Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami releases Skelattack  (Read 3913 times)

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« on: June 12, 2020, 07:52:19 AM »
https://www.skelattack.com
So Konami released like an action platformer based on a new IP on PS, XBOX and Switch, meanwhile a certain well established franchise of theirs hailed for its influence on that particular genre is still stuck in a gacha and pachiko hell.
Makes you wonder????

Skully do be swinging that sword tho
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 07:59:10 AM by Holy Diver »
Gotta get away

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 09:46:19 AM »
konami has lowered their standards drastically

that's like a fucking indie platformer you'd see for $5 on switch

or for free on newgrounds
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 11:50:17 AM »
konami has lowered their standards drastically

that's like a fucking indie platformer you'd see for $5 on switch

or for free on newgrounds
Hol up, are you implying Konami has standards? lol
Newgrounds is exactly the kind of vibes this gives off to me.

Wellp, I forgot to mention the other studio behind the game: Ukuza games. So far they've only 2 games behind their belt: this one and Epic Loon(which is also a platformer of sorts, but has a more interesting art style).

I know that this is just a cheap cashgrab, but a part of me wants to believe that Konami is testing the waters for a future platformer(I mean Castlevania, this is CV forums, of course I mean Castlevania)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:07:13 PM by Holy Diver »
Gotta get away

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 01:17:19 PM »
Konami please sell all your game IP's to actual game companies.

Breaks my heart what happened to this company. I don't care if they are turning a profit each year with their new business model.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 06:44:49 AM »
honestly at this point i feel like konami could pop out a series of games of objectively legendary-tier quality remaking all the classic and most beloved titles of the series faithfully and a fromsoftware-partnered reimagining of symphony, and the cv community would still be making the same exact complaints against the company it was 10+ years ago and still not understanding broken records don't make the song sound better

like i get the despair and hopelessness guys but goddamn they haven't sold the IPs off or returned to older quality standards in all these years and years of those exact ideas being reposted endlessly, i doubt they're gonna check the boards and suddenly decide now that it's a good idea, ya gotta let go of that unending konami fanbase cycle that keeps bringing y'all back to the same places over and over a little bit, it's bad for youse i tells ya

it's not quite in the same category as the legend of dragoon (or any other "deserves a remake" game, really) communities who don't understand that another fan petition with 12 signatures is just gonna go on the mound of hundreds/possibly thousands and not gonna get a fucking remake made -- but the fruitless repetition is in the same ballpark and sometimes i worry about you guys with how unflinching it's been all this time

I know that this is just a cheap cashgrab, but a part of me wants to believe that Konami is testing the waters
this is totes what they're doing, i'd wager, though i doubt it's a good idea to jump straight to hopes that it's a new CV just because it's a platformer (see above stuff, the holding out hope by the barest threads and instantly praying for a CV on every new thing feels mildly unhealthy and is an honest to god concern i've got with peeps in here, y'all stress me out with this shit i swear)

chances are more likely it's either just something to have out there, or it's a nondangerous release as an audience gauge for yet-unknown reasons which could be anything (or nothing)

anyway skelattack feels like a low-cost low-risk "safe" release that probably won't hurt much even if it bombs

(i don't thiiiiink it will, later-era newgrounds puppet animation and generically-simple drawn pseudoindie artsyle notwithstanding the mechanical core of it looks simple and solid enough that it seems like a fun play -- 19.99 is twice as expensive as it needs to be though, this is a tenner game if i've ever seen one)

besides, i know damn good and well a damn large majority of this forum was around during OG newgrounds and played the shit out of pico and alien hominid and toss the turtle, don't you fucking use newgrounds as a quality benchmark insult (even though the art quality standard doesn't hold up the same in present day, earlier NG broke a shitload of ground for independent creator communities/resources of all varieties, using it to stomp on a cheap lazy artstyle you don't even need to make the comparison to criticize is a discredit)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 06:52:47 AM by Dracula9 »

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 10:42:14 AM »
+1
Skelattack is the first game published by Konami of Europe's new indie publishing program. They do not intend to make their own games through this new effort, they are simply opening up their own indie publishing arm of the company. The head of the program stated in an interview that the focus of the program is on western indie games for western markets. So at least from this new part of the company, we should not expect to see anything Castlevania related, or anything else related to Konami's current IPs. 

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 06:07:19 AM »
Thing is, there's a ton of good games similar to Symphony to fill the void. Try being a Thief fan. Looking Glass Studios went belly-up in the early 2000s and none of the sequels have come anywhere near the quality of the originals. Each time some jackass makes a game and says it's inspired by Thief, it also plays nothing like the originals. The only hope seems to be a recent came called Gloomwood (by the guys who made Dusk)—I really gotta try that out.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 08:32:03 AM »
I should have posted this along with my previous reply, but here is an article covering what I was referring to:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-06-02-konami-looks-west-with-its-new-external-publishing-programme

"The drive is towards publishing more titles from Western studios," Richard Jones, senior European brand and business development manager at Konami, tells GamesIndustry.biz. "So the focus for the European team is domestic audiences. Obviously everyone knows Konami, we have studios and teams in Japan, we have many well-known, well loved IPs. They're all being managed and looked after by our studios in Japan, and what we're looking for is complementary titles, to build the portfolio with things that perhaps [are] new to Konami -- Western titles for Western audiences."

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 07:54:23 PM »
honestly at this point i feel like konami could pop out a series of games of objectively legendary-tier quality remaking all the classic and most beloved titles of the series faithfully and a fromsoftware-partnered reimagining of symphony, and the cv community would still be making the same exact complaints against the company it was 10+ years ago and still not understanding broken records don't make the song sound better

like i get the despair and hopelessness guys but goddamn they haven't sold the IPs off or returned to older quality standards in all these years and years of those exact ideas being reposted endlessly, i doubt they're gonna check the boards and suddenly decide now that it's a good idea, ya gotta let go of that unending konami fanbase cycle that keeps bringing y'all back to the same places over and over a little bit, it's bad for youse i tells ya

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

From my recollection, most of the hardcore CV fans started to revolt when Lords of Shadow was released. Also, given the recent history of Kojima and how Konami treated some of their ex-staff, this is pretty much why fans who were made aware no longer want to support them.

While I am also guilty of throwing gasoline on the #fucKonami fire in previous years, I do think no matter what is done now, the damage has been done to the franchise and has been self-inflicted at broader scale, to Konami itself.

In Summary:

- LoS collectively, as a trilogy, showed they don't care about the original franchise (at least not the way the fans did),
- Konami workplace shenanigans and over-investment/ emphasis into Pachinko scream affiliation with organised crime,
- The original Castlevania series (ending with OOE) is effectively dead, never to be resurrected... (Grimoire of what??)
- Bloodstained is good and a solid franchise but it's not Castlevania.. ROTN is especially not a proper substitute for SOTN/
  Igavania. Rather it's a spiritual successor and more Iga's vision outside of Konami's sealed coffin.

As The Dungeon, can we hold a proper funeral service to let Castlevania rest in peace, finally?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline redrum

• Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 09:45:12 PM »
kinda reminds me of death jr, if anyone remembers that ill-fated psp title
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:46:59 PM by redrum »

Tags:

anything