Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What is the best 3d castlevania game  (Read 15036 times)

Offline ROCKMAN X

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« on: August 16, 2014, 04:49:06 PM »
Obviously the N64 ones are just cringe worthy and  the latest lords of shadow series seems to be imitating god of war so i'm more curious about the original PS2 titles that came and faded into obscurity.

I've played Lament of innocence once and quite frankly i didn't like it because the whip was such a clunky weapon in a 3d game,i was just too bored to get any far in the game so i was wondering is  curse of darkness the best non-gow influenced 3d game? because it doesn't seem to have a whip wielding character.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 06:41:34 PM »
+1
This has been asked a few times over the years. Personally I like the second N64 game, Legacy of Darkness, the most. I think captures the feel of the classic pre-SOTN Castlevanias very well in 3D. The general consensus on the PS2 games seems to be that Lament of Innocence is the stronger game. Largely owing to the level design of Curse of Darkness.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »
My personal favorite is is LoI but as terms of most CVish the 64 games do the best to represent CV in a 3D world.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 08:46:59 PM »
my favs curse of darkness

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 09:21:59 PM »
I'd second everything Ratty said.

Legacy of Darkness is my favorite, and more what I had hoped for in the following 3D games.  I did very much enjoy Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness (though of the two, I liked LoI better), and I'm just not quite satisfied with the Lords of Shadow games.  If we were to ever get more Konami-made 3D games, I'd wish someone would look to LoD on the 64 and say, "What made this good?  Let's do that, but with today's technology."  Not, "Let's basically make a carbon copy and try to ride on it's success." (however much or little, I know) but, "Let's sincerely analyze this, find the elements, and actually, thoughtfully, from great grandma's recipe and our fresh, homemade ingredients, make a great new game."

:-\ Yeah...odd analogy...I know...it works in *my* head though. :rollseyes:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 09:25:50 PM by theANdROId »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 01:50:28 AM »
The Arcade.

Offline ROCKMAN X

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 10:34:14 AM »
I'd second everything Ratty said.

Legacy of Darkness is my favorite, and more what I had hoped for in the following 3D games.  I did very much enjoy Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness (though of the two, I liked LoI better), and I'm just not quite satisfied with the Lords of Shadow games.  If we were to ever get more Konami-made 3D games, I'd wish someone would look to LoD on the 64 and say, "What made this good?  Let's do that, but with today's technology."  Not, "Let's basically make a carbon copy and try to ride on it's success." (however much or little, I know) but, "Let's sincerely analyze this, find the elements, and actually, thoughtfully, from great grandma's recipe and our fresh, homemade ingredients, make a great new game."

:-\ Yeah...odd analogy...I know...it works in *my* head though. :rollseyes:
Do you get better weapons or other characters in LOI? because i really hate how the whip works in 3d and especially the N64 games seem to have even worse whip controls.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 11:01:15 AM »
Do you get better weapons or other characters in LOI?

Yes and no. There are no other weapons besides the sub-weapons Leon uses. You will find three other whips in the game; Thunder, Ice and Fire. The vampirekiller is the final form of the whip of Alchemy. In order to play other characters they must be unlocked after beating the game.

And while the N64 titles may be very clunky with the control scheme and the god-awful camera, they are in my mind as close as you can possible get to a near-correct translation of Castlevania in 3D. Plateforming, atmosphere ,etc. Both LoI and CoD are essentially dungeon crawlers while LoS borrows heavily from other popular games of the time it came out and combines them. God of War and Shadow of the Colossus are the two strongest elements found in LoS.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline ROCKMAN X

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 05:18:58 AM »
Yes and no. There are no other weapons besides the sub-weapons Leon uses. You will find three other whips in the game; Thunder, Ice and Fire. The vampirekiller is the final form of the whip of Alchemy. In order to play other characters they must be unlocked after beating the game.

And while the N64 titles may be very clunky with the control scheme and the god-awful camera, they are in my mind as close as you can possible get to a near-correct translation of Castlevania in 3D. Plateforming, atmosphere ,etc. Both LoI and CoD are essentially dungeon crawlers while LoS borrows heavily from other popular games of the time it came out and combines them. God of War and Shadow of the Colossus are the two strongest elements found in LoS.
Man it such a shame because lament of innocence seem to have better atmosphere&music than Curse of darkness(which seems a tad bland TBH)

My main beef is with using whip in 3d it just doesn't work,even lords of shadow's whip just makes me wish i was playing God of war instead... whip is like a flamethrower in 2d games it works flawlessly but in 3d games it is abysmal.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 10:23:37 AM »
Man it such a shame because lament of innocence seem to have better atmosphere&music than Curse of darkness(which seems a tad bland TBH)

My main beef is with using whip in 3d it just doesn't work,even lords of shadow's whip just makes me wish i was playing God of war instead... whip is like a flamethrower in 2d games it works flawlessly but in 3d games it is abysmal.

The main character in Legacy of Darkness is a werewolf who doesn't use a whip. You unlock the original Castlevania 64 characters after beating the game with him. Legacy also vastly improves on the camera from Castlevania64.

It also has the best version of "The Sinking Old Sanctuary" unfortunately only used in one short level.

CastleVania ~ Legacy of Darkness Soundtrack ~ Art Tower ~ The Sinking Old Sanctuary
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:30:25 AM by Ratty »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 11:00:24 AM »

You will have an easier time playing cornell the wolfman in LoD then you would with Reinhardt Schneider. However Cornell doesn't have the same attack range as Schneider does.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »
It also has the best version of "The Sinking Old Sanctuary" unfortunately only used in one short level.

Definitely my favorite rendition of the theme!  I love the songs and soundtracks of nearly all of the games, from the 8-bit era to current, but I think the sound of the tracks in this game are always my favorites.  Something about them...in the same way some have said that the N64's CV games are the best look/feel of a CV game in 3D, I feel that way about the music of these games.  They just *feel* the best somehow.

Offline ROCKMAN X

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »
You will have an easier time playing cornell the wolfman in LoD then you would with Reinhardt Schneider. However Cornell doesn't have the same attack range as Schneider does.
Thanks,i'll play the N64 games anyway because they're only 3d games which actually sticks to what original castlevanias were all about i really admire them for that(even if they're not that good).

Tags:

anything