Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Arcade Archives includes Haunted Castle  (Read 7086 times)

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: February 19, 2017, 04:55:14 PM »
In Japan there's a service called Arcade Archives which ports arcade games to PS4, XB1 Windows and soon the Switch. Imagine Virtual Console but arcade games only. One of the games they have for sale (in Japan only atm, NA and Europe tba) is Haunted Castle. The Switch Wikipedia and Nintendo's website list Arcade Archives itself as a game but I highly doubt they'd release a compilation of so many games they have to license out. I imagine it'll just be the service coming to Switch, each of the titles releasing separately on the eShop. Still cool- they've got some awesome obscure and well known games on there, including some Neo Geo stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcade_Archives

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Arcade Archives includes Haunted Castle
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 10:13:14 PM »
So this means that most of those obscure (and awesome) arcade titles that have almost never officially seen the light of home release will finally be able to. This kinda makes me want to get a separate system just for the sake of collecting these gems.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 03:18:45 AM »
So this means that most of those obscure (and awesome) arcade titles that have almost never officially seen the light of home release will finally be able to. This kinda makes me want to get a separate system just for the sake of collecting these gems.

I always thought that titles such as MVC2 and MVC Origins, no longer being available to the public could potentially sell for quite a lot on Ebay due to their scarcity. I for one will be keeping mine for now though.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 01:33:02 AM »
I've noticed these on PSN...bought both Double Dragon games and Renegade a while back.

It would be nice to eventually see Haunted Castle get a release in NA and EU in this fashion. If for nothing else, to be able to play it in an official capacity once in a while. It's not really all that great, but it's kind of fun to experience its weirdness sometimes.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 10:31:55 PM »
Haunted Castle is one game that I think is ripe for a remake. It's actually a good game, it's just that the programmers made it more of a quarter stealer than a fun game. If they'd correct this, I imagine the community would probably welcome the effort.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 01:37:56 AM »
I have this for PS2, no it's not perfect, but hey, it didn't cost me anything. It was sent to me by a good friend of mine.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 09:30:35 PM »
As I've mentioned in other threads, the original game feels broken because of there being very limited continues. Every ROM version and the PS2 Hamster disc are marred by this one detail (also the emulation on that PS2 port is utterly shit). Hamster's Arcade Archives release on PS4 gives the option to set infinite continues, and it's a much more fun experience for it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Roki

• Creating Music and Fangames
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 01:20:02 PM »
I just hope that they bring Haunted Castle (Along with many other Castlevania games!) to the Nintendo Switch or PC. I don't like emulating due to shoddy emulation for certain consoles, and having to buy a PS4 just to play Castlevania isn't something I would do.

Tags:

anything