Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest X  (Read 14714 times)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: December 09, 2017, 11:43:52 PM »
I know there have been a lot of these popping up recently, but I had another idea: An entire re-imagining of Casltevania 2, where only the core of the game remains. You play Simon Belmont in a metroidvania action adventure and gather the remains of Dracula in order to resurrect him and break the curse he has placed upon you and your people.

Improvements:
-Well crafted, interesting, and smooth graphics. Increased resolution and colours.
-Multi-chip soundtrack
-Full save system
-Map System
-Equipment System, similar to that of later Castlevania titles.
-Movement system akin to that of Richter's in SotN, but toned down and more suited for horizontal movement rather than vertical.
-Entirely reworked map to eliminate backtracking and monotony.
-Clever enemy placement and better designed dungeons.
-Actual real bosses that you have to defeat
-No more cryptic bullshit, and no more relying on townsfolk for all your information.
-Night comes gradually, and has no message at all.
-More true difficulty, less fake difficulty.

Still deciding whether or not it's an idea worth going with.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 09:46:18 AM by Bloo »
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 01:43:36 AM »
This sounds more like a remake than a reimagining.

I know that these terms are often used very loosely, but let me explain.
To me a reimagining implies altering or even completely changing its genre.
Like an idea I wrote down years ago where I reimagined CV2 as a standard gothic-horror platformer with a light brancing path system, end-stage bosses, and alternate day and night versions of each stage.

This sounds more like, and I'm all for this, an enhanced remake that doesn't rely on preexisting assets.
Regardless, I think it would be very worth pursuing.
"Stuff and things."

Offline PyramidHead

• Vampire Hunter
  • Don't look into the Death Star, or you will die.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 02:12:04 AM »
Personally, I would like to play it. There is never enough SQ stuff - I want more :D.

May be you would like to make a linear SQ version in the style of Castlevania 1? Like that "perfect sequel" people were expecting back then? Would be awesome. And of course it would be much easier and faster to make. Nowadays we have plenty of various metroidvania style games with RPG elements, so that stuff looks kind of generic these days (at least to me). Linear old-school action on the other hand never gets old. (Just an opinion :).

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 05:25:53 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3MQozUzGbE&index=7&list=PL3_-twTUHjdPIDeQb6DwivQPNqt-_V2u3
Here's Shimoine's playlist, let the VRC6 flow through you...

Also, keep a 16:9 aspect, and keep to 8-bit graphics, maybe even within the Master System's color Palette; a gradual palette swap on limited graphics is MUCH easier to handle, plus Parallax scrolling just looks impressive on 8-bit.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »
If you go with NES+ graphics a la Odallus and a leveling system that isn't going to make the game a walk in the park I'm in.
Gotta get away

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 08:57:51 AM »
If you go with NES+ graphics a la Odallus and a leveling system that isn't going to make the game a walk in the park I'm in.

Exactly my thoughts.

16:9 aspect ratio and increased palette is a must, btw.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
  • How Do I Get the IV Upgrade?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 03:10:58 PM »
You could definitely expand on this concept and make a lot of the areas different from one another.  Each mansion can be a different area entirely say like an underground cave with a hidden chapel in it with a guardian looking over one of Dracula's remains.  More enemies, both new and old, definitely have a variation even with some specific to certain areas.  Another thing  you could expand upon is when the player gathers all of the remains and summons Dracula, Castlevania itself reforms but not entirely making the  player go through new 6 different stages to reach and destroy Dracula after fleeing from being resurrected.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 04:36:08 PM »
You could definitely expand on this concept and make a lot of the areas different from one another.  Each mansion can be a different area entirely say like an underground cave with a hidden chapel in it with a guardian looking over one of Dracula's remains.  More enemies, both new and old, definitely have a variation even with some specific to certain areas.  Another thing  you could expand upon is when the player gathers all of the remains and summons Dracula, Castlevania itself reforms but not entirely making the  player go through new 6 different stages to reach and destroy Dracula after fleeing from being resurrected.

Hmm, it could always be a shortened sequence. Kinda like the first stage in Bloodlines.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 10:19:08 PM »
I like how you remade the Simon sprite attack. Very fluid. I'd give this title a shot.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Sinis

• Vampire Hunter
  • How Do I Get the IV Upgrade?
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 07:11:49 AM »
Hmm, it could always be a shortened sequence. Kinda like the first stage in Bloodlines.

Maybe though I'd have everyone go through the castle re-imagined in a chaotic state while still keeping it player friendly.  Kinda like a new twist to something that was forced to come back into existence.

Offline Holy Diver

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 11:16:02 AM »
Exactly my thoughts.

16:9 aspect ratio and increased palette is a must, btw.
I'm a little opposed to increased palette.
Since I already mentioned Odallus, the NES feel in that game comes mostly from the fact that color limitations are mostly the same as those on the system(few places have too many sprite palettes).
Still, I'd have to see an example of what you mean to make a proper judgement.
I'm assuming you're adding colors due to the lack of dark and/or desaturated colors on the NES?
But I do agree that 16:9 is necessary.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:17:45 AM by Undead Waiter »
Gotta get away

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »
I'm a little opposed to increased palette.
Since I already mentioned Odallus, the NES feel in that game comes mostly from the fact that color limitations are mostly the same as those on the system(few places have too many sprite palettes).
Still, I'd have to see an example of what you mean to make a proper judgement.
I'm assuming you're adding colors due to the lack of dark and/or desaturated colors on the NES?
But I do agree that 16:9 is necessary.

Quite the opposite. NES doesn't have enough variety in vibrant colours IMHO.Thinking about setting myself at an 80 colour limit. (as opposed to NES's 64 colours)

Offline Holy Diver

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 03:39:55 AM »
Quite the opposite. NES doesn't have enough variety in vibrant colours IMHO.Thinking about setting myself at an 80 colour limit. (as opposed to NES's 64 colours)
Ok, but please tell me 8 palettes with 3 colors and 1 universal color is still a thing.
Gotta get away

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 04:33:10 AM »
Ok, but please tell me 8 palettes with 3 colors and 1 universal color is still a thing.

Think more or less the limitations Shovel Knight sticks to. I'm not willing to compromise potential detail for sake of colour faithfulness. However, I'm not going to use colour where it is not necessary.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 10:33:15 AM »
I heard that Shovel Knight was created with the NES limitations in mind.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: