Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Japan: It's Not Funny Anymore  (Read 7450 times)

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« on: March 04, 2010, 08:20:36 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5484581/japan-its-not-funny-anymore

Damn...that doesn't sound like much fun at all.  :(

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:34:18 PM »
I agree with the first comment tl;dr

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:51:42 PM »
I agree with some of the things mentioned in there too. It's very true that the Japanese are serious when it comes to jobs. Their work ethic is literally off the scale! And it is because of this lack of R&R that they have THE highest suicide rate in the world that is matched only by America's crime and murder rate. Unreal!! Another issue is their school system. It's strict. Too strict even for most people. Right from the get-go the youth are put under the gun and made to conform to the expliced expectations of the society in which they serve. Also their parents expect them to make something of themselves otherwise they're a disapointment (there is such a thing as too much disciplin). And on part of working almost 24/7 non-stop is so they can earn just enough money to make end's meet (No wonder they commit suicide).

-X
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:45:50 PM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:59:27 AM »
Well, if that makes you feel good, there isn't anything happy where  I live either.
In the recent years, all of the comedy shows here are based 90% on black humor.
That's quite obvious, since all you could read about in the newspapers in Israel in those recent years is one of these topics:

-Iran's nuclear program
-Horrible car-accidents
-Grotesque crime and violence
-Corrupted politicians
-Terrorism
-How much the world hates us (MAJOR TOPIC)
-Celebrities nobody gives a shit about
-Arguments between the political Left and Right
-Self-criticism (MAJOR TOPIC)

Even the movie Israel sent to the foreign Academy Awards contest reflects this: the movie, Ajami, deals with the criminal wars inside the Arab communities in Israel, The hatred between the Jewish and Arab citizens, the lack of confidence of citizens in the Police forces,
and the Police forces' failure to deal with crime.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 12:04:23 AM »
Some of the things the article complains about are reasonable (like super expensive living) but others, like the stuff about "bad anime" just mean he hasn't been looking hard enough--there's a lot of crap nowadays, but there's good stuff as well.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 11:09:35 AM »
Hey! That's also something I forgot to complain about...It's too expensive to live over there even for a middle class citizen. But they do still have good anime. In case you can't find any new anime that's good then simply look to classic anime that literally defined a generation.

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 12:46:40 PM »
Japan drains my wallet when I import albums. :'(

Offline PVG

• AlcLVL39%
  • Hunter in Training
  • Stank HOs
    • Awards
Re: Japan: It's Not Funny Anymore
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 03:51:48 AM »
And it is because of this lack of R&R that they have THE highest suicide rate in the world

Orientalist myth of the west.

Anyways, to comment on the blog: you know they call you a newbie when you are in the beginning phase of a random excitement. What's the word they call you when you turn into a bitter cynic and only remember "the good old days" of that random excitement? There is a lot of this type of gaijin in here, all they do is complain. I avoid them myself, since the whining isn't actually a morale boost.  ;D
------------------

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:02:35 AM »
I read this last week (most of it), and it was really interesting. It was actually kind of nice to hear about the negatives of Japan, since nobody ever seems to talk about that. All you ever really hear about are their exports.

As far as stuff about Japan goes, it was great counterbalance to all the useless crap Brian Ashcraft posts about on that site. Seriously, I think I've had my fill of Ashcraft stories accompanied by pictures of busty action figures/anime girls/video game girls/Japanese women. I didn't know you could still be a weeaboo after living in Japan for an extended period of time.   :-X

It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 02:58:44 PM »
That bit about Chokokuro Cafe is exactly what happened to 2D CastleVanias after Symphony.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 04:56:22 PM »
That's funny because it's true.

"Hey we tried this one thing and it was popular!"
"Yes, let's make EVERY SINGLE THING AFTERWARDS BE PRETTY MUCH THAT THING! :O"
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 08:32:23 PM »
I'm in agreement with Anime, but it might just've been me seeing the animes and noticing it more and more as time goes by. I like Harem anime, the one where there's a guy with 29 girls to choose from, but recently, they have 20 a year and 19.9 of them suck. I'm still into manga a good bit though, haven't been a disappointment, atleast up to the point that I just more or less stop reading em.

I like the idea of smokign areas in restaurants... I don't smoke either. But if it's true that you have to pass the smoking section to get to the non smoking section... that's just stupid.

But anywho, there is too much to read.

Offline VGuyver

• Haunted by Typo's
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Haunted by Typo's
    • Awards
Re: Japan: It's Not Funny Anymore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 03:55:29 AM »
meh, so much of what he said is true. The ironic thing is that much of what he said, is indeed why japan's economy has been stagnant for the last 20 years. The other reason is lack of immigration... thus lack of new ideas, culture, and and perspective is being brought into japan to further evolve it. I definitely like this author.

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 03:39:51 PM »
Good lord could that rant be any longer. Is he attempting to compete with the bible in length?
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline Highwind Dragoon

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 08:29:48 PM »
Then don't read it.  He can make his articles as long as he needs to.  8)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 08:46:24 PM by Highwind Dragoon »

Tags:

anything