Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Dungeon Music Contests?  (Read 21105 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2014, 07:00:08 PM »
So we are all in agreement that at least for the first contest there are no restriction on software or instruments...riiiight?

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2014, 12:32:51 AM »
Yup, less restrictions, more people entering. :)

Since we're (almost) ready, how about choosing a theme for the first month?

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2014, 01:16:10 AM »
Transform a normal theme (character theme counts as normal theme) in a boss theme = profit. :P
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2014, 02:07:36 AM »
Rules recap:
- any genre is acceptable
- no restrictions on software or live instruments
- no deadline extensions (for a regular 31 day month= 25 days for compositions, 5 days for forum voting, 1 day to decide on the next theme)
- voting though a forum poll (1 thread for competition discussion, 1 for voting and discussing results -- then, 1 thread for next month's compo, etc.)
- the winner chooses next month's theme
- the winner can enter the following month, but his entry should be counted as bonus
========================

As Jorge for the inaugural theme.
For me, I'd like to hear any existing theme transform into something with a love song vibe. ahahahaha. (since y'know the winner chooses the next theme and the love song theme might not be chosen for Feb...  :P )

Some more concerns:
1. Which awards should be used for the winners?
2. Who creates the music library for remix-able tunes? Once it's been created, I suggest to make it sticky.
3. I suggest contest participants should post a link to their composed mp3s ala what we're doing for the sprite contests. I shall add the links to the first post of the contest thread and the poll thread. Rather than sending them all to me via PM. What do you guys think?

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2014, 02:14:27 AM »
I'm okay with all that (except that theme -- just did a 5-track EP of romantic ballades, haha).

What do you mean by "music library"? MIDI files? Samples? VSTs?

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2014, 02:18:39 AM »
I'm okay with all that (except that theme -- just did a 5-track EP of romantic ballades, haha).

What do you mean by "music library"? MIDI files? Samples? VSTs?

Lol. I was just throwing a theme idea out. I know it doesn't sit well with you guys. hehehe.

Someone mentioned a music library for people to source their midis for compositions from.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2014, 02:23:38 AM »
Someone mentioned a music library for people to source their midis for compositions from.
Simply link to the various MIDI websites, such as Mr.P's, or VGMusic. I may do it later today if needed. :)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2014, 04:04:08 AM »
Ah. I see. Yeah, please create a thread for all midi sources.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2014, 04:51:45 AM »
I have roughly 20GB or so of nothing but soundfonts and samples. If instrument banks are something we'd want to have readily accessible, I can lend a hand there. Jorge also has an extensive collection (in fact a few of my favorite banks are ones he's recommended), so asking him might be beneficial.

I've got a pretty decent hunk of ripped samples if, say, we had a Dawn of Sorrow-style contest later down the road.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2014, 09:05:30 AM »
Lets use Donoffrio entry for the October Sprite contest for the 1st place winner for this contest:

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2014, 05:05:07 PM »
This intrigues me.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2014, 06:33:53 PM »
Ok, so we are going with a character theme this month, does it have to be turned into a love song?? Lmao if so im out by default on this one haha :P also, are we going for game specific or just open to any title? I think game specific would serve as more of a challenge but thats just my $0.02
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2014, 07:39:23 PM »
I think game-specific would be best, but even more so if we attached a specific pairing to it; such as taking a song from Symphony and reworking it as a love song for Dracula and Lisa, or something like that.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2014, 10:07:49 PM »
Hey, you don't have to stick to the love song theme, y'know.
I can create a poll of all possible themes for next month then let the most voted one be the theme for the contest.
Sound off your desired theme/s for next month before I start creating the poll.

So far we have:
Get a game specific theme (which game? Symphony?) and transform it
- to character theme remix
- from a normal theme into a boss theme
- from any theme into a love song

Lets use Donoffrio entry for the October Sprite contest for the 1st place winner for this contest:

That would be nice, what about the 2nd and 3rd placers?

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2014, 10:40:56 PM »
My vote goes for a normal theme to boss theme, that sounds fun! Since this is going to be the kick-off so to speak for the music contests, what about starting with the first Castlevania?
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Tags:

anything