Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: toxic males in gaming article  (Read 8269 times)

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 04:55:48 PM »
And oh of course the article was written by Polygon. They have to make this an issue constantly to avoid talking about the actual games.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 06:28:47 PM »
are you suggesting this is about ethics in video game journalism?

gasp

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 07:42:06 PM »
Hahaha. I know what you mean, but it just seems like Polygon doesn't even like video games. The guy who did the piece on going to a Rock Band 4 pubicity event several years back...that was just hilarious for all the wrong reasons.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2018, 05:12:20 AM »
Not having read all the way through, I only want to comment on one aspect of this.
The idea that a boy can't relate to female protagonists or a girl can't relate to male protagonists is horse shit.
I have never had an issue with the gender/race/species/etc of a video game protagonist.
Most gamers don't have these issues.
In fact, I tend to gravitate to female protagonists when given the choice.
Lots of people are like this, and I seriously doubt the vast majority of players give these biases a second or even a first thought.
Is the game fun to play?
Is the story interesting?
This is what really matters to a gamer.

Secondarily, the sex/sexist aspect of video games is largely bullshit, too.
In the same breath people will complain that game characters should have all the customization in the world because representation, then turn around and demand boob physics and bust size be removed from all games.
God for bid a man can choose to play as a voluptuous woman even if that means taking representation away from actual voluptuous women gamers. (Believe me they exist.)
That is pure hypocrisy.

And lastly, check your cultural privilege.
Young looking girls in Japanese games is their norm.
Take a minute to learn what the age of consent is in the creator's culture before demanding your feeling be protected.
Oversexualization? What the fuck does that even mean? We ARE a biologically sexual species!
Real girls in the real world actually do develop into sexual maturity at different rates. OMG!!!!!1111!!! ITZ TROOS!!!111!!!
There are actual underage girls in the real world that look like they are over 18! NO WAY!!!!1111!!!!
Fucking retarded bull shit.

Wake up, people! No one is responsible for your frail sensibilities. Take personal/parental responsibility and change the channel; chose a different game; go see a different movie. Stop forcing your personal bullshit on other people. You aren't protecting anyone with your misguided social justice war, you're literally attempting to oppress people for the petty ass reason that you don't agree with their opinion. Grow up.
[/rant]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 07:46:52 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2018, 11:19:26 AM »
Not having read all the way through, I only want to comment on one aspect of this.
The idea that a boy can't relate to female protagonists or a girl can't relate to male protagonists is horse shit.

Yes, we get it. Some people don't care about being able to relate to the protagonist. Some people care more about mechanics and less about immersion. But not everyone feels this way. To some people, having the option to play as a relatable persona does make a difference. It's that simple. Your personal opinions and preferences are not held by everyone else. I made that point while being fully aware of the fact that I prefer playing as Jill Valentine over Chris Redfield.

But anyways, I'm done with this thread. Not interested in further nerd rage induced shit slinging. This thread should be sealed inside a solar eclipse.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 12:14:25 PM »
I made that point while being fully aware of the fact that I prefer playing as Jill Valentine over Chris Redfield.

but can (pre-RE5) jill punch a boulder into a volcano

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2018, 12:37:16 PM »
but can (pre-RE5) jill punch a boulder into a volcano

No, but unlike Chris, she has mastered the art of unlocking. Additionally, I’ve seen a Chris sandwich, but never a Jill sandwich.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 12:42:37 PM by VladOfWallachia »

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 07:59:19 PM »
Yes, we get it. Some people don't care about being able to relate to the protagonist. Some people care more about mechanics and less about immersion. But not everyone feels this way. To some people, having the option to play as a relatable persona does make a difference. It's that simple. Your personal opinions and preferences are not held by everyone else. I made that point while being fully aware of the fact that I prefer playing as Jill Valentine over Chris Redfield.

But anyways, I'm done with this thread. Not interested in further nerd rage induced shit slinging. This thread should be sealed inside a solar eclipse.

Nothing wrong with that. It's your prerogative as a developer to tell your story the way you want.
My point is that your creative decisions should be free from the overreaching identity politics of others.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:03:11 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Tags: