Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: I can't believe it's not Castlevania music  (Read 118920 times)

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I can't believe it's not Castlevania music
« on: January 08, 2011, 08:18:02 PM »
We may all have different opinions on what a good Castlevania game is, but I think I speak for the majority of the people in here when I say that Castlevania music rocks! :D I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread about video game music (or "real" music) that sounds like it could've been in a Castlevania game. I love this style of music - especially Yamane (when she was at her best) and would really like some recommendations to stuff that sounds like it.

I'll start :D

Deathsmiles (Xbox360). It's a schmup and it's made by Cave. This is stage 1, I think. Very Castlevaniaesque and quite good too.

Best VGM 797 - Deathsmiles - Burning Halloween Town

King of Fighters XIII (Arcade, and soon consoles). The upcoming KoF has a rather boring soundtrack IMO, but then I stumbled upon this and was completely blown away. It's the song that goes with the Elisabeth theme, and it would make a damn fine Castlevania song if you ask me.

The King of Fighters XIII Soundtrack: Each Promise [Elisabeth Team Theme]

Offline Mr.Bushido

• Vampire Hunter
  • I'm the insect woman
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Re: I can't believe it's not Castlevania music
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 08:36:11 PM »
Deathsmiles

Oh yeah that's a shitty game right there =P

Well I think this sounds something like Castlevania, not so much though

J.S. Bach~ Keyboard Concerto in F minor BWV 1056

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:40:47 PM by Mr.Bushido »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 08:41:16 PM »
Oh I like threads like this.

From shatterhand, a NES gem from the early 90's
Best VGM 617 - Shatterhand - Area C
Sounds really similar to Heart of Fire, especially at 0:52.

From the anime Bleach.
bleach ost 16 - shadow's masquerade
If you played this to me and told me it wasn't from a Castlevania game, you would have fooled me.

Offline Mr.Bushido

• Vampire Hunter
  • I'm the insect woman
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 08:45:53 PM »
Well, if you realized, all music similar to bach sounds like Castlevania xD

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 08:50:44 PM »
The main theme from "Return to Salem's Lot"(1987)[Note: Everytime I hear this song, SCV4 pops in my mind]:
♪ A RETURN TO SALEM'S LOT - THEME FROM A RETURN TO SALEM'S LOT ♪

The main theme from "The Howling V":
The Howling V: The Rebirth Theme

The main theme from "Puppet Master":
Puppet Master (instrumental) Main Titles

The main theme from "Phantasm 2":
Phantasm 2 theme

The main theme from "Subspecies":
Subspecies theme

"Crystal Prison" from Splatterhouse 2:
Splatterhouse2 soundtrack - Crystal Prison
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:09:06 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 08:52:18 PM »
Ah, Shatterhand. That game had a great soundtrack, and yes - I definitely hear similarites with Heart of Fire! Never noticed it before.

And while we're talking classical music and Bach, I might as well post this. It's from Dance Dance Revolution. Remix of some Chopin piece. It could've easily been taken from Lament of Innocence;

[DDR] Kakumei - dj TAKA with Naoki

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:50:45 PM »
There's the obvious Malice Mizer. I haven't listened to them in ages, but I felt around when it came out that their album Bara no seidou sounds very Castlevania-esque. Then there are their visuals (particularly with the post-Gackt frontman) which are very reminiscent of Ayami Kojima's style of the series.

Malice Mizer - Saikai no Chi to Bara

Malice Mizer - Mayonaka Ni Kawashita Yakusoku PV

Malice Mizer - Kyomu No Naka De Yuugi PV
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:55:35 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline corneliab

• Forsaken
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 02:01:15 AM »
The main theme from "Return to Salem's Lot"(1987)[Note: Everytime I hear this song, SCV4 pops in my mind]:
♪ A RETURN TO SALEM'S LOT - THEME FROM A RETURN TO SALEM'S LOT ♪

This track is just perfect.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 09:55:09 AM »
FUNFACT about Malice Mizer- mana likes Castlevania (unsurprising considering he's a horror fan) and would love to make music for a game. He apparently wrote a piece for a cell phone version of harmony of Dissonance I think, but it was never used.

think he also had an interview with IGA once.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 10:22:47 AM »
I think that song became a promotional cell phone jingle.

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »
I always think of Castlevania when I hear this song. It doesn't sound incredibly similar to Castlevania, but it plays in The Abandoned Mine area in Ys: Oath in Felghana....which is very dark and almost Catacombs-like. Guess I always made a connection because of that.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana "Snare of Darkness"

The whole OST for Ys: OiF in filled with awesome, upbeat tracks.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 03:20:34 PM »
I think that song became a promotional cell phone jingle.
Speaking of which, I forgot to mention it before, but lets not forget that Mizer DID also make their own Dracula film.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 03:23:27 PM »
I always for Ys III (Oath of Felghana) to be similar to CV just cause. But ya know, with all those horror themes play'n why not just make a classic CV game that uses these themes? I think it'd kick @$$!

-X
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline whitedragon_nall

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »
Yes! A 3D vania using and engine similar to Ys: OiF would be rad. Fun combat? check. Platforming? check. Memorable, upbeat music? check. Make it happen Konami!!!

Sorry for the slight thread derail. Carry on....

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »
Hell, YsIII FEELS like a very very early version of Symphony of the Night.  The interconnecting maps, the castle stage, the enemies, the swordsman hero.
And yeah this tune (even back in the SNES and PCEngine "Ys III : Wanderers from Ys" bersion) feels very CV-like, as do other tunes from that entry.

Oath in Felghana is in 3D Overhead, but the old Ys III was a sidescroller (in case people didn't know).
Ys III PS2 Playthrough (Part 3) Boss 1
Here's the latest version of the Sidescrolling Ys III (PS2).

I love "Be Careful", the track in Tigray Quarry.  And there's like five different awesome versions of the tune (my fave is the old PCEngine CD-ROM version).
Ys III Wanderers from Ys - Be Careful
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:54:40 PM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Tags: