Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Angry Video Game Nerd's Sega CD and 32X reviews  (Read 7214 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Angry Video Game Nerd's Sega CD and 32X reviews
« on: September 12, 2007, 06:53:37 AM »
I know these are old and many are likely familiar with them, but I myself have only just come across the wonders of The Angry Video Game Nerd. :o His reviews of TMNT and Karate Kid are spot-on, by the way.

Anyway, I found these two reviews to be hilarious:

Sega CD
Sega 32X

Back in the day, I never had a Genesis. Stuck exclusively to Nintendo. Would have LIKED a Genesis (mostly at the time because of Shinobi III), but I was a young squirt, and it basically all depended on whether or not my older brother wanted one, because my mom would have bought another new system for TWO of us, but not just one. Sadly, my brother never has cared for the Genesis and still sort of slams it (even though, through the wonders of emulation, I've discovered what a great system it is).

But anyhoo, I still hold the opinion that the SNES is far superior to the Genesis, in every way, including games catalog. And these reviews remind me of two cousins of mine who were big into Sega and mostly slammed Nintendo. I remember when the Sega CD came out, I thought it looked like a pile of crap. I sort of liked the idea of CD console games, and Sonic CD looked really cool (I never got to play it until a few years later on PC, and yes, it does rock--second best Sonic game, right after the first one, I'd say), but most of the games just looked like garbage. Still, my cousins defended it, and made fun of Nintendo for not releasing a CD add-on (like they had planned with Sony, I believe--the original PlayStation).

Now I remember the Sega CD looking like poo, but I didn't remember it being THIS bad. Those games are atrocious! I would love to play Snatcher, though. I've wanted to for like 7 years now.

Now as for the 32X, I always just assumed it was crap. And looking at that video, yup, I'd definitely say so. Even Knuckles' Chaotix is bad (which I emulated, yay).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 06:56:22 AM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

LBPHeretic

Re: Angry Video Game Nerd's Sega CD and 32X reviews
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 08:38:27 AM »
In Reply To #1

I actually owned a 32X (still do). The games for it, while not exactly stellar, were only using a fraction of what it was really capable of. If you've seen the technical demonstration videos of the 32X you'd see how much it really could do. It's very impressive, indeed. :)

I think if Sega had planned the release date of the 32X better (instead of releasing it right before the Sega Saturn), newer games would have utilized much more of the power that the 32X had to offer. Developers would have, by then, gotten a good feeling of how to maximize its performance and some sweet looking games probably would have been produced. Too bad Sega planned its launch badly and then pulled the plug quickly. It's all very sad. :(

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 11:05:51 AM »
I owned a Sega CD along with the game "SewerShark".. it was very weird. The only 32x game I ever wanted to play was Spiderman Web of Fire, & "The Bloodletting"  ;)

Does anybody remember Sega Channel?

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 01:23:54 PM »
Sega was really ahead of its time back then. It was also really cool that with the Sega CD and 32X, they were add ons to the Genesis so it wasn't like you had to buy a whole new system (though I think I remember the Sega CD being pretty expensive.) They were a great company and there was a lot of potential with these two peripherals, it's just too bad they didn't take full advantage of it.

Offline Slayer

• The Prince of a town called Bel-Air
  • Master Hunter
  • The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 02:00:43 PM »
Yeah, these AVG reviews were some of the best I've seen...also...
I'm....BACK...
...wait...NEWBIE?!?!
----------------------------------------------
Tetris world record, set.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_3mxSPWAn4

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 02:44:41 PM »
gtfo n00b :o
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Slayer

• Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 05:12:26 PM »
In Reply To #6

T-T

Offline Blue Cheese

• SO DAMNED GOOD
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 04:17:56 AM »
I adore my Genesis/CD/32X. The SegaCD did have some shite games but it also had many classics that still are fun today (SonicCD, Silpheed, Heart of The Alien, Snatcher...).

And that poor 32X. It really was a great little device, and if more time had been allowed for it to grow, I can't imagine the things we would have seen for it. The games that did come out for it are nowhere near the possibilities. I mean, the thing enhanced both the Genesis AND the SegaCD.

Damn good little systems I say

Offline Slayer

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 01:14:02 PM »
In Reply To #8

I'll give credit to Snathcer...

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 01:50:04 PM »
+1
I remember reading something on Sega planning a system called the 'Neptune' which combines both the 32x & genesis in 1 package. There was even a prototype of it. Of course, this idea was eventually scrapped in favor of the Saturn..

Offline Think Tank

• usually posts while intoxicated
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 11:48:39 PM »
His review of Nintendo Power has to be the funniest and most in depth episode yet. It definitely brought me back. You guys should check it out.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24502.html

edit: just realized that was the 1000th post on this forum

Offline ProtoBelmont

• is not a newbie
  • Hunter in Training
  • I am the voice inside your head
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »
In Reply To #11

Celebrate time!  ;D
Also the, "What's dracula's problem?" part is great. Really though, I remember that picture creeping me out. But yeah, that was an awesome video. : )

Tags: