Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 586943 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #570 on: July 11, 2013, 12:56:23 AM »
+1
Rockman 1 is the hardest Megaman game, and one of the best soundtracks in the franchise.
It has aged well, because considering it is the first, and how old it is, it's wonderful how it plays by today standards (at least for me, because I love retro gameplay).
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #571 on: July 11, 2013, 03:26:13 AM »
+1
I remember the day I finally beat that vicious bastard. It was long after I had met the challenges of MM2,3, & 4.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #572 on: July 11, 2013, 03:05:31 PM »
I wonder, can you use the SELECT trick in the PSN version?

Shoot an ELEC BEAM at his eye, and right when it strikes the eye, press SELECT to pause the game.  Then press SELECT to unpause, then very quickly press it again to Re-pause.  That split second after you unpause counts as an extra hit, so you can beat the Yellow Devil in only maybe one shot if you time your pauses and your initial shot right...

You cannot do this trick in the MegaMan Collection or in MegaMan: The Wily Wars, but emulated titles, whether on PSN, VirtualConsole, or XBLA, should still probably have that old glitch.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #573 on: July 11, 2013, 03:39:20 PM »
+1
MGS: Peace Walker. I bought the legacy collection despite the fact I own most of the games already.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #574 on: July 11, 2013, 08:16:06 PM »
+1

Shoot an ELEC BEAM at his eye, and right when it strikes the eye, press SELECT to pause the game.  Then press SELECT to unpause, then very quickly press it again to Re-pause.  That split second after you unpause counts as an extra hit, so you can beat the Yellow Devil in only maybe one shot if you time your pauses and your initial shot right...

You cannot do this trick in the MegaMan Collection or in MegaMan: The Wily Wars, but emulated titles, whether on PSN, VirtualConsole, or XBLA, should still probably have that old glitch.

I have heard of this but I made the desicion not to do, at thetwo days ago I thought it would feel so good beating him legitmately, but seeing as this is a port of the famicom version I'm think it will work the only thing that comes up when I press select is a menu that I can't read    :P and that should not make a difference right? 

In the meantime I'm almost done with megaman 9

I remember the day I finally beat that vicious bastard. It was long after I had met the challenges of MM2,3, & 4.

MM games that I have completed are RM, MM2,MM10, MMX, MMBN 3,4, Zero 2,4, and zx(Aile is my favorite female in the series). My friend did let me borrow legends but gahh I cannot bring my self to complete it I have borrowed this game so many times and I have failed every time.

Rockman 1 is the hardest Megaman game, and one of the best soundtracks in the franchise.
It has aged well, because considering it is the first, and how old it is, it's wonderful how it plays by today standards (at least for me, because I love retro gameplay).

It's odd for me while I love the original six robot masters the only song that really gets me saying oh yeah is

electman theme(this is in my opinion the best song in MM1) maybe iceman's as well and as for the hardest I'm not to sure about MM1 I can beat it now when I have trouble sleeping while 3 on the other hand is the one I'm having problems with. I hope I still have the pass word written down  somewhere :-\

As for my favorite game in the series It X1, MM2, ZX/MM1( It's a tie at the moment) I would say it's my third favorite series behind cv. Zelda being the close second. But It's not due to the games that I liked him so much but rather the show

Mega Man TV Show Intro [HD]

I watched the heck out of this show and I was really little too maybe 3,4 I'll push it at the latest with 6 but it left an impression on me. Super fighting robot FTFW  :D
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #575 on: July 12, 2013, 01:37:53 AM »
+1
Tower of Doom off of Chronicles of Mystara PS3. Some of the bosses are a major pain, but hey I learned to finally know the time to burn the troll boss, shame when I tried on the ship part, he fell offscreen where the oil couldn't reach him. I then got an earful from two NPC's that I should burn them, no duh if he had fallen onscreen he'd be dead by now.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #576 on: July 12, 2013, 02:28:45 PM »
+1
Still playing Tomb Raider...really loving this game. Best $16 I've spent in quite a while.

Also started playing Sleeping Dogs, just because it was on PS Plus. Pretty fun so far. Story and setting seem to be pretty enjoyable. I really like the combat, even though I'm still getting used to it, and getting killed a lot.  :-\

Also started another run of Zelda II. I was reading entries on Cutting Room Floor and suddenly just got an urge to play it again. Still really intriguing to me, with all of its oddities (especially the Great Palace...that's one hell of a final stage). Too bad my original cartridge won't work...I had to buy it on the Virtual Console...feels so wrong. :p
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« Reply #577 on: July 12, 2013, 02:55:37 PM »
+1
Alternating The Last Of Us and...

(click to show/hide)

Yeah, I know...
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #578 on: July 12, 2013, 03:37:26 PM »
I have that game, and so does Freak.
I've only done two stages, though.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #579 on: July 12, 2013, 04:56:29 PM »
+1

I don't think so, since Select doesn't work the same way it does on the NES version. I have the PS1 disk and it brings up a submenu.

However, there is still that awful, sadistic glitch where the game freezes if your last shot on Wily is an Elec Beam.

To actually contribute to the thread... Beat Metroid Prime 1 last weekend, so I've started on Echoes. It's okay so far, but I dislike the beam system and the progression in the Dark World (though it looks cool). The Power Beam also randomly decides to pause in your rapid fire which drives me up the fucking wall. It's like how in Metal Slug games past X, they decided to not let you fire the pistol as quickly when you're standing up... WHY?

I also played the NES Rygar and got further than I've ever been. Lord, this game is obtuse, but I guess not as much as, say, Metroid 1. The music is also pretty awful (see below):

Thttp://vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/rygar-2a.mid.

I still kind of dig the game, despite some baffling design choices.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:06:28 PM by Munchy »

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
« Reply #580 on: July 12, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »
+1
I don't think so, since Select doesn't work the same way it does on the NES version. I have the PS1 disk and it brings up a submenu.

However, there is still that awful, sadistic glitch where the game freezes if your last shot on Wily is an Elec Beam.

To actually contribute to the thread... Beat Metroid Prime 1 last weekend, so I've started on Echoes. It's okay so far, but I dislike the beam system and the progression in the Dark World (though it looks cool). The Power Beam also randomly decides to pause in your rapid fire which drives me up the fucking wall. It's like how in Metal Slug games past X, they decided to not let you fire the pistol as quickly when you're standing up... WHY?

I also played the NES Rygar and got further than I've ever been. Lord, this game is obtuse, but I guess not as much as, say, Metroid 1. The music is also pretty awful (see below):

Thttp://vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/rygar-2a.mid.

I still kind of dig the game, despite some baffling design choices.

Likewise when I press select a menu does appear but apparently you can

1) -The Select button weapon multi hit glitch-

Multi-hitting single bomb explosion? WOW!
This is probably the most well known glitch in the game. This glitch works with all your weapons (even the Hyper Bomb) except the Rock Buster. It's easiest to do with the Rolling Cutter and Thunder Beam. Here is how it works. Shoot your weapon at an enemy, then the moment it makes contact press the "Select" button. The enemy will get hit, become stunned and start flashing. Then, wait until the flashing stops which means they are no longer stunned. When that happens, return to the game and immediately press the "Select" button once again. If you time it right the enemy will get hit again. You can repeat this as long as the weapon you used is still making contact with the enemy. This works wonders against the bosses. Also for the enemies that don't get stunned, you can just repeatedly press Select once the weapon makes contact. Cheap you say? VERY! I don't mean to brag but only use this sometimes against Elec Man, if at all because it takes away a lot of the challenge from the game and I already find this game easy without it. 

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/575618-rockman/faqs/30644?page=1

This is where I got it from

As for Rygar uhh I was up till late in the morning playing that and when I beat it oh do not get me started that freaking ending oh man that ending...... I will not speak of it.

Also in other news I just beat Megaman 9 a couple minutes ago. So out of the classic series that's 1,2,9,10 I guess 8 or three is up next I'll have to buy four off psn seeing as  I don't play on my wii as much now adays.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:37:20 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #581 on: July 12, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »
+1
(click to show/hide)

That game looks pretty fun. But Bayonetta is still at the top of the fetish-fule fighters I want to get when I eventually pick up a PS3. A list that consists of *checks* 2 games. Welp, I've got to have SOMETHING other than Sly Cooper to play to justify the eventual purchase to myself :I

PS- Been playing some of the Killing Floor summer event.

Offline Belmontoya

• Composer/ Voice Actor
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-09-Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #582 on: July 12, 2013, 07:11:42 PM »
+1
The Last of Us will pretty much blow anyone's mind. The game is just that incredible.

@Pfil, what's your PSN? Multiplayer on The Last of Us rocks!
The worst monsters are human.

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #583 on: July 12, 2013, 09:38:28 PM »
+1
What?! You didnt like the Rygar music?! I love that whole soundtrack! Especially this one Rygar - Sagila's Cave

You links all messed up on that song link btw. The game is a bit confusing in a CV2 kinda way but I still consider it a total classic and one of my fav NES games

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #584 on: July 12, 2013, 10:12:05 PM »
+1
What?! You didnt like the Rygar music?! I love that whole soundtrack! Especially this one Rygar - Sagila's Cave

You links all messed up on that song link btw. The game is a bit confusing in a CV2 kinda way but I still consider it a total classic and one of my fav NES games

I had hopes for this game and all was going well till after I beat it and I saw that ending that freaking
(click to show/hide)
. One of my least favorable NES games it that ending just killed it for me.  :( And folks say cv2 is bad  :P

Edit: it's 12:37 am right now where I live and I jusat beat MM3 on my NES. Now it's time for MM8 or 4 but I have to buy 4 first  :) .
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 12:39:02 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)

Tags:

anything