Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Why is the Devil depicted with a goat's head?  (Read 22790 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Why is the Devil depicted with a goat's head?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 12:42:50 AM »
I find the whole notion of Satan(ism) is just utter nonsense; An excuse by the early church to paint Pagan spirituality in a negative light so that Pauline Christianity could be seen as the one true faith. This is typical Roman imperialistic behavior that has unfortunately lasted roughly into our current century. Jesus never spoke of such a being because there never was one to begin with, let alone of hell (whom is actually the Nordic goddess of the frozen underworld), or of the fallen angel Lucifer because angels can't fall from grace as they are crafted out of God's pure and incorruptible love (ie they don't have human emotions, just love). He only spoke positive messages to the people's of Judea about an all-loving, merciful god. All the Dogma and talks of Satan are of the Roman mentality to promote fear into the populous. It is an underhanded tactic that is simply unexceptable in today's society; one of the earliest forms of terrorism. I will admit that it makes for great story-telling but that's all it's good for.

Well I think the only bible despiction of Satan is that of an envious ANGEL sent BY God to torture some man because he thought he was good only because God was good to him. Then there was the one who tempted Jesus on the desert and.. that's it. Satan doesn't exist anymore. While demons are acknowleged (Remember "We are Legion?") their nature is never explained.

The old testament is NUTS, I can't believe in that story that has David slaying a man to get his wife for a one night stand under God's approval. The Old testament is just an excuse for some people to rule over others. The new one is corrupted too but it's message is a little more  pure.

The Apocalypse is pure bollocks though.

Everything comes full circle

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »
Actually Satan wasn't envious in the book of Job. They even covered it kinda on South Park. Job is one of the most fucked up books of the Bible, maybe second to Deuteronomy, at least if you believe Satan is God's evil counterpart. In Job, God and the Satan are on speaking terms, almost budies or comrades. They make a bet and God says, "Go ahead and make that guy's life utterly miserable. I bet you he'll remain faithful." And the fucked up thing is God loses. Job actually loses faith at one point and God just straight up gets pissed and chews him out, essentially calling him a know-nothing piss ant who should keep his trap shut because God is all powerful and Job is just a scrub. Job is proof that Satan is a class of angel, not one in particular, unless you're willing to accept God and Satan are buddy-buddies like Saddam Hussein and Satan in South Park.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 05:28:18 PM »
I remember those South Park episodes. Saddam Hussein's ultimate punishment for eternity was to go to heaven lol!

Also why satan is depicted as a goat is because he is one horny bastard. If you want convincing the go read 'The Convent of Hell' and watch 'Demons III' or as it is known 'The Church'. Satan gets all the action in these works, it's just not fair  :'(
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:34:58 PM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »
Jov is basically the bible's answer to the question "why do good people suffer while evil ones live a good life?".
The devil in the book of Jov is pretty much a part of god or whatever. I think the old testament never mentions Satan as a separate entity but more of a representation of people's bad will; Perhaps the same could be said about Jesus in the desert.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 04:33:35 PM »
No, God explicitly has a conversation with a Satan in Job. There's no allegory there. If you believe Satan from Job is an allegory, then you must believe God is an allegory.

Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them.

7 And the Lord said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

8 And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

9 Then Satan answered the Lord, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.

11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.

12 And the Lord said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord.

And it says Satan in the Hebrew version too. Proper devil. The Devil.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 12:13:12 AM »
Like I said, the book of Jov is an exception. Like many other Biblical "legends" (as opposed to the quasi-historical tales of the nation of Israel) it's unclear what its origin is, and you can suspect that like the story of the flood it has been "inspired" by other nations' polytheistic mythology. Yes, god does have a conversation with 'satan' but he does not oppose god (like in Christianity) in the tale but rather follows his orders.

The story of Adam and Eve is another example. Was Eve tempted by satan to eat the fruit of knowledge? It's an interpretation. The story only says she was tempted by 'the snake'. Who was the snake? Possible another interpretation is man's ill will.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 09:48:19 AM »
Except that the Snake actually represents fertility and creation. These ancient facts come from over the world, in different countries. Only recently did Man's ego make the snake a thing of evil. And by having a woman fall victim to the so-called evil, has painted her in a negative light. Like the story involving Lilith. Except that Lilith chose not to be obedient to man's dominance and is therefore a truly strong, independent woman in my book. And she is everything but evil. All this was done on purpose by a bunch of egotistical men who wanted control over the opposite sex. To take away a woman's power and make her feel that she had no place in the world except under the dominance of man. Sadly this is still very prominent in today's society and it is totally unacceptable on every and any level.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 09:03:32 PM »
I could understand Lilith since the ancient tribes are either matriarchal or had equality between both sexes. However when societies evolved further, women were brainwashed to be the weaker sex and that is something that must be changed.

Tags:

anything