Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: One thing I thought would have been cool for Harmony of Despair...  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
I dunno if anyone else would agree with me but...

I think the game would have been cool if it kept the same character designs it had, level layouts, etc., but did the entire game in 3D graphics (so it'd be a 2.5D online platformer).

The fanbase (outside of the Dungeon) loved the fact that they were going through all the environments from various Castlevania titles, and I thought that was pretty cool, too (I didn't play the DS titles until after HD). But I think it would have had a much nicer touch had everything been in 3D (inb4 would have been nicer touch to just do all new sprites).

Hell, the game could even be graphically like Dracula X Chronicles. This would have allowed for other things like alternate costumes and such, also, rather than just alternate colors.

Anyway, yeah. I felt like sharing that with everyone.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Johnny Alucard

• Vampire Hunter
  • Shanoa x Monica OTP
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: One thing I thought would have been cool for Harmony of Despair...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »
Actually, 2.5D is a rather dividing line for some people. I've seen quite a few complaints about the 2.5D that Dracula X Chronicles did, and Mirror of Fate is receiving some flak for being 2.5D.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 02:48:53 PM »
I think it would look worse in pseudo 3D.  The graphics in DXC are alright, but regular 2D looks better to me.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »
The only problem with this idea, is that 3D has a perspective. If you from top to bottom, you wouldn't be able to clearly see enemies on platforms, because the platforms have depth and will cover sight of the floor itself. For a game with such a big view on the map, this would be hard to look ahead at a glance.

That said, there are much MUCH more important things to fix than the graphics. You know, like EVERYTHING else. It was still a slapped together inconsistent mess graphically, but, that's the least of my concerns for this title.

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 03:44:09 PM »
Castlevania HD was an obvious rush job, but a fun one nonetheless. The fusion of classic gameplay with metroidvania works rather well.  There are number of things that could be improved on for a sequel though. 

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »
Like I said, I didn't think people would agree with me. I just thought it'd be cool and felt like throwin' it out there.

Most people who played the game played it for the nostalgia factor, and many people enjoyed the fact that you went through familiar rooms as familiar characters. I personally would have been all like, "WHOA. COOL. I remember this room!" if it had been done in 2.5D.

That said, there are much MUCH more important things to fix than the graphics. You know, like EVERYTHING else. It was still a slapped together inconsistent mess graphically, but, that's the least of my concerns for this title.

Hard as it is to believe, graphics are probably the biggest problem with the game. It's balanced correctly (until like every other game and you get the best equipment), the voice acting is fitting (won't say it's horrible, but it's not stellar either), the music is really good, hell, the whole sound department is well done. One thing that could be fixed is the camera during local co-op. Splitscreen might have been better, but I don't know how that would have run what with everything going on.

The recycled elements do the most harm, but this is mostly reflected in the graphics. (Though most of the sound effects come from the DS titles, normal enemy and Brauner's voices come from their respective games, etc. and Dance of Illusions is taken straight from DXC)

As well, there are glitches, some of which have been mended,  but there aren't any horrible or game-breaking ones. That Menace glitch that you posted a video of, for example, I have never seen happen once during actual play, and was probably a one-time thing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 06:40:23 PM by Claimh Solais »
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Tags:

anything