Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 586554 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2012, 09:19:40 AM »
Super Metroid has a ghost ship that's 8,000,000 times more spooky than anything SOTN musters up. :p There are lots of moments of horror in that game (bosses Spore Spawn, Crocomire, Kraid).

I dunno, SM is oozing with horror atmosphere right from the get-go. I'm not really sure how you're not seeing it, instead equating it to some "guns and aliens" thing or something. It tells me you weren't really paying attention and didn't give the game any chance at all.

Nah it's just my tastes again. SM is probably scarier than SOTN sure, because it's more serious, almost oppressively so from what I saw.
I usually enjoy spooky, ocassionally goofy fun over hardline horror. Take Alien and The Bride of Frankenstein, one of these is obviously scarier than the other inspite of a somewhat futuristic science fiction setting, and they're both really good movies. But I'll always favor the latter because it's in many ways a goofy fantasy that appeals more to my personal tastes. I like science fiction to, but it's not quite as close to my heart. And again I didn't play any Metroids until I was an adult, I'll never have the same tie with that series like I do with Castlevania.

The gameplay seemed more refined in SOTN. I seem to recall not caring much for how Samus controlled compared to the CV metroidvania protagonists, but it's been several years since I tried it. I freely admit I didn't play it for very long so I can't speak accurately in comparison to their level design. Also aside from the gameplay Konami was able to make the environments and characters much more detailed with the power of the PSX than could be done on the SNES, to say nothing of one of the greatest soundtracks in gaming. But even if you're right and SM is every bit as good as SOTN, I'll still prefer SOTN.

Like I previously mentioned "De gustibus non est disputandum."
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:27:19 AM by Ratty »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2012, 10:41:19 AM »
Been playing some samurai action with Onimusha Warlords
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2012, 08:24:37 AM »
Played some Legend of Dragoon. The story is as I'd heard a lot better than FF7 so far but I'm not really feeling the control scheme, maybe if I fish out my dual shock 1 with the not-so-pressure-sensitive buttons it would be better. Hmm
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:26:15 AM by Ratty »

Offline Nail_Bombed

• Indra's Fire
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Carlsberg
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Metal Ireland
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 04:56:29 AM »
Still on the new Binding Of Isaac expansion Wrath Of The Lamb. They've been doing updates and it seems they've sorted out the difficulty a lot - the game is now 120% more hard, yet doesn't beat you over the head with just how hard it is... unless you play as Samson, then it gets INSANE.
If a man chooses, and a slave obeys, then what are you if you choose to obey?

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2012, 12:41:37 PM »
Palying onimusha 3 now afterwards Dawn of Dreams.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2012, 04:22:51 PM »
Palying onimusha 3 now afterwards Dawn of Dreams.
I played a little of the original Onimusha and it seemed really good, though being restricted to dpad movement on a PS2 game is odd.
As a fan of the series you might enjoy "Soul of the Samurai", a similarly themed title Konami put out at the end of the PS1's lifecycle.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 04:44:49 PM by Ratty »

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »
Lost in Shadow for Wii, Hudson's last release before getting axed by Konami. It's innovative and artistic, but I find it's atmosphere depressing. Hard to play for long periods. The combat is a little clunky, too, so far.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »
I love that game, but it's not a 'combat' game per se.  Often you're hack hack RUN AWAY and repeat.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2012, 09:11:14 PM »
It's funny that the discussion turned to Super Metroid.  That's another game I've been playing lately.  I played up to Maridia, my favorite part, and haven't had a chance to get back to it since then.

Ratty, of course you're allowed to like and dislike whatever you want, but Super Metroid and SotN really do have tons in common.  If you enjoyed SotN, you really owe it to yourself to give Super Metroid a fair shake.  Even if you play through it and hate it, which is extremely unlikely, you'll understand the roots of SotN and you'll have the experience to truly judge the Metroid series.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2012, 10:13:09 PM »
Speaking about Metroid, I'm playing another hack I helped with:

You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2012, 10:24:47 PM »
I'm playing Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (ps2) for the millionth tume. This time I'm determined to beat it. Dunno why I always quit playing at some point, but not this time. Beat the Ruins of Amnesia tonight and is heading towards Windseeker Heights next (I think). Or maybe Limewater Cave. Dunno. The game doesn't always tell you where you need to go, at least not like in typical modern RPGs where you're always being pointed in the right direction. Thankfully the game doesn't seem that large so I'm just walking around, stumbling upon the next objective most of the time.

After Napishtim I'm gonna play Oath in Felghana. I am pretty new to the Ys series but I'm finding myself getting more and more obsessed. Now, if I could only find a cooy of Y I & II Chronicles for the PSP...

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2012, 10:53:56 PM »
It's funny that the discussion turned to Super Metroid.  That's another game I've been playing lately.  I played up to Maridia, my favorite part, and haven't had a chance to get back to it since then.

Ratty, of course you're allowed to like and dislike whatever you want, but Super Metroid and SotN really do have tons in common.  If you enjoyed SotN, you really owe it to yourself to give Super Metroid a fair shake.  Even if you play through it and hate it, which is extremely unlikely, you'll understand the roots of SotN and you'll have the experience to truly judge the Metroid series.

This is true. I'll probably give it a proper go at some point. Just probably not any time soon since I'm still stinging from the last time I made myself play a game almost entirely for historical perspective (FF7) though like I said I don't dislike Metroid/SM, it just has never grabbed me particularly.

I'm playing Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (ps2) for the millionth tume. This time I'm determined to beat it. Dunno why I always quit playing at some point, but not this time. Beat the Ruins of Amnesia tonight and is heading towards Windseeker Heights next (I think). Or maybe Limewater Cave. Dunno. The game doesn't always tell you where you need to go, at least not like in typical modern RPGs where you're always being pointed in the right direction. Thankfully the game doesn't seem that large so I'm just walking around, stumbling upon the next objective most of the time.

After Napishtim I'm gonna play Oath in Felghana. I am pretty new to the Ys series but I'm finding myself getting more and more obsessed. Now, if I could only find a cooy of Y I & II Chronicles for the PSP...
Ys 1 & 2 Chronicles was released on Steam recently if I'm recalling correctly. My SO played Oath in Felghana recently and adored it. I'm going to have to give the series a spin.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:55:58 PM by Ratty »

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2012, 06:23:45 AM »
Ys Origin is out now on Steam as well

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »
Ys Origin is out now on Steam as well
D'oh. Yeah that's what I meant. Guess I assumed that was the PC version of the latest in the long series of remakes of the first  2 games.
Think I'll put Legend of Dragoon away until I can get a controller with non-pressure sensitive buttons. Haven't played much of anything in the last several days.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »
Been playing Symphony of the Night and Dota 2.

Waiting on Paper Mario and KH:DDD to come  out summer.

Tags: