Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Where's Dracula XX ??  (Read 44729 times)

Offline Kensuke

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: Where's Dracula XX ??
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2007, 12:27:31 AM »
In Reply To #90

Go here.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv-rob/tdxc/

Click on the appropriate image. It should work then.

- John

Offline Kensuke

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2007, 12:39:06 AM »
Some people seem to have it in for DXX like it insulted their mothers.

Yes. DXX insulted my mother...
...and killed my father.
...and raped my sister.

So it deserves to go to hell.  ;D

- John

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2007, 12:48:59 AM »
I think, personally, RoB IS the preferred "canon" version for the simple reason that IGA and the others who created SotN BASED that game on RoB's events, not Dracula XX. Everything to come AFTER SotN bases their "world" on that which was seen in SotN, even some of the "retconned" ones. So, I'd think the canon branch of reality definately went through RoB, while Dracula XX's branch isn't considered canon. There IS a reason why some of the areas in SotN look like graphically upgraded areas of RoB.

And while nothing's wrong with Dracula XX being in your personal canon, when it comes down to official Konami canon regarding the series, RoB is the game that take the spot there!

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2007, 12:50:11 AM »
In Reply To #90

Go here.

http://www.vgmuseum.com/mrp/cv-rob/tdxc/

Click on the appropriate image. It should work then.

- John

Thanks man yeah it's workin' now. Man the japanese version of the manual is all in full color. The one we got is all black and white except the front and back. Somebody was being stingy. :P
_______________________________________ ______________

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Wolfman
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2007, 01:12:52 AM »
I think, personally, RoB IS the preferred "canon" version for the simple reason that IGA and the others who created SotN BASED that game on RoB's events, not Dracula XX. Everything to come AFTER SotN bases their "world" on that which was seen in SotN, even some of the "retconned" ones. So, I'd think the canon branch of reality definately went through RoB, while Dracula XX's branch isn't considered canon. There IS a reason why some of the areas in SotN look like graphically upgraded areas of RoB.

And while nothing's wrong with Dracula XX being in your personal canon, when it comes down to official Konami canon regarding the series, RoB is the game that take the spot there!

Ok, I think I can resolve the differences of opinion here.  There are at least two different ways to define "canon" in the case of Castlevania, or any number of videogame series.  There is the notion that a game is canon or not, and the notion that events are canon or not.  A game like Castlevania Legends is non-canon in both definitions of the term.  Sonia is an non-canon character, and her "event" effectively didn't happen.  Since Castlevania Legends concerns a completely non-canon character in a non-canon event, the game must also be non-canon.  You can certainly argue, and I don't disagree, that DXX is non-canon in that Rondo is the version of the story that IGA prefers, but DXX also describes the Richter defeating Dracula event at the same point in the timeline as Rondo, and in that sense, DXX is canon.  Think of it this way: Castlevania, SCV4, and X68000/Chronicles all tell the same canon event, Simon Belmont defeating Dracula (for the first time), but it only "actually" happened one way.  While all three games are canon in "event" definition, only one is canon in the "game" definition.

Steve

« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2007, 05:58:09 AM »
But no plot element that differs between Rondo and DXX has any baring on what happens in SotN, whatsoever.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 06:02:00 AM by Steve »

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2007, 09:46:12 AM »
I've got news for you, even IGA thinks the timeline sucks. Castlevania's never had an amazing plot and I don't think that will ever change, so all this bickering over useless minutae is pointless.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/interview-iga-t.html
Quote from: IGA
WN: I've wanted to ask this for a while: what do you think, in the whole history of Castlevania, was the worst decision anybody ever made about the series?

KI: Probably when we put out the timeline. Because since Dracula only appears every 100 years, we made the whole timeline and ran out of places to put in another game. I made the timeline, but I shouldn't have actually released it, because now it's all official. That was a bad decision.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 09:48:26 AM by DoctaMario »

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2007, 12:17:21 PM »
The story of a game can--and often does--extend beyond what's spelled out in the game itself.

Quasar

« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2007, 12:44:29 PM »
In Reply To #58

Yeah it's a shame that KCEK didn't care to put in any firm links to the CV story in CotM. They could have explained some relationship between the characters at least, to make it more compelling. But I guess they did what they wanted.

As for the LoD thing, I still disagree. I don't think it's stupid at all to say something like that. And you *can* do whatever you want when you are the owner of a series. To say it can't be done is like saying Tolkien couldn't rewrite the Hobbit and blame the original edition's "mistakes" on Bilbo. BTW, if you didn't know, that's exactly what he did, the Hobbit (and LotR) being supposed "translations" of the fictional Red Book of Westmarch.

There are two ways to look at the games in the Castlevania series. They are either LITERALLY showing us every single event exactly as it happened, free of omission and error. Or, they are subjective interpretations of the Belmonts' fictional family history, and thus subject to errors in presentation. It's not without precedent, as in my example above. I think IGA should have went that route.

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2007, 01:27:56 PM »
The story of a game can--and often does--extend beyond what's spelled out in the game itself.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2007, 02:10:04 PM »
In Reply To #88
Please forgive my ignorance, but who is IGA's wife, specifically? Did they meet working on Castlevania or something? That would be sweet ^_^

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Kensuke

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2007, 04:44:09 PM »
In Reply To #100

As our Japanese friend pointed out, the US manual for DXC adopts the Rondo version in they're related by blood. So that proves nothing other than the fact that the US manual for SotN adopted the DXX version of events, and then the US timeline was retconed back to the Rondo version via DXC.

Again...pick one. They can't both be right.

- John
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 04:45:52 PM by Kensuke »

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2007, 05:10:42 PM »
In Reply To #102

Sure they can, How about..... they're related but they don't know it?! >.>

Offline Wolfman Jake

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2007, 05:50:11 PM »
In Reply To #102

But the point is, neither of them has to be right, because neither scenario makes any difference about what happens afterwards in continuity.  Therefore, the different profiles mentioned in DXX and the U.S. SotN instruction manual are not sufficient reasons to make the claim that DXX doesn't matter or that it was "thrown out of canon."  If you want to hate on the game, try something else, like the art direction, or the gameplay, etc., instead of some picky and inconsequential detail.

Stigma Black

« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2007, 05:57:19 PM »
And yet this thread's dragged on for seven pages. Inconsequential indeed.

Tags: