Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Holy Water Trick: Cheat or good strategy?  (Read 6002 times)

Offline justin312

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Holy Water Trick: Cheat or good strategy?
« on: March 19, 2013, 02:11:32 PM »
I have heard of the holy water trick against bosses in the original Castlevania being considered a cheat or a cheap way out of boss fights.  I am curious as to what others think about the holy water trick.

My personal opinion is that it's not a cheat, but just the best strategy against bosses. This isn't just because its part of the game mechanics. The last holy water you can get, until the one that's actually in Dracula's room, is at the start of level 4. So starting at the point where those eagles are dropping all those hunchbacks on you in the middle of level 4, there are no more holy waters to be had if you die. My feeling is, if you can survive through most of level 4, and then all of level 5, on the same life, by all means, use holy water to freeze Death. You've earned it.

What do you guys think? Is using holy water on bosses simply the best strategy, or is it a cheat?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: Holy Water Trick: Cheat or good strategy?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 02:58:54 PM »
Its almost like using fire in CV2 Dracula. To me it acts like a bug even knowing that its intended to be this way. I use it since one of my fav sub-weapons is the holy water (cross is so overpower, I like it too but I use holy water more).
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 10:38:16 PM »
+1
I do think it is a cheat. I remember beating death legitimately with just crosses and no holy water trickery.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline son_the_vampire

• Chilly Lemonade
  • Legendary Hunter
  • I see you over there.. Yeah you
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 06:08:17 AM »
BOOMERANG GANG! i would like to try this holy water trick to see its effectiveness firsthand!
Twitch.tv/TrippyLemonss

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:52:06 AM »
BOOMERANG GANG! i would like to try this holy water trick to see its effectiveness firsthand!

It's like the saying" once you go black there's no going back" You'll never want to do anything diffferent again.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 05:52:29 PM »
I've used the holy water tactic numerous times but that's only if I've accidentally picked it up. I honestly don't think it's cheating because it's part of the game. The designers would have thoroughly tested it before launching the game and if they thought it was cheating then they would have removed it. I for one would rather use the axe with the triple shot icon. I'm an Axe man. But most other times I just straight-up use the whip.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 01:14:36 AM »
Not cheating in my opinion, in fact I seem to recall one of the US manuals (Simon's Quest?) recommending it as a strategy. Though it's been years since I read them so could be wrong. I think it's even more useful for subduing Igor/the invincible flea man than Death though.

Tags: