Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Simons Quest: Revamped Again (fan project, in development) Want Suggestions  (Read 65902 times)

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
  • hacking games since 1999
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Simons Quest: Revamped Again (fan project, in development) Want Suggestions
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2015, 11:06:19 AM »
Sorry for the poor video quality. I haven't found a good free recording software yet for Windows. Here is an update on the new features:
- widescreen
- config
- enemy stun
- updated church

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2015, 01:03:50 PM »
Coming along nicely I think. I'm still working on the new character graphics, btw.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Wallz!

• Hunter in Training
  • Experimental fan games galore!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2015, 08:17:33 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet - But can the flame man not be invincible to the flame whip? Yes, I realize it's fire vs fire, but there's still a whip under that flame. It gets pretty inconvient that you can't whip them. Also, in general, the enemies' invincibility period seems too long. It gets kind of aggravating to hit an enemy multiple times but they just keep going right through it.

I'd also suggest adding several minor save points. You're keeping Simon's Quest's game design, where you respawn right where you died. Getting a game over at Dracula, for example, puts you 2 towns behind. Dying on the stretch around Aljiba is especially tedious, as that town amoung others don't even have churches. Perhaps smaller save statues scatterred around Transylvania can help. Maybe have them not restore health, as a motivation to hike to churches sometimes.

If you're using game maker, draw sprites from the DRAW event. In there, specify to draw sprites from round(x) and round(y). This will fix sprites that look ugly occasionally (such as the lizardmen, or even occasionally Simon). This happens because you probably have them moving at subpixel speeds (2.5, for example) and game maker is attempting to draw them at decimal pixels, resulting in that ugly, stretched look.

The last thing on my mind at the moment are those purple ghosts in Castlevania. They take too many hits, it's pretty unrealistic to fend all of them off without taking damage; especially since they keep stalking you while invincible. On top of that, some of them can spawn directly on you, which is annoying especially since they can damage you before they're fully visible. Using laurels is an option, but since you can't attack while using one, getting through Castlevania still involves some time without them.

You've got a promising game, and I'm not trying to insult it. I personally believe Simon's Quest is pretty flawed. I respect that you're going more for a revamp than a re-imagining, but there are still just some things that are flawed game design that weigh this down. Also, just wanna apologize if any or all of what I've said has been adressed - I haven't been following this game too long.

By the way, for video capture, try CamStudio. It's definately not perfect, and I've never gotten the sound capture to work, but if you tweak the settings right you can get a pretty good picture, and it's not too costing of your RAM. I also have Simon's voice clips from CV: Judgement, if you're looking to replace Richter's.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:32:41 PM by ronny14 »

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2015, 04:46:26 AM »
Inccubus: I'm sure you are  ;D

ronny:

Thank you. That's some good feedback. True, much of it has been said before but that's OK. I actually have been switching over to the draw event. It offers many more benefits for altering the sprite. I'm also not sure if you caught that I have added 'stun' to the enemies so that they don't move when hit. This does go away if you choose difficulty 5.

Oh. And that WAS CamStudio.. yech.. I even set it to highest quality. I like Debut but my trial ran out and now I can't record.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:48:33 AM by metroidquest »

Offline Nefarious520

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2015, 02:18:01 AM »
I feel guilty for asking this cuz this game is kickass and I appreciate what you've done here, but when you have some free time could you port this to android and ios? Thanks for the game!

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2015, 04:42:54 AM »
I feel guilty for asking this cuz this game is kickass and I appreciate what you've done here, but when you have some free time could you port this to android and ios? Thanks for the game!

I would be happy to... if someone would donate $700 for GM Studio Master Edition  ;D

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2015, 06:15:13 AM »
Looking good man! Im not sure if I tossed the idea to you before or not, but if you need someone to give you some tunes or the full OST with some updated metal/orchestra id be glad to hook you up  8)
But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2015, 06:26:33 AM »
Looking good man! Im not sure if I tossed the idea to you before or not, but if you need someone to give you some tunes or the full OST with some updated metal/orchestra id be glad to hook you up  8)

I will definitely take submissions. I'm going to implement a 'remix' mode where the player can choose classic style (in the current version) or remix music style.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2015, 12:31:27 PM »
any chance for a unlockable mode featuring a different sprite of Simon?

Like his black leather one from Chronicles?

Sorry if its a huge request, just felt the need to atleast ask lol. ;D

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2021-07-Music Contest Silver Award 2018-06 Music Contest Runner-Up 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest First Place 2015-03-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2015, 03:05:41 PM »
I will definitely take submissions. I'm going to implement a 'remix' mode where the player can choose classic style (in the current version) or remix music style.
Sounds good dude,  check out my Haunted Castle medly thread if you want to get and idea of my style  ;D

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2015, 04:06:29 PM »
I sent you a PM, metroidquest. You might wanna take a look at it. :)
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2015, 04:34:43 AM »
+1
DarkPrinceAlucard: It's a possibility. We'll see  ;)

BMC War Machine: I Will check it out and let you know.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2015, 11:37:32 AM »
DarkPrinceAlucard: It's a possibility. We'll see  ;)

BMC War Machine: I Will check it out and let you know.
Here ya go dude, had a day off today and got this together.
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/194a9rbjg3wkh98/Wayward+Psalms+-+Silence+of+Daylight.mp3

Offline metroidquest

• Programmageddon
  • Vampire Hunter
    • MQ's YouTube Channel
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2015, 11:51:50 AM »
Here ya go dude, had a day off today and got this together.
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/194a9rbjg3wkh98/Wayward+Psalms+-+Silence+of+Daylight.mp3

Thanks, my friend. I'm afraid I have chosen all my remixed tracks already. Thank you for the interest though.

Offline BMC_War Machine

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »
No worries man, i figured if all else i could find a place in my CV3 remake for this if you didn't use it lol

Tags:

anything