Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 599519 times)

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #1395 on: January 26, 2017, 03:45:37 PM »
Finished all the Shantae games and then moved on to Monster World (MWIV and WBIMW beat).
WBIMW and MWIV are really good games. When I was a kid I played the former and didn't even know the latter was a game until its appearance on the PSN. MWIV wins out for me though, it's a good game, I think I may still be on the leaderboards for time attack.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1396 on: January 26, 2017, 03:58:36 PM »
Still playing PSN downloads to see which ones I should keep. Ultratron was fun, but eventually you get all the upgrades and you're unstoppable. I couldn't even keep up with what was going on in later levels, but still had enough firepower to survive.

Teslagrad was next. Not a bad game, might go back to it.

Now playing Transformers Devastation. Didn't know Platinum did this one...seemed kind of boring at the very beginning, but it's not too bad now. I never knew after all these years that Megatron turns into a tank now, instead of a handgun. Makes more sense, I guess.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1397 on: January 26, 2017, 04:04:03 PM »
Been playing nothing but Stardew Valley.
But I got a PS4 from a friend, so now I may get started with some Bloodborne.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #1398 on: January 26, 2017, 04:43:07 PM »
Now playing Transformers Devastation. Didn't know Platinum did this one...seemed kind of boring at the very beginning, but it's not too bad now. I never knew after all these years that Megatron turns into a tank now, instead of a handgun. Makes more sense, I guess.

iirc, part of the reason G1 Megatron is a tank in Devestation was to promote his Combiner Wars toy, which was G1 Megatron as a grey tank (though this wasn't the first time Megatron was a tank).  The fact that Combiner Wars was a thing explains one detail of the ending too, but not gonna spoil.  It also explains why Devastator and one other boss are in it I guess.

I kinda thought the game was going to be very repetitive when I fought both Megatron and Devastator twice in the first chapter, and combined with the fact that I kept getting my ass kicked by the first Devastator fight in the first chapter kinda didn't make a good impression for me.  But then I kept playing and now I have 66 hours clocked into this damn game.  Yeah, the base gameplay holds it up very well imo.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1399 on: January 26, 2017, 05:32:17 PM »
In Transformers G.I.Joe comics the Cobra organisation retrofits Megatron into a tank.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
« Reply #1400 on: January 28, 2017, 01:42:48 PM »
In Transformers G.I.Joe comics the Cobra organisation retrofits Megatron into a tank.
Then there was that time where Japan had a toy Megatron that transformed into... a Mega Drive.  This is (or was) a real product.

Been playing Double Dragon Neon in anticipation of Double Dragon IV.  I wonder how IV will hold up to the other games?

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1401 on: January 31, 2017, 01:05:39 AM »

Been playing Double Dragon Neon in anticipation of Double Dragon IV.  I wonder how IV will hold up to the other games?

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm just really excited that they're making a brand new one, and not a remake of the first game for the 1024th time. Instant purchase for me, but then again, I'm a huge DD fan.

Just played Metal Slug 3 for the first time. Meh. I know a lot of people love the Metal Slug games, but it just made me wish I was playing Contra instead.

Now I'm about to wrap up the Resident Evil HD Remake. Man, I forgot how much I love the first game. I've always been a fan of games 1 through 4 in the series, but nothing beats the setting of the first game.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #1402 on: January 31, 2017, 03:01:44 AM »
Maybe I'm naive, but I'm just really excited that they're making a brand new one, and not a remake of the first game for the 1024th time. Instant purchase for me, but then again, I'm a huge DD fan.

Just played Metal Slug 3 for the first time. Meh. I know a lot of people love the Metal Slug games, but it just made me wish I was playing Contra instead.

Now I'm about to wrap up the Resident Evil HD Remake. Man, I forgot how much I love the first game. I've always been a fan of games 1 through 4 in the series, but nothing beats the setting of the first game.

I love DD as well, Neon was awesome.

Yeah, I never got into the Metal Slug games, Contra is much more fun.

Agreed, nothing beats that mansion. although I love 3 and 4 the most, I might just love HD more when I replay it. 4 just had awesome gameplay and being OTS was just more intense, but they dummed down the puzzle segments significantly. Wesker and Krauser mode in mercenaries was also the shit.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1403 on: January 31, 2017, 03:49:36 AM »
Hell yeah, those two were the best in Mercenaries. That mode was an excellent surprise at the end of the main game...so much fun.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #1404 on: January 31, 2017, 07:29:49 AM »
 Waiting for a great opportunity when Rosenkreuzstilette is finally launched to the world. Properly.
Hold a self Mega Man X festival for nostalgia by re-visiting various kind of official version, sample/beta/prototype version and rom hacks of several games.

I like how Rockman X5 prototype version done and its direction of what it will become, but the drastic change of final version is a little bit shame. They can REALLY place Deep sea Track in the final game.
Have been doubt if they were to have some serious voice acting in X5. Sigma Head shouts in the prototype version.

X6 also has some fancy things that was cut from final (LV.4 Zero Nightmare and alternative method to get Black enhancer of Zero, and true Zero VS. Zero Nightmare - there's one conversation that was dummied out.) It's rumored that X Ultimate Armor was changed to the final color (Black) at the last few moments before release.
I really feel it would be so awesome to set a true Zero VS. LV.4 Zero Nightmare (with a LONG life bar) gauntlet battle.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:32:39 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #1405 on: February 02, 2017, 04:24:54 AM »
I'm not fond of Metal Slug series cauz' I am suck with the control scheme.

Heard Japanese PSN has a PS2 classic re-release of King of Fighters 11... Wanna give a try through "legit" media.

Wanna ask PSN, when can I get the legit re-release of Mega Man X Collection and Mega Man Anniversary Collection (PS2)?  Legacy collection disappointed me SO BADLY. And thinking how awesome it will be when playing Mega Man 3 for stable 59-60 FPS.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:40:12 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
« Reply #1406 on: February 02, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »
Yeah, I never got into the Metal Slug games, Contra is much more fun.

I think Metal Slug has its own merits compared to Contra, since they have different enough mechanics.  However, they both have one thing in common: they're both below Gunstar Heroes on my favourite run n' gun charts.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1407 on: February 04, 2017, 10:40:49 PM »
Just played Double Dragon II on NES...playing DDIV made me want to play DDII just for the sake of comparison.

Also started up Wolfenstein: The Old Blood on Death Incarnate difficulty. So many tethered robots to fight at the beginning, can't wait to get into some more traditional combat. I hope this one is at least half as good as The New Order was...loved that game.

Offline TheTextGuy

• Vampire Hunter
  • Rocket punch!
    • Awards
« Reply #1408 on: February 05, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »
Just played Double Dragon II on NES...playing DDIV made me want to play DDII just for the sake of comparison.

Hey, I did the same thing when I played DDIV.  Was kinda like "was II as meh as IV".  Came away overall thinking that it's a game that still holds up, as yeah, the knee's overpowered, but getting it consistently took a lot of practice, which made it all the more satisfying.  Also, the game's levels feel much tighter and more filled with action imo.  I think II had focus in comparison to IV, which was kind of a hodgepodge.

Also played III and Return of Double Dragon, and I came away thinking "III isn't that great (and IV is better) and Return of/Super is better that IV, but it needs more polish" before going on a tangent consisting of Kunio Kun games (Shin Nekketsu and Shodai Nekketsu).

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1409 on: February 06, 2017, 01:00:58 AM »
The worst thing about Super Double Dragon is that (IIRC) the publisher rushed it out the door, and used smaller cart space than the developers intended. They had a handful of several ideas that they were supposed to put in the game, but they got the axe thanks to time/space constraints. I think there was an interview at the Double Dragon Dojo about it with one of the developers. The Japanese version is a bit more complete with the extended final stage and all, but still not the same as what they intended (same thing happened with DD Advance, which turned out to be an excellent game, but had a lot of stuff dropped for the same reasons).

I also wished they could've had better character design and more environmental hazards to spice up the stages a bit, then it could've been fun.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 01:28:20 AM by JR »

Tags: