevania that can still identify Alucard, yet if you show them a picture of Christopher or Trevor, they'll respond with "whos that" or "which 1 is that." Lets be real, they are all just copy-and-paste portraits of one another, whereas Alucard maintains a unique presence among the series

Pretty sure Konami made it clear that they wanted the series to be among the AAA action titles at the time in terms of gameplay & presentation, it had nothing to do with "Belmonts are the #1 selling point of the series." They are important, yes, but not THE MOST important. They weren't confident that IGA & his team could pull it off, so they went with the European team. it's as simple as that, really

and the gameplay of LOs1 was  really well done, it made you feel like you were on an epic quest. It was a shame that there was no real Vampire Killer and that he became Dracula. But all and all a great game.
What do you mean by "no real Vampire Killer" exactly? Did you want it to be a leather whip? The weakest form of the weapon in the classic games, until upgraded to the chain flail, which is what the Combat Cross was from the start. in LoS2, the game's plot makes it known that the original CC Gabriel once wielded is the one true "Vampire Killer" of that world. It's their interpretation of the classic weapon

and to be honest, the importance of the "Vampire Killer" title wasn't all that integral to the plot of the classic games (perhaps not up until Bloodlines was produced). As far as we the players were concerned, it was just a magical whip that was probably switched out & replaced in each game (especially so in CVII: Simon's Quest). there was never any indication that a single whip was handed down to each successor. IGA really pushed for how important it truly was in the later games

Dave Cox stated in multiple interviews that their interpretation of Castlevania should be viewed as a "what-if" story, an "elseworlds" take on the traditional mythos where they take unexpected turns & liberties with the plot, just like how there are hundreds of alternative comic book stories that change the storylines of heroes (Superman: Red Son comes to mind, which proposes the idea of Clark landing in the Soviet Union when he was an infant, as opposed to him landing in Smallville, Kansas).

This is exactly what the LoS series is (what if the first Belmont turned to the darkside & became Dracula, thus cursing his descendants to hunt down the family shame for centuries). Konami couldve easily produced "Akumajo Dracula"-style games concurrent with the LoS games, and no fan would've been confused.

Offline Guy Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Master Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2018, 05:24:50 PM »
im bored so I feel like debating some of yous guys points, disclaimer that I stilll respect everyone's opinion.. just doing this for fun
The irony here is, had it been titled "Folklore: Tale of the Lords of Shadow" or somethin, while still maintaining all the gameplay, story, etc. everyone here will be pointing out how much in common it has with the Castlevania series.
Im not sure how you came to this conclusion. Alucard is arguably more popular than any Belmont; there are many non-fans of Castlevania that can still identify Alucard, yet if you show them a picture of Christopher or Trevor, they'll respond with "whos that" or "which 1 is that." Lets be real, they are all just copy-and-paste portraits of one another, whereas Alucard maintains a unique presence among the series

Pretty sure Konami made it clear that they wanted the series to be among the AAA action titles at the time in terms of gameplay & presentation, it had nothing to do with "Belmonts are the #1 selling point of the series." They are important, yes, but not THE MOST important. They weren't confident that IGA & his team could pull it off, so they went with the European team. it's as simple as that, really
What do you mean by "no real Vampire Killer" exactly? Did you want it to be a leather whip? The weakest form of the weapon in the classic games, until upgraded to the chain flail, which is what the Combat Cross was from the start. in LoS2, the game's plot makes it known that the original CC Gabriel once wielded is the one true "Vampire Killer" of that world. It's their interpretation of the classic weapon

and to be honest, the importance of the "Vampire Killer" title wasn't all that integral to the plot of the classic games (perhaps not up until Bloodlines was produced). As far as we the players were concerned, it was just a magical whip that was probably switched out & replaced in each game (especially so in CVII: Simon's Quest). there was never any indication that a single whip was handed down to each successor. IGA really pushed for how important it truly was in the later games

Dave Cox stated in multiple interviews that their interpretation of Castlevania should be viewed as a "what-if" story, an "elseworlds" take on the traditional mythos where they take unexpected turns & liberties with the plot, just like how there are hundreds of alternative comic book stories that change the storylines of heroes (Superman: Red Son comes to mind, which proposes the idea of Clark landing in the Soviet Union when he was an infant, as opposed to him landing in Smallville, Kansas).

This is exactly what the LoS series is (what if the first Belmont turned to the darkside & became Dracula, thus cursing his descendants to hunt down the family shame for centuries). Konami couldve easily produced "Akumajo Dracula"-style games concurrent with the LoS games, and no fan would've been confused.

Are joking, ether you've only just started  playing CV or your Alucard fan boy.

Simon Belmont is one of the most popular video game  charterers of all time.

Everyone knows him, and they know his sprite. the idea of a man and chain whip makes anyone think ohh yeah Simon, and the theme Vampire Killer. Anyone that's played games Knows Simon, and the whip is one of the most well recognized part of CV, even non fans know Simon.
 you show em CV and they say oh that guy with the  whip. that can brake walls for  wall food. So yeah we all saw LoS1 and saw the  holy knight, and thought ok yeah, back to the roots.

and I meant a holy whip. That can burn and kill a vampires and demons on contact. 

And the combat cross is not one as that's why you need the holy water... or other wise it would have been well we don't need that relic cos I have a whip  that's full of holy magic. And kill monster no prob.
not a just a chain. 

And the whip had always been very big part, in promotional materials for the first game it said he has a baptised whip.

And almost always says a something like "the  magic whip that has been passed down from  grandfather, to father, that sort of thing. yes in Simons quest is was buy a new one. But the rest was always  talking of it being passed down.
So TBH I think that having a Belmont back really helped Los.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 06:43:32 PM »
Are joking, ether you've only just started  playing CV or your Alucard fan boy
OUCH... well you got me there  ;D

Anyone that’s played games Knows Simon
I wish this was the case my fren... but it really isn’t. He’s not as recognizable as Mario or hell, even Crash Bandicoot. people especially casual gamers are quicker to recognize Pac-Man before Simon. that’s prolly because Castlevania especially the early ones was always kinda a niche series, due to its sheer difficulty. But are you trying to say that if IGA had used Simon (the red-haired, CV Chronicles/Judgment version that was “popular” at the time) in his trailer then he would’ve kept the series?

Is he iconic? Yes absolutely. I’m not saying he isn’t. But that doesn’t mean he’s also instantly recognizable amongst the entire gaming community, especially since there are way more game protagonists these days that have since overshadowed him. I don’t believe he’s on the same level as Mega Man in terms of worldwide notoriety.

I’m kinda confused by your wording so forgive me, it seems like English isn’t your native language. I believe that you’re confusing the plot with the gameplay when you say

and I meant a holy whip. That can burn and kill a vampires and demons on contact
But how many times do we actually fight other vampires in Castlevania games? Only a handful, at best? The Combat Cross, as explained by the in-game description, was drenched in holy water during its construction, it was baptized with holy rituals, and the metal stake at the base was added as the “finishing touch” to officially give it the title “Vampire Killer,” since stakes historically are the most popular way to “kill” a vampire. So I’m still confused as to what your argument against the Combat Cross not being a true vampire killer *FOR THE LORDS OF SHADOW MYTHOS* is, since all the evidence I presented states otherwise. I suggest you look up the Combat Cross on the Castlevania Wiki if you don’t believe my words  ;)

Edit: concerning what you said about the games always saying “the whip has been passed down from grandfather & so forth for generations,” that’s both true & untrue. The early games, from what I recall, barely place an extreme importance on a “single whip” being passed down. Instead they placed importance on the Belmont BLOODLINE, that just happens to use a whip as their weapon of choice. In the IGA era the whip has substantially more significance, and the fact that Belmonts wielding random whips was pretty much retconned at that point. CV:Belmont’s Revenge, I believe it states that there was a holy ceremony that gave Christoph’s son Soleiyu the TITLE of Vampire Hunter/Killer. Which suggests that they’ve been doing this for centuries. It doesn’t say “Soleiyu inherited the title from his father and thus was granted the Holy Whip Vampire Killer which was passed down from the Belmont Family for ages.” He even has his OWN whip when you fight him in the game, so...

like I said before, Belmonts being important to CV? Yaaas, especially to us hardcore fans. But that’s not the sole reason everyone else buy the games, it’s not “playing as a Belmont is paramount to our enjoyment of the series” for them
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:35:34 PM by crisis »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2018, 07:21:56 PM »
I liked the artwork and they're version of Simon looked cool.

It's all I got.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 07:51:46 PM »
I liked the artwork and they're version of Simon looked cool.

It's all I got.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 10:15:32 PM »
Edit: concerning what you said about the games always saying “the whip has been passed down from grandfather & so forth for generations,” that’s both true & untrue. The early games, from what I recall, barely place an extreme importance on a “single whip” being passed down. Instead they placed importance on the Belmont BLOODLINE, that just happens to use a whip as their weapon of choice. In the IGA era the whip has substantially more significance, and the fact that Belmonts wielding random whips was pretty much retconned at that point.

There is no controversy. In the first game, the very last line of the story says that the "whip with mysterious powers" was inherited by Simon from his forefathers. CVIII later establishes that the whip, along with the other weapons, are handed down from generation to generation. So it's a no brainer that they were using the same whip everytime (even on Christopher's case, Soleiyu inherited only the title, not the whip. They were supposed to form a vampire-hunting team, explaining why Christopher retained the whip).

I do agree with your point that the bloodline was more important. But there really WAS an importance on the whip being the same, and it was established right in the first game, even if it's true jtat many players didn't have access to this information.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 08:16:42 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Tags: