Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Carpathian Night Starring Bela Lugosi  (Read 104054 times)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Carpathian Night - Demo now available!
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2018, 06:37:27 PM »
Nice demo! I had to chuckle at the opening theme as it was the same tune used in the original Mummy staring Boris Karloff. Playing the game I didn't notice any bugs worth reporting. Everything seemed to play fine. But then again I've not put the demo through a solid ringer of tests either. But casually it plays well enough. I was also getting a CV Legends vibe during the play-through. Might have been the musical composition that was doing it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »
Nice demo! I had to chuckle at the opening theme as it was the same tune used in the original Mummy staring Boris Karloff. Playing the game I didn't notice any bugs worth reporting. Everything seemed to play fine. But then again I've not put the demo through a solid ringer of tests either. But casually it plays well enough. I was also getting a CV Legends vibe during the play-through. Might have been the musical composition that was doing it.

Several of the classic Universal monster films used that for their intro, including Dracula! I definitely wanted that reference in there. I love those movies.

I still haven’t played Legends, but I see the strong similarities from the gameplay footage I saw. It was completely unintentional though.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2018, 02:22:48 AM »
Played through the demo, everything is amazingly solid and intact, and it seems there's no major "fatal" problem action-wise, but from my personal view the knockback track after being hit seems a bit off and it's hard to resume the position of player character
I don't think the hit detection of whip (chain?) round swing special skill is good enough, could be a bit better
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline ProjectDread

• Vampire Hunter
  • Nightmare Class Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2018, 10:02:21 AM »
Just finished the demo. I'll post my thoughts a bit later, but overall the impression was good!

The main menu theme sounded really familiar so I did some digging, and I finally found it online (it starts at about 03:20):

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:06:35 AM by ProjectDread »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2018, 10:17:31 AM »
Who'd ever though that Swan Lake would end up being the musical choice for monster mashes, lol.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2018, 03:03:33 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it’s highly encouraging.

From other gameplay videos I’ve seen, I think I’m not doing a good enough job of teaching the mechanics. For anyone that plans on playing the demo, here are some of the moves that some players aren’t figuring out on their own.

First, there’s the 8 way attack. Up + Attack for Up attack, Up+forward for diagonal attack. While in mid-air, you can also do down and down diagonal attack.

If you push down + jump, you will perform a dash move that provides a quick boost of speed. It takes a few seconds to recharge, as shown on the green meter on the top left of the screen.

Finally, Irina’s special move can’t be modified, but Dorin’s Phantom attack can. Push a desired direction + the special attack button to launch the phantom in that direction. It works the same as the regular attack, you have 8 directions total in which you can launch the phantom.

I’ll probably be expanding the intro area a bit to do a better job of teaching these mechanics. And again, thanks for the feedback everyone, it’s extremely valuable to us as we continue to improve the game.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2018, 09:31:20 AM »
First, there’s the 8 way attack. Up + Attack for Up attack, Up+forward for diagonal attack. While in mid-air, you can also do down and down diagonal attack.

If you push down + jump, you will perform a dash move that provides a quick boost of speed. It takes a few seconds to recharge, as shown on the green meter on the top left of the screen.

These two as well as the special attack I discovered on my own, although the slide ability I had some trouble with since I couldn't figure out how to repeat it  ;D  At least now I do  ;)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Carpathian Night - Demo coming very soon!
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2018, 04:12:33 PM »
The demo is here! Download at:

https://carpathiannight.itch.io/carpathian-night

Feedback is greatly appreciated! Let us know what you like, dislike, or anything else in between.

Didn't know you made this in Unity. That is pretty cool.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2018, 04:03:42 PM »
Didn't know you made this in Unity. That is pretty cool.

Yup, its a Unity game. I picked that engine mainly because I already had some professional experience with it. I love how easy it is to use compared to some of the other things I've tried in the past.

On a side note, we plan to release an improved version of the demo in time for late September or early October. Some of the features/additions/improvements we plan on adding are:
-Casual, Hard, One-Hit-Death modes
-A remixed level designed to be extra difficult
-An expanded tutorial area, adjustments to the rest of the level based on feedback
-Better compatibility with Xbox and Playstation controllers
-Hidden secrets (think wall meat)
-Story and lore introduction scene
-Bug fixes

And if we manage to get all that done in time, we are also experimenting with a "Monster Rush" mode, where you go through as many monster filled rooms as you can before dying.

Thank for your support and stay tuned!
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:20:12 PM by VladOfWallachia »

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2018, 03:16:56 PM »
I'm making an announcement about the future of Carpathian Night.

Carpathian Night will definitely not be ready by the end of 2018. However, we are currently working on a short, hour long prologue game that takes place about 100 years before Carpathian Night. The game stars the dark prince himself, Count Dracula, before he became lord of the vampires. The gameplay style will remain mostly the same as the CN demo, but with some light RPG and exploration elements, similar to Simon's Quest.

This short prologue game is targeted to release before the end of the year, or early 2019 at the latest. This prologue game will set up the events of the main game, which stars Irina and Dorin and follows their journey to castle Dracula.

As always, stay tuned!

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2018, 04:42:43 PM »
First screenshot of prologue:

(click to show/hide)

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2018, 05:28:57 PM »
Like the screen shot! Got some good coloring going on there.

Offline Darkmoon

• ICVD Keeper
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I Have No Idea Where I'm Going
    • Castlevania: The Inverted Dungeon
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2018, 07:10:49 PM »
I'm making an announcement about the future of Carpathian Night.

Carpathian Night will definitely not be ready by the end of 2018. However, we are currently working on a short, hour long prologue game that takes place about 100 years before Carpathian Night. The game stars the dark prince himself, Count Dracula, before he became lord of the vampires. The gameplay style will remain mostly the same as the CN demo, but with some light RPG and exploration elements, similar to Simon's Quest.

This short prologue game is targeted to release before the end of the year, or early 2019 at the latest. This prologue game will set up the events of the main game, which stars Irina and Dorin and follows their journey to castle Dracula.

As always, stay tuned!

I'm intrigued and interested in it. I really enjoyed the demo I played.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2018, 01:07:30 PM »
Like the screen shot! Got some good coloring going on there.

Thanks, this adjustment was made after feedback from the demo came in. The demo is a little too dark, and if Rondo taught us anything, its that you can retain that eerie horror atmosphere while using bright colors.

I'm intrigued and interested in it. I really enjoyed the demo I played.

The prologue will be even better!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2018, 04:42:58 PM »
Thanks, this adjustment was made after feedback from the demo came in. The demo is a little too dark, and if Rondo taught us anything, its that you can retain that eerie horror atmosphere while using bright colors.

They also did that in SCV4 and Bloodlines  ;)

Tags: