Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Best Dracula's Death/Castle Destruction Sequence  (Read 7855 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
Best Dracula's Death/Castle Destruction Sequence
« on: November 12, 2014, 03:55:52 AM »
I love boss death sequences, specially Dracula's. I like when they come with creative ways to dispose of the Dark Lord himself.

My top favorite Dracula death is from Curse of Darkness. It clearly shows how he "cloaks" the vessel and how his spirit works like a parasite. I also have a special place in my heart for Super Castlevania IV's. It's very poetic and also shows how Dracula is not 100% dead.

My favorite Castle destruction sequence has to be PSX Chronicles one. I love how the castle was rendered there, and how it crumbles. Once i considered Curse of Darkness and SotN's and even DXC, but for some reason Chronicles comes on top every time.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Best Dracula's Death/Castle Destruction Sequence
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 05:45:21 AM »
This belongs in "Classic Castlevania Threads".
I will move it after it gets more views.

We don't want to go down the slippery slope and then everyone will start posting "What's your favorite..." threads in this section.  This topic is a "Classic Castlevania Threads" kind of topic, even if it won't get as many views there.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 07:51:18 AM »
Interesting question!  I don't think I've ever really considered either of those things much.  I might could answer in regards to his final form...
I do particularly remember his death sequence in Cornell's mission on LoD, and the idea that the events of that sequence were how Drac got his wolf form are neat...but beyond that, I don't know that I've ever paid much attention to how he dies or how his castle crumbles.

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »
My favorite death sequence for Dracula is from Portrait of Ruin. The sun entering from the window, the vanishing of the Count, and the music are perfect for me. The SCIV version is similar, with a cool ultimate transformation in bats, with the last one being consumed by the light. But I prefer the PoR version :P.

As for the Castle destruction, I love the PSX Chronicles version, too. That details of the Castle were simply amazing for me the first time that I saw.

As an extra, did another Castle Destruction Sequence includes a running to the castle door, like in Lament of Innocence? I always asked after finishing a game, how is that the hero could survive a destruction with limited time to escape.

So, the combination of the three mentioned games (PoR-CVC-LoI) in one Dracula´s Death/Castle Destruction Sequence, makes the perfect ending for a Castlevania game :D.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:04:37 PM by Mike Belmont »
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 05:52:12 PM »
My favorite Castle destruction sequence has to be PSX Chronicles one. I love how the castle was rendered there, and how it crumbles.

^This^

I love how it harks back to the classic Castlevania crumbling sequence but is done in stunning 3D and made to look like something out of an old 30's horror flick. it was brief but awesome at the same time.  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 01:09:01 AM »
Symphony wins out over all of them, IMO. Chronicles and DXC come next. I guess maybe with Aria following in fourth place.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 01:55:46 AM »
Best castle destruction is LoI. You can actually see him run out. I think an honorable mention would be DXC. I'm not sure about Dracula death though.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 01:56:36 AM »
Dracula's death in PoR was indeed great. His sprite was also greate (not the portrait).

As for castle destuction, I liked MoF's and OoE's (the towers falling in lakes). (Julius' attack in AoS also destroyed a part of the castle, which was very cool to see too.)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 07:01:28 AM »
I do particularly remember his death sequence in Cornell's mission on LoD, and the idea that the events of that sequence were how Drac got his wolf form are neat...but beyond that, I don't know that I've ever paid much attention to how he dies or how his castle crumbles.

I do agree that this was his best death sequence. The whole Cornell's wolf form jumping out and saving Aida was brilliant.
Was this supposedly how Dracula obtained wolf form? I thought technically LOD/ 64 aren't part of the canon, they're gaiden to the og timeline. I believed that since the wolf form was half of Cornell, this allowed Dracula to reincarnate into Malus, who is implied to be Cornell's son.

Second to that I would say OOE, using Dominus, that death was debilitating to the dark lord. The suspense of using it and finally delivering that blow to Dracula felt well earned.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »
The only place I know (off the top of my head) that actually says that's how Drac got his wolf form is the "Game Theory: Castlevania "Dracula Spectacula" episode.  However, I only saw that episode within the last year I think (about the same time I stumbled upon Game Theory...and watched every episode available at the time!)

I don't remember where, but I've seen and/or heard a number of times (before Game Theory) that this "wolf theory" was true.  Otherwise, I couldn't verify it...and as you said, the timeline is so crazy, how can one truly say. ;-P

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 05:01:09 PM »
The only place I know (off the top of my head) that actually says that's how Drac got his wolf form is the "Game Theory: Castlevania "Dracula Spectacula" episode.  However, I only saw that episode within the last year I think (about the same time I stumbled upon Game Theory...and watched every episode available at the time!)

I don't remember where, but I've seen and/or heard a number of times (before Game Theory) that this "wolf theory" was true.  Otherwise, I couldn't verify it...and as you said, the timeline is so crazy, how can one truly say. ;-P

Well here's some food for thought, let's say this was true. Dracula obtains his wolf form from Cornell and this happens before the events of the Bram Stoker novel.
How does Alucard then have this ability? I realise in SOTN you earn abilities, but canonically Alucard can already turn into mist/bat/wolf.
Alucard was born in approx. 400 years after Dracula according to SOTN's manual, so if LOD isn't canon then I'd say as per the Bram Stoker novel, this ability is inherent of being the Lord of the Vampires (and/ or part of this lineage)
Having said that in CV III Alucard can only turn into a bat, however, I still see these abilities as inherent until we're told to the contrary.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline AxeLord

• Hector's #1 Fan
  • Hunter in Training
  • Where's the damn wall meat, Ellis?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 05:52:51 PM »
In my opinion, the best is EASILY the Sypha ending from Dracula's Curse. When Trevor puts his arm around her and the castle crumbles, it's just awesome. My favorite ending of all time. :D
Roses are red,
violets are blue,
but enough talk -
have at you!

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 10:30:18 PM »
Rondo of Blood, with all these souls fleeing and shit, very cool. I will give best Dracula's death to Chronicles decapitation before he turns into his 2nd form, its not really a death, but meh.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 02:48:48 PM »
Well here's some food for thought, let's say this was true. Dracula obtains his wolf form from Cornell and this happens before the events of the Bram Stoker novel.
How does Alucard then have this ability? I realise in SOTN you earn abilities, but canonically Alucard can already turn into mist/bat/wolf.
Alucard was born in approx. 400 years after Dracula according to SOTN's manual, so if LOD isn't canon then I'd say as per the Bram Stoker novel, this ability is inherent of being the Lord of the Vampires (and/ or part of this lineage)
Having said that in CV III Alucard can only turn into a bat, however, I still see these abilities as inherent until we're told to the contrary.

Very good points...I've never really thought about it or questioned it.  It made sense by itself, and I don't know why but I never thought to consider if it made sense in the context of the whole timeline.  But then, they cut these two anyway, so... X-P
But again, you make a good point!

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 05:53:29 PM »
In any CV game, haunted castle 3's dracula's death. Dracula's ending speech in sotn is my second favorite. My favorite castle crumble is SOTN's.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Tags: