Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Tri-Monthly Dungeon 3D Art Contest (Deadline for entries Dec 31th 2014) UPDATED  (Read 21744 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
**The contest has been adjusted in scale to ensure max participation from members.

A coffin, sometimes referred to as a casket, is a funerary box used for housing the bodies of the deceased. This is usually in preparation for burial in a cemetery or crypt. Coffins are often used by vampires to protect them during the daylight hours when they are forced to rest for fear of being exposed to the ultraviolet radiation of the sun. Tradition holds that a vampire must line his or her coffin with a layer of soil from their native land. The vampire lord known as Dracula maintained his coffin in the bowels of his ancient castle fortress nestled in the mountains of Transylvania.

We should take volunteers on who would like to be judges for this contest the same way we did the sprite contest

RULES: Participants of the 1st Annual Dungeon 3-D Art Contest will create a single prop of Dracula's Coffin using Autodesk Maya, Zbrush, 3DS MAX, Blender or whatever 3-D or what modeling/sculpting program that works for their theme.

Contest starts on October 17th, 2014, PM Pacific Time (PT)

Deadline for entries is December 31st, 2014 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time (PT)

Winner's will be announced and posted on the dungeon by January 7th, at 11:59 (PT)

Judges will be able to judge: January 1st - January 6th

There will be awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place.

There will be no teams allowed for this month's contest. (Mods, my suggestion is for us to make some of the alternate entries in the sprite contest into Team Awards since we will have multiple awards for Teams in the future

There are no poly-count, style, or art limits.

Participants are free to choose any iteration of Dracula's Coffin from any game in the Castlevania series provided the prop is in full 3-D.

All scenes will be fully textured and lit with light sources.

All props can be in low or high poly meshes.

A WIP (work-in progress) thread must be made and maintained in the contest. ( Feedback and critiques from members is encouraged.)

All final renders will include screenshots from multiple perspectives or real-time video in high resolution that best shows the angles of your prop.

The art submitted must be originally made for this contest. No existing art work will be accepted.

Artist participating must be a member of The Castlevania Dungeon. Registration is free.

Please Note: Judges are encouraged to participate, but entries will not be counted during a contest.

JUDGES:
1.) Darkmanx_429
2.) ZeroSaberGreen
3.) Uzo

FREE MODELING TOOLS ON THE NET:
http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/25-free-3d-modelling-applications-you-should-not-miss/

To view your models in realtime online in 3-D: https://p3d.in/

Entries

BMC_Warmachine:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Aelfwine:
https://p3d.in/Bu2h1
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

C.Belmont:
https://p3d.in/T3yEw
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Darkmanx:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:17:43 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: 1st Annual Dungeon 3D Art Contest (Deadline for entries Nov. 30th 2014)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 12:33:07 AM »
I like this idea.

I think some of the non winning 2d award sprites can be converted into awards for this contest.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 06:29:34 AM »
Thanks for the re-post Shiroi.

Any volunteers for judges?

The contest officially starts today.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 02:18:15 PM »
I'm not sure I'm qualified to judge something like this. I don't have any real experience with 3D modeling, just a little with programming 3D rendering.

Though in general I wonder, given the large amount of work involved, do you think the turnout will be any good? Not to put the idea down, just seems like in comparison to sprite work 3D modeling takes an insane amount of time to be doing casually, especially if you want any degree of quality. Starting off with the Castle Keep may be overshooting the barrier to entry, at least for the first contest.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 03:08:18 PM »
***Contest has been adjusted.***
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 04:13:33 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 03:17:12 PM »
Rather than push the deadline back, I'd recommend picking something with a smaller scale. Just a little warm up to get things started. This may not be a completely appropriate example, but something maybe like, bring into 3D a classic Castlevania item, like the Whip Upgrade, one of the Sub Weapons, or a Potion, etc. Hearts are too easy though, I'd disallow them as an entry.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 03:52:18 PM »
Rather than push the deadline back, I'd recommend picking something with a smaller scale. Just a little warm up to get things started. This may not be a completely appropriate example, but something maybe like, bring into 3D a classic Castlevania item, like the Whip Upgrade, one of the Sub Weapons, or a Potion, etc. Hearts are too easy though, I'd disallow them as an entry.

***Contest has been adjusted.***

1st post has been modified.

The contest has been scaled down to just a single prop which for this month is Dracula's Coffin.

Thanks Uzo!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 04:26:56 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 04:38:47 AM »
No problem. The theme you chose is really good too. We haven't seen one of those in a long time. Very fitting for the season. I'm expecting to see some badass designs.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 07:21:18 AM »
Hey guys we still need judges!

Who wants to judge?

We need 2 more.

I'll help judge this contest as well for this month.

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 12:58:02 PM »
This is severely limiting to those of us who either have no modelling experience or don't have access to the tools.

Just a thought.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 06:41:19 PM »
This is severely limiting to those of us who either have no modelling experience or don't have access to the tools.

Just a thought.

Not really. Ever tried Blender? It's free and on the net.

Hell, I got my bud Warmachine started using Zbrush in less than 30 minutes by text and he never even picked it up before.

Here are a bit of free modeling tools to start looking at:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/25-free-3d-modelling-applications-you-should-not-miss/ (Updated 1st post.)

All you have to do is with like anything else is play with them. You only have to make 1 small prop. More than a month is plenty of time for you to learn the tool enough to get something made. That's why posting your WIP is very important. That way you can get feedback and questions answered promptly without wasting too much time researching stuff. Don't overthink it dude.You definitely don't have to be a master to be in these contests! That's also the other intent of these contests to get people into doing 3d stuff that never tried it before, nothing wrong with that!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:45:37 PM by darkmanx_429 »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 10:41:03 PM »
I own all the Autodesk software. Learning to do this shit well is not a two-day task. I still don't know how to use the shit and I've tried more times than I care to acknowledge.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 04:39:35 AM »
I own all the Autodesk software. Learning to do this shit well is not a two-day task. I still don't know how to use the shit and I've tried more times than I care to acknowledge.

Ever tried Digital Tutors.com man? I am sure you could you could do tutorials on there to get you started. Some of those tutorials are only a few hours and they are broken into manageable smaller chunks that you can work at your leisure.

Try that out bro, they work wonders!

Offline Ofthenight

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 03:49:23 PM »
Hope this happens, love to see some more fans get into 3d stuff. Great idea Darkmanx

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 05:37:03 PM »
Is anyone even interested in this contest because if not, I am going to cancel doing 3D contests and just keep the 3D section.... :'(

Tags: