Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Carpathian Night Starring Bela Lugosi  (Read 104050 times)

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: Carpathian Night - Halloween 2019 Demo now available!
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2020, 09:16:09 AM »
I find it quite amazing at how little one can put into pixel image and yet it comes out looking extraordinary! A work of art!

This artist previously only made our poster and t shirt design, but now he is more committed to the project and will contribute in-game art as well. I’m looking forward to see what he comes up with, this wolf scene is just an early test for him.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2020, 10:51:18 AM »
Oooo, I’ve been stalking this game on YouTube!  I can’t wait for it to release, I’m really looking forward to it!  (I need the soundtrack stat, lmao!)

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2020, 03:53:28 PM »
Oooo, I’ve been stalking this game on YouTube!  I can’t wait for it to release, I’m really looking forward to it!  (I need the soundtrack stat, lmao!)

Wow, good timing, I was just about to post a question here regarding our youtube channel. Thanks for the feedback.

Currently, we just upload short gameplay clips to our youtube channel, but I am interested in trying to make a development vlog series for Carpathian Night. I don't have experience making dev vlogs, so I'm not sure what people would want to see in them. Currently, some of my ideas for the content include:

-Exclusive gameplay footage
-Interviews with members of the development team with a focus on their specific contributions to the game
-Concept art work
-Concept level design sketches
-Commentary or reviews of the games, movies, comics, books etc that have inspired certain aspects of this project
-Storyline/Lore discussion
-Answer questions from our followers

Does any of this sound interesting? If so, which sound the most interesting? Which sound the least interesting? Is there something not on the list that you would be interested in seeing? If you already follow a dev vlog, why do you follow it and what are your favorite parts about it?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2020, 08:14:46 PM »
make a patreon
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2020, 11:48:40 AM »
All of that sounds interesting!

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2020, 08:11:17 AM »
In this podcast, we talk about everything Carpathian Night! Check it out to find out more about our upcoming Steam demo. We also go over many related topics such as the sources of inspiration for CN and other details about the project.

https://wearepodcasts.podbean.com/e/we-are-bagu-s01e13-carpathian-night-with-cesar-hernandez/?fbclid=IwAR15f7T9v11JrLDogMPL9Zj7I3qIOIbo5oW592Kw8CBZT4M0SXboPVN94AE

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2020, 12:01:43 AM »
Vampire version:

Hopefully I'm not too late on this but I remember reading that this game is going to combine the historical Dracula with Bram Stoker's Dracula but yet this concept art is once again rehashing the Hamilton Deane Dracula with the lack of facial hair and high collared cape although iconic but it's actually nothing how Dracula is actually described in the novel where he actually looks much closer to the historical Vlad Tepes ironically enough.

This is what he actually looks like how's actually described in the book

As you can notice you've been wondering where Count Orlok from Nosferatu's look came from....Since in the novel, he's actually described being clad in black from head to toe without a single speck of color and he first appears as a old man in the beginning of the novel but he grows younger after drinking blood once he arrives in England.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:07:19 AM by Zydalc »

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: July 29, 2020, 07:12:48 AM »
Hopefully I'm not too late on this but I remember reading that this game is going to combine the historical Dracula with Bram Stoker's Dracula but yet this concept art is once again rehashing the Hamilton Deane Dracula with the lack of facial hair and high collared cape although iconic but it's actually nothing how Dracula is actually described in the novel where he actually looks much closer to the historical Vlad Tepes ironically enough.

This is what he actually looks like how's actually described in the book

As you can notice you've been wondering where Count Orlok from Nosferatu's look came from....Since in the novel, he's actually described being clad in black from head to toe without a single speck of color and he first appears as a old man in the beginning of the novel but he grows younger after drinking blood once he arrives in England.

Thanks for the commentary, we will keep this in mind. We have been getting questions about our version of Dracula, so I'll elaborate here.

First, in our lore, we consider the Bram Stoker novel to be 100% canon. When this project originally started, our Dracula was not the Stoker Dracula at all, instead it was the historical Dracula, Vlad Tepes. However, we felt there was far more creative freedom when working with the fictional Stoker Dracula, so we changed the antagonist as a result.

Do we consider our Dracula to be the same person as the historical Dracula, as seen in the Coppola version of Dracula? No. We read through a lot of commentary about this topic. Many make the argument that there is enough evidence in the novels to say that Vlad Tepes and Stoker's Dracula are the same person, but I felt like the counter arguments were more convincing. In addition, sticking purely to the fictional Dracula gives us more creative freedom, so it made the most sense to make the two people separate.

Regarding Dracula's appearance. You're right, the Dracula described in the Stoker novel looks different from Dracula's mainstream image, but our excuse is that the novel takes places in the 19th century, while Carpathian Night takes place in the 15th century. If we ever need to portray Dracula in the time period of the novel, I do fully intend to portray him as he is described in the novel. We are using Carpathian Night as a sort of origin story for Dracula. In this time period, Dracula has only been a vampire lord for a few years, and before that, he was a living, breathing human leading his army against the invading Turks. However, against such overwhelming force, even the brilliant and gifted Dracula fell to the might of the greatest empire in the world... but death will not stop the young prince, it will only strengthen him as he returns later as Lord of the Vampires, with an army of the dead at his back, and finely harnessed dark magic learned at Scholomance, from the devil himself.

As for the Count Orlok version... we don't plan on referencing that in this game, but if there is ever a CN sequel, I already have big plans for a villain that takes heavy inspiration from Orlok's design.

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: July 29, 2020, 09:58:13 AM »
Thanks for the commentary, we will keep this in mind. We have been getting questions about our version of Dracula, so I'll elaborate here.

First, in our lore, we consider the Bram Stoker novel to be 100% canon. When this project originally started, our Dracula was not the Stoker Dracula at all, instead it was the historical Dracula, Vlad Tepes. However, we felt there was far more creative freedom when working with the fictional Stoker Dracula, so we changed the antagonist as a result.

Do we consider our Dracula to be the same person as the historical Dracula, as seen in the Coppola version of Dracula? No. We read through a lot of commentary about this topic. Many make the argument that there is enough evidence in the novels to say that Vlad Tepes and Stoker's Dracula are the same person, but I felt like the counter arguments were more convincing. In addition, sticking purely to the fictional Dracula gives us more creative freedom, so it made the most sense to make the two people separate.

Regarding Dracula's appearance. You're right, the Dracula described in the Stoker novel looks different from Dracula's mainstream image, but our excuse is that the novel takes places in the 19th century, while Carpathian Night takes place in the 15th century. If we ever need to portray Dracula in the time period of the novel, I do fully intend to portray him as he is described in the novel. We are using Carpathian Night as a sort of origin story for Dracula. In this time period, Dracula has only been a vampire lord for a few years, and before that, he was a living, breathing human leading his army against the invading Turks. However, against such overwhelming force, even the brilliant and gifted Dracula fell to the might of the greatest empire in the world... but death will not stop the young prince, it will only strengthen him as he returns later as Lord of the Vampires, with an army of the dead at his back, and finely harnessed dark magic learned at Scholomance, from the devil himself.

As for the Count Orlok version... we don't plan on referencing that in this game, but if there is ever a CN sequel, I already have big plans for a villain that takes heavy inspiration from Orlok's design.

More than anything, I guess Dracula in Carpathian Night can look more like this perhaps? Imagine him wearing all black armor

All I'm saying is ditch the mainstream Hamilton Deane Dracula since it's far been overused and there's no need to rehash it. 

As for Orlok I never said to include him at all in this game but rather I was trying to point out that Orlok's all clad in black suit attire is exactly how Dracula himself is described in the novel therefore Dracula himself should reclaim that image that is now usually associated with Orlok.

Although at the same time though Orlok has a different origin than Dracula who was a spawn of Belial according to the film and there isn't much more than that so I guess he can fit somewhere in a sequel though being a more twisted and rat like reflection or mockery of Dracula himself whose a carrier of the black plague that is given the fact he was originally created as a Stand In character to avoid copyright issues but failed miserably when Stoker's Widow ordered all copies of the film to be destroyed but only pirated versions survived of course.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 01:37:22 AM by Zydalc »

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: July 29, 2020, 11:01:10 AM »
More than anything, I guess Dracula in Carpathian Night can look more like this perhaps? Imagine him wearing all black armor

All I'm saying is ditch the mainstream Hamilton Deane Dracula since it's far been overused and there's no need to rehash it. 

These are all good points. It will make me consider this aspect more. In CN, Dracula is fresh out of Scholomance, so maybe his costume should reflect that. What would the lord of the vampires and recent graduate of Scholomance be wearing in the 15th century? Interesting things for me and the team to think about.

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #160 on: July 29, 2020, 11:31:57 AM »
These are all good points. It will make me consider this aspect more. In CN, Dracula is fresh out of Scholomance, so maybe his costume should reflect that. What would the lord of the vampires and recent graduate of Scholomance be wearing in the 15th century? Interesting things for me and the team to think about.

Well since he's a Vampire Dark Overlord, I guess should be wearing all black armor with dragon imagery therefore alluding his future novel description.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2020, 06:30:48 PM »
You guys can also study up on armour and noble outfits of 15th century Romania and see what designs you can cook up.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2020, 07:05:55 AM »
+1
Few are capable of surviving the horrors that await in the Borgo Pass... those who endure will reach the gates to the ancient Castle Dracula, where the nightmare truly begins!

(click to show/hide)

Other updates:

The next demo will likely contain some remixed levels I have been experimenting with. I call them "Wicked" levels- they are remixed versions of the regular levels designed to be extra difficult. I will modify the level geometry, and the lineup of monsters, traps, and obstacles. Here is a short preview of the Wicked version of Borgo Ruins 1:

https://youtu.be/Ez5IKRNjU-s

If these Wicked levels are received well in the upcoming demo, I'll move forward with my plan to make a Wicked version of every level in the game.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 01:40:30 PM by VladOfWallachia »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2020, 10:00:37 AM »
You were doing so good until the torch fire knocked you into the pit! Old school death right there  ;D

What you have looks good. And also the enemies redesigns look good too.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Zydalc

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: September 01, 2020, 11:20:34 PM »
You guys can also study up on armour and noble outfits of 15th century Romania and see what designs you can cook up.

BTW I think I've found some

« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 11:32:42 PM by Zydalc »

Tags:

anything