Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: How do you deal with being prejudiced against?  (Read 22161 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Re: How do you deal with being prejudiced against?
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2011, 07:11:17 AM »
First off, conspiracy theories aside, you do have a democracy. You may say your country isn't entirely free, when compared to, IDK, Finland for example (the country rated highest in Freedom house), but still you have more freedom than most of the world.  Obama is exactly my point. Obama is a decent president (in my non-American opinion) and he makes good points.
Maybe I'm wrong? That's what I learned from various sources. I may be wrong.
Anyway, Obama WAS chosen because he was popular and had a good campaign. Maybe a little bit like Kennedy. Would he be chosen purely for his political agenda? I don't know. I do know that after Bush, the general opinion in America was increasingly pro-democratic.   

The second statement, well, I agree with you and you missed my point. When I said the government doesn't owe you shit, what I meant was that the only reason the authorities build roads, enforce law and and give you education is because the public demands it. The meaning of democracy is that the government exists for the people, not visa-versa. And when the public doesn't demand anything, the government wouldn't do anything. It's really simple- you mustn't take rights for granted- you fight for them.   

General knowledge against general education. Hmmm. It's a different argument than mine. You may say that the general school program is... Well... Incorrect in the matter that it forces you to learn minor subject instead of subjects that are more important to make you an intelligent man. I somewhat agree with that. You still must understand that ignorance is bad for a healthy society. You need a certain amount of intelligence to avoid a close-minded way of thinking. You don't see many intelligent people who are racists, do you? That's because racism is a kind of ignorance.
As you said, intelligent people are using people's ignorance to control them. Well, guess what. If there weren't so many ignorant people that wouldn't work. And then we'd have a society that's more free than we have today.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:13:26 AM by Drunken Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2011, 07:13:49 AM »
@Kale:

It's called enrichment.

If you cram yourself up only with the ideas and knowledge you're interested in, you tend to develop a closed-minded, narrow view of the world.  You need to be taught everything, not just what you like.  Since when is it about just what you like?  You have to take in everything. It's like food.  When you're a kid, you don't want to eat the bitter vegetables, but guess what?  You have to eat them because they're good for you.  They're good for your body.  The same with knowledge you don't like. You don't want it, but it's good for your mind.

You can argue that it's your right not to learn what you don't like, but I can argue that it's not what's best for society, overall.

You'd be surprised when something that was 'shoved in your face' years ago, turns out to be of importance later.  I didn't think I'd ever need the Pythagorean theorem or the knowledge of projectile motion physics, but it turns out I use both of those for a number of ways, these days.

@Freddy:
Wow, you don't skip a beat turning something political, do ya?
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2011, 11:26:15 AM »
I dont want to talk politics, because people will stick to what they believe, and no amount of internet arguing will change that. This could become a 15 page political debate, and NOTHING except wasted time and high frustrations will come out of it
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2011, 01:55:34 PM »
@ Jorge

That's fine... in primary school. But it should not be forced on you when you are going to college when you are going to study a profession or skill. I didn't hate it in highschool. There is a difference... or rather, there should be a difference. I think most of the things I learn in highschool is definitely useful. Not all, of course, but it's rare when it's everything would be useful. But there is no reason why a electrical engineer needs to know what time and date that Hitler attacked Austria. I'm not against a general knowledge course that covers some of this and some of that, but it should not be concentrated and then forced upon you.

When it's enforced, it's not enrichment, it's cramming. I don't even cram for these tests for the most part but I know pretty much everyone else does. Everything that was shoved in your face does not enrich you because they are something you are learning for that one time period and then you forget. If you don't believe me, youtube "stop women suffrage." I'm almost certain everyone asked has been "enriched" in the way you are suggesting.

And why I say that it's fine when you are in primary school, secondary, high school is because often in those times you have not decided or have not had enough knowledge to decide for yourself truly what you want to do. But when you're in college you often have a goal already in mind, and when you don't you will take classes to see if they are somethign you are interested in.

@ Freddy

I'm not talking about it in a conspiratorial sense that it's a not a democracy. It's just the truth, what we have is a democratic republic, the republic part of it is the bigger part. Sure, citizens vote, but they vote people into republic offices as their representatives, who then votes on laws on their behalf.

As for what you said for rights being taken for granted. I completely agree. But the way you said it before sounded like that sort of manipulation that happens in media and government. Also, it seems like our representatives in offices are probably thinking just that.

I don't know about that racist thing though I do agree with you for the most part. I think most racism happens when people are offended unnecessarily or if they are influenced by others, mainly their communities. I don't have any statistics to really back that up, but that is what it seems like to me.

I personally say racist stuff all the time, to friends, because for the most part they know I don't have any racial intentions behind them. But I think most blacks are taught of their enslavement and they take it to heart even though we should be past that and they get a sense of entitlement. Many of them, in turn say racist things to other people. One example was this one guy on my school bus back in high school who called me a chink, if I had retaliated in a racial manner, people would get on my ass but not his. I'm not trying to say all blacks are like this, but it does seem to be the majority of them ones I've met.

Now on to ignorance. Like I've said I have nothing about learning about general knowledge... but it should be general, not how these general education classes I've taken. We should learn how wars started, and why it's bad and how it ended, things like that. Or why this book or that book is considered good. But the classes I've taken teaches the Eiffel tower was built in this year, and Hitler committed suicide on this day at this second after this happen of this year. No one will remember that, unless they were REALLY interested. I admit that I was somewhat interested and I did look into these things, but not to the details that was taught, because I know it's not some I need to know.

Finally, I agree that people shouldn't be ignorant because it's bad. But when you do not intend to step into that field, you are alright. Politics is definitely not my field, but I am somewhat interested, which is why I do look things up. I don't try bring up things I have no clue about, it may happen (I'm not perfect), but I tend to try to stay away from things that doesn't interest me or I have no knowledge about.

I might've missed some things, feel free to point them out.

@ Flame

I agree... but I do like talking about politics every now and then, regardless of how it turns out. Much like video game arguments... I just don't like it when people say one thing then another and when pointed out they ignore it and still press on because then... they are just trolling. I also tend not to get too frustrated about these things, or so I try.

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2011, 08:24:32 PM »
Here's one plus side to college general courses, or what could be construed as general courses (History 101 isn't a general course if you're a history major  :-X): No nationalistic bullcrap. Sure, you might get a steadfastly patriotic professor, but you may also get a real historian who won't feed you full of pro-American propaganda. I had one professor, she was pretty cool, albeit a bit odd, who had us read "War Without Mercy" (about how the war trials of WWII were racially biased against the Japanese and more lenient toward the Germans) and taught us about research that suggested the atomic bombs weren't about stopping the war, but rather about using Japan as a proving ground -- that the atom bomb wasn't a fluke. Colleges teach that Columbus was a douchebag or that Russians valued vodka over rations at times during WWII (makes sense too, if you think about the situations). High school textbooks were always written to glorify the US. Hell, I never even knew the Pledge of Allegiance wasn't required until I was in college.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2011, 08:58:18 PM »
That is true about highschool glorifying US more... but then again... I always did think that how school works is retarded.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2011, 07:27:55 AM »
@Jorge

Well, hahaha, he was asking for that, wasn't he?

@Kale

Nice arguments. It's a good debate. Sometimes I make points and miss the other one's points. But then again I like to argue. And I'm an asshole.

@TheouAegis

Oh, boy. Historical lessons about the war are so often one sided.  Ever try to discuss WW2 (or like they call it, The Great Patriotic War) with Russians? You would hear tales of Russian heroism and incredible courage. What they won't tell you about are the great atrocities and war crimes committed by Stalin, many of which were so gruesome that they can be compared to the crimes of Hitler's third Reich.
Even today, when the Soviet Union is in the past, modern Russia still refuses to publicly apologize to Poland for the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact which divided Poland between The Union and the Nazis. Russians being the bad guys? Oh no! That never happened!
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2011, 06:30:12 PM »
IKR. Three or four chapters on the European campaign (of which one page was pre-US involvement). Six pages about the battles of Midway, Iwo Jima and the Marshall Islands. One or two paragraphs about Japanese-American internment camps. No mention of Japanese-American soldiers. Maybe a paragraph about African-American troops. One page on Fat Man and Little Boy alone. Two chapters on their aftermath. One chapter dedicated to Nuremberg. One sentence on the Tokyo Trials. Allied forces combated Axis forces in North Africa and Middle Eastern factions in Iraq. Wait, where was that in the book?!

That's a generalized breakdown of WWII coverage in high school text books. ... And odds are it's probably not too far off.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »
really shouldn't expect much from a generalized history course

Offline Arma

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • My, currently outdated, blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2011, 06:25:58 AM »
I was out getting a burger yesterday when I ran into a Finnish guy I know named Peklo Putkimies, whom I thought was a decent enough guy. I asked him to eat with me so we could talk about the coldness. But instead, he just glared at me and said "I know you stole my water hose, and frankly I don't like your kind." There had been a rash of thefts near our village, so I understand his frustration. However, the last bit was very, very uncalled for.

Have you ever been actively discrimated against, and how did you deal with it?

This may sound like an stupid question but what he tried to imply with that? from my point of view it could have been racism or maybe he meant "your kind" like the "thief kind" trying to reiterate you're a thief rather than refering to your race.

The guy may be hysterical for all the robberies but that doesn't mean he gets the freedom to bully his neighbors like that, he's a douche and you should ignore him from now on. That's what I usually do with the brainless, they don't deserve attention, nor even a filthy look. It's not a good idea to acknowledge their existence, it makes them happy and encourages them lol

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2011, 01:31:02 AM »
This may sound like an stupid question but what he tried to imply with that? from my point of view it could have been racism or maybe he meant "your kind" like the "thief kind" trying to reiterate you're a thief rather than refering to your race.

The guy may be hysterical for all the robberies but that doesn't mean he gets the freedom to bully his neighbors like that, he's a douche and you should ignore him from now on. That's what I usually do with the brainless, they don't deserve attention, nor even a filthy look. It's not a good idea to acknowledge their existence, it makes them happy and encourages them lol

You do realize that what you do is also a form of ignorance? It's not like he will stop existing when you don't look at him.

Offline Arma

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • My, currently outdated, blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2011, 05:21:26 AM »
That's not the point at all, obviously I know they're not going to dissappear just because I'm ignoring them, I'm not a newborn thinking someone's hiding just because I'm covering my eyes.

The idea is to ignore these people provocations so you don't get yourself into unnecessary fights. That's it.

Offline Donvermicelli

• Count of the villa
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015 -  Christmas Award 3rd Place 2015-04- Sprite Contest Bronze 2015-02-Sprite Contest Runner-Up Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2011, 06:45:47 PM »
Well that is true, I got a different impression from your post  :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2011, 10:25:48 AM »
I was out getting a burger yesterday when I ran into a Finnish guy I know named Peklo Putkimies, whom I thought was a decent enough guy. I asked him to eat with me so we could talk about the coldness. But instead, he just glared at me and said "I know you stole my water hose, and frankly I don't like your kind." There had been a rash of thefts near our village, so I understand his frustration. However, the last bit was very, very uncalled for.

Sounds like this fellow here needs some serious discipline in his life followed by deportation (in my mind anyways). You invited him out for a friendly get-together and he treats you like a natural-born criminal without even a shred of evidence to back up his claim or wanting an explination. Maybe you should forcibly sit this guy down and have a chat with him whether he wants to or not. It also sounds like his parents spared the rod thus spoiling the child (him) as he's throwing a tantrum about his stolen water hose and can't wait to blame the first person he sees. However if he's deliberately targeted you for his anger and frustrations then you have every right to act to defend yourself. This Finnish guy needs to be brought back to reality rather then living in his own convenient, concocted fantasy. Some here may disagree with me on this, but I feel that this guy needs a really good life's lesson. If you even wanted to you could get the police to lean on this guy too. Tell them word for word everything he said to you and they just might be the intensive this guy needs to "Grow up" a little. You don't need to take this s**t lying down. Do what you feel you need to.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2011, 06:59:13 AM »
I laugh it off if I find the given subject amusing or otherwise ignore it completely. If it's not my family or friends, I completely lack a shit in which to give. I mean, really, what point is there in getting angry or upset when group X says, "I don't like you for reasons X, Y, Z, so instead of acting like a mature adult and understanding that people are different and not everyone will meet my standards, I'm going to act like a child and single you out or otherwise attempt to hurt you," because 99.99% of the time, nothing will change how they feel or act at that given time. Now, in the future, they may grow up a little or whatever the case may be, but for the time being, why get upset over the unchangeable? It's like locking the door after all your stuff's already been stolen; there's just no point in it.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Tags:

anything