Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MJ1990's Super Castlevania IV No-damage, Hard Mode, "Eternal Candle" Challenge  (Read 47062 times)

Offline Vampire Killer

• HOLY CROSS, Batman!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Wow, I had completely forgotten about this (having a baby will do that). Good job, and thanks again for taking the time. I look forward to future projects.

And LOL @ you teabagging drac at the end.
Behold my true form......IS A CHAIR!!!

Offline markyjoe1990

• The Final Boss
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I am the fooker
    • Markyjoe1990's Fire Emblem Den
    • Awards
Wow, I had completely forgotten about this (having a baby will do that). Good job, and thanks again for taking the time. I look forward to future projects.
Assuming I have it in me, I plan to do a no-hit, one-sitting run of Rondo of Blood. By "one-sitting", I mean that I have to go through the entire game without getting hit once. If I mess up once, I have to start th entire game over from stage 0. I plan to do two different playthroughs, one with the main route, and one with the secret routes, though, I might just do one runthrough with only the hardest stages in the game.

And LOL @ you teabagging drac at the end.
He. fucking. deserved. it.

I spent so much time trying to beat each and every stage under these conditions, and ultimately I don't feel it was worth the frustration. Frankly, tea-bagging him was FAR from satisfactory vengeance.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Wow I agree with Uzo, perfect Halloween video. Great job! I look forward to future endeavors.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Fofa

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Nice to see you actually finished it. I was thinking you just gave up, which considering the challenge you set up, would've been fine in my book.

I'm a little surprised you didn't use the Chronicles version of Simon's theme. That's the most badass version ever.

Offline markyjoe1990

• The Final Boss
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I am the fooker
    • Awards
Nice to see you actually finished it. I was thinking you just gave up, which considering the challenge you set up, would've been fine in my book.
Giving up is something I do way too often. If you look on my channel, I have tons of unfinished playthroughs (with commentary), and I have a tendency of going back on what I say I will do. It's a trait that I really don't like about myself, but more than that, the reason why I kept going with this challenge was because I got so far; quiting now when I'm so close to victory would've been disappointing for me and everyone interested in this playthrough.

I'm a little surprised you didn't use the Chronicles version of Simon's theme. That's the most badass version ever.
That's one of my favorite versions of Simon's Theme, and I do prefer it over the one I used in the video. I considered using it, but the intro for the 2007 arrange seemed more fitting because of the more heroic beginning.

Offline Fofa

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
Giving up is something I do way too often. If you look on my channel, I have tons of unfinished playthroughs (with commentary), and I have a tendency of going back on what I say I will do. It's a trait that I really don't like about myself, but more than that, the reason why I kept going with this challenge was because I got so far; quiting now when I'm so close to victory would've been disappointing for me and everyone interested in this playthrough.

I do that a lot too, but that's mostly laziness on my part.

That's one of my favorite versions of Simon's Theme, and I do prefer it over the one I used in the video. I considered using it, but the intro for the 2007 arrange seemed more fitting because of the more heroic beginning.

Good point on the heroic part.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)

IMO the Bloodlines version is best for me. The genesis soundchip really makes a sinister sound.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
I have my sights particularly set on Rondo of Blood and Castlevania Chronicles, since those two are among my favorites.

CV Chronicles will definitely be a challenge to overcome. Rondo on the other hand might not be so challenging due to the fact that there is no whip power-ups. But the harder version of Rondo ala CV: Dracula X (SNES) would be a more challenging run then Rondo. Try killing Dracula in his pillar-floored tower with NO axes to help you.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline markyjoe1990

• The Final Boss
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I am the fooker
    • Awards
CV Chronicles will definitely be a challenge to overcome. Rondo on the other hand might not be so challenging due to the fact that there is no whip power-ups. But the harder version of Rondo ala CV: Dracula X (SNES) would be a more challenging run then Rondo. Try killing Dracula in his pillar-floored tower with NO axes to help you.
Take note that Chronicles and Rondo would be completely different challenge runs. Chronicles would be a continuation of the Eternal Candle Challenge, whereas Rondo would be a "one-sitting" no-hit playthrough. Sub-Weapons would still be allowed for the latter.

For Chronicles, I'd probably have to make some exceptions regarding candles since it's impossible to avoid the candles in Dracula's boss room. To avoid destroying the candles, Dracula has to be in VERY specific spots on the playing field AND you have to hit him with a diagonal whip shot to avoid hitting candles. This is far too tedious and unfun to be worth it, and, assuming I use the timer, I'd run out of time long before I whittle down even HALF of his health.

As for Dracula X? I don't really have anything in mind for that game, but of all the castlevanias, that's probably the most reliant on sub-weapons since not only is Richter very slow, but the sub-weapons are incredibly powerful, including the daggers which deal the same damage as your whip (Which was a good balancing decision of you ask me). If I did eternal candle, it would be horrible, but at least I'd get a break in between each level. The "one-sitting" no hit run on the other hand would be devilish considering how hard it is to avoid getting hit. I'd probably resort to equipping the axe for most of it simply due to the invincibility frames of it's item crash (Plus the axe is probably the best weapon in that game).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 12:00:58 PM by markyjoe1990 »

Tags:

anything